KS Round Robin - Reloaded

• 129 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: KS Round Robin - Reloaded
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2012, 19:23:19 »
I'm glad you liked the secret area music. I thought the snow looked less jarring on the white ground.

Spoiler: response to issues (click to show/hide)

I lost all CO's on this level once. I could never reproduce it. I've worried about the number of snow objects, but I rarely see performance issues even when big applications are running in the background. The custom object buffers every image at the start of the game, so I don't know why it would overload mid-game. Are you playing with KS1.2.1? I usually use KS+.

Edit: I just played through with KS1.2.1, and it happened when expected. Then, I switched full screen on and off a few times and saw some really crazy stuff, objects appearing in the wrong spot, the game area showing in the upper left corner. Very weird.

I'm not succeeding at removing the pop at 5'34" in Stars at Night. I've managed to turn it into a thut, but I can't eradicate it. So, if someone else want's to try their hand at it, be my guest.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:13:56 by egomassive »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2012, 10:40:30 »
I'm not succeeding at removing the pop at 5'34" in Stars at Night. I've managed to turn it into a thut, but I can't eradicate it. So, if someone else want's to try their hand at it, be my guest.
Who originally made it?  Small bits of distortion like that usually result from a slight screw-up in the mixing process of the song itself before it's mixed down into whatever file someone is using.  Whoever originally made it, if you can reach them, ask them to see if they can tone down the volume just slightly at that part so it doesn't cause any distortion.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2012, 12:14:37 »
I still hear pops in GrayFace's ogg version near 5'34". Didn't try the wav. I think getting a hold of the author would be best. I'll try him through his website later.

I replaced the scores of snow COs with a 48 by 240 version. It cut the count down from 130 per screen to 13. It seems to have avoided the issue we're having. This leads me to believe there's a limit to the total number of CO's that can be created during a single session with KS1.2.1.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2012, 13:09:46 »
That might not be necessary, I think I've pretty much fixed it. This version is in stereo but I crunched the filesize smaller than egomassive's version. If this is deemed acceptable, I can do the same for the other track too.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4353469/Song254_fixedfixed.ogg

Edit: And here's a replacement water cover CO, which should reduce the load (and also fixes the issue of the umbrella showing through the wall).

Code: [Select]
;Place on same tile as fish. Previous objects 20, 22 and 23 now obsolete.

[Custom Object 20]
Image=Watercover2.png
Tile Width=256
Tile Height=240
Offset X=84
Offset Y=-60
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 13:40:43 by sergiocornaga »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2012, 16:33:15 »
Sergio, I'll let you put those files into the game since I already prepared a new version. :P

Download Endless Winter e5b 25MB

This version includes volume adjusted stereo sound, Sergio's version of the info screen, and a snow object that keeps the level from breaking with KS1.2.1. Credits in images have been altered to meet Sergio's concerns. Song254 is the version that's been in there all along minus the pop at the end. Song255 is also the version we've had minus the abrupt end. It turns out that Sion, the author, released that track under 2 names in the same album and both versions end mid-note. I think this version of song255 is fine, but I'm all for Sergio reducing the file sizes.

Edit: [sarcastic]Ah ha ha ha.[/sarcastic] After mentioning that squeezing CO credits in a space smaller than a frame helps prevent user errors, and then changing the credits on a CO to a size larger than a frame, I didn't test it. Level re-uploaded.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 21:13:37 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2012, 15:50:55 »
Wow,  this is looking FANTASTIC!  I haven't played through since most of the new changes have been made.  This post has been a stream of reactions which I am now trying to clean up.

Reactions:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

So this next bit of spoilers is just all the random crud I was writing before I had a complete picture of all the new edits.  Read only if your very board.  Old edits:

Some one else is already next on taking a turn editing right?  If not, I might try to take a turn with some of the improvements I mentioned.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2012, 23:07:48 »
Spoiler: @ Headgrinder (click to show/hide)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2012, 15:39:30 »
Headgrinder, I decided to try and fix some of the things you brought up. Feel free to take a turn now, especially if there's anything I missed!

Download Endless Winter e6 20MB

Note: I didn't do a full playthrough before compressing like I usually do, so there could well be bugs.

Spoiler: Changes: (click to show/hide)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2012, 05:35:13 »
Hey guys!  I just wanted to drop in again and say that what you've put together so far is awesome.  I looking back at my old work, though--specifically, the music for the caves--and I thought I could probably make it a whole lot better and fitting to the feel of the level as a whole.  Is there anything in particular any of you might like me to adjust?  I'm thinking about changing the drums to not be quite so active, maybe slowing things down a little....
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:37:08 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53:01 »
I like it already, so I'm afraid I have no suggestions... but feel free to take another crack at it.

P.S. Someone should work on the level now.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2012, 23:27:04 »
Ultigonio, I like the music too. The way it is now, it gives the impression that you've entered an exciting area. Challenges are few in this level and they can be skipped. I would say it's very appropriate for the musical mood to change for these parts. However, I have no issue with you tweaking your own stuff.

I'm going to pester Healy and Headgrinder about finishing the level, since they both showed an interest. But if anyone is reading this and thinks they'd like to participate, then speak up.

*gives star* for Ultigonio's music!

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2012, 12:58:02 »
I'm super busy with variety of rl stuff right now, plus I'm obsessing about Submachine theories on the Pastel Forums right now.  So, I guess I'll bow out.  If I get free time, I'll pop back in, but I'm not expecting you to leave me anything.  :D

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2012, 03:47:00 »
I think I might have to bow out too. I just don't have as many ideas for this that I thought I would. I do have a request for Lab 1 (more of a joke, really):