• 129 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: KS Round Robin - Reloaded
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2012, 12:47:11 »
*Downloading*

I've been working crazy amounts of overtime, so it may be a while before I can play this, but I'm really excited to see it coming to an end!  Star for now, for all the work you've done, and probably a star for the awesomeness I find when I play it.  :D

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:30 »
Hi,
I don't know if it is a bug or if I forgot about something, but I can't get to the cave with keys. I obtained first card, traveled in time and  visited everyone in village and read the diary. Am I missing something ?

By the way, this level is awesome. I can't wait to see it finished. There are only two minor objections to this level:
some cutscenes
time traveling part - you won't get anything there and it doesn't fit with the rest of the level (yes, I know I am the last person, who should complain about such thing).

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2012, 12:23:19 »
@Polana:

The level is set up so that you actually have to see the locked doors to the reactor before you can get the keys (even though it's otherwise a dead end).

The final version will feature very nice cutscenes by egomassive that you can see previews of earlier in the thead.

As for Linear Greenfire Road, I agree that it's incongruous. But I personally can't think of a way of altering it that stays true to StraightFlame's vision.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2012, 12:52:38 »
I've compiled the credits. I've left no stone unturned, but if I've missed something please let me know before I turn this list into a scene.
Spoiler: credits (click to show/hide)

I've also gone ahead and added credits to tilesets, large custom objects, and audio tracks. I've repaired the ends of the two very long songs by Sion and adjusted the volume and quality of all tracks. While sifting for credits, I found a midi song demo Wako-kun made for us a long time ago. I've converted it into a tiny music piece which could be perfect for various hidden rooms.

@ Sergio: Did you make the ice cracking sound, Song30? I need the credits for it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:54:56 by egomassive »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2012, 13:12:24 »
@ Sergio: Did you make the ice cracking sound, Song30? I need the credits for it.

I could have sworn I hid credits in the comment for that file... maybe I couldn't be bothered because the source file was public domain. You could credit j1987, and me for the slight modifications I made to it.

No stone unturned, you say... didn't Pick Yer Poison create Song21? Is there music by Kevin MacLeod in the version of the level I uploaded? Did you confirm that Ultigonio wrote music?

By the way, I have a slight preference for 'Sergio Cornaga' over 'Sergiocornaga'.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:51:49 by sergiocornaga »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2012, 17:20:57 »
After building the village, Pick Yer Poison had this to say...
Sure, I'll post it here then. :D

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Nifforum_-_Tundra_Trek.knytt_.bin

Renamed to Tundra Trek and ready for action. The custom music is by Kevin Macleod.

Ultigonio did in fact start the icicle caves section. He doesn't mention who made the music. I've shot him a PM about it.

I made an Info screen. Opinions welcome. Image Updated
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:05:12 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2012, 00:04:47 »
Nice.  It would be cool to have a radio tower in the background as reference to the labs... but then again there is no tower in the game.

I guess I will say that the head angle being turned towards the viewer looks a little awkward, though I think it may be something about the line of the spine and neck not being quite natural.  The head might need to sit back a bit further to look right.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2012, 07:16:36 »
I adjusted Juni's head a bit, (see above.) I put this version of her in the cutscene I swiped it from too.

Ultigonio has responded. He did author those tracks. He gave me their proper names, so I can add them to the meta data.

I didn't realize this before that there were several different page turn sounds. I thought it was one sound copied several times. It's possible that some of them have meta data, just not the one I examined. Nevermind, it's the crack sound that's missing data, not the page sound. Too many facts consumed lately.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:06:47 by egomassive »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2012, 09:21:00 »
@ Sergio
Thank you.
I did not notice cutscenes first time. They look awesome (info too).

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2012, 12:00:01 »
Nice.  It would be cool to have a radio tower in the background as reference to the labs... but then again there is no tower in the game.

Maybe something like this?

Edit: Alternate version added.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:05:26 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2012, 12:59:57 »
Oh!  The hatch!  Yeah, I like it!  2nd one is better, on the snowy field. 

@egomassive: yeah, that looks better.  There isn't a dislocated neck feeling anymore.  *thumbsup*

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2012, 15:33:09 »
I was going for a lost-in-the-storm look. The bunker entrance adds intrigue, and I find that much more compelling. If I'd never played this level before I would have to know what's behind that door. I'm most impressed at how Sergio inserted it behind the snow storm!

*Ahem* I've been doing some level editing, while we wait for Healy to possibly finish lab 1. The warp error near the reactor is fixed. I've stuck in my version of the top clearance lab. A few things here and there were tweaked for consistency. All the music has been repaired, volume adjusted, and/or quality adjusted. I added some covers for the edges of the storm near the statue switch. There's some new ambiance surrounding the village to smooth the transitions to the storm. The info screen is in there, as well as an improved icon.

My most controversial move was to put music with the various secrets. I'd like you to try it this way, then tell me if you totally hate it. :P

Download Endless Winter e4 17.6 MB
Edit: newer version available
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 16:36:29 by egomassive »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2012, 18:29:16 »
I totally approve of the secret area music. The snow slope cover objects really raise the bar! You may have noticed I edited the falling snow object to leave less grey noise on the snow, which I'd basically considered 'good enough' with regards to that problem, but the area definitely looks better now.

Spoiler: Some issues: (click to show/hide)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2012, 18:43:23 »
Playing this level has made me aware of a bug in the KS engine... it seems like it can't handle so many custom objects! Twice now, I've encountered a bug where playing from the start of the game up to going to the underwater area with the umbrella in a single session makes all custom objects stop working. I'm going to try replacing Watersquares2-4 with a single huge custom object to see if that resolves (or affects) it.
How many COs does this have? I have more than 150 on a level (although only around 115 files) and I've never seen this happen before.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2012, 18:49:02 »
Playing this level has made me aware of a bug in the KS engine... it seems like it can't handle so many custom objects! Twice now, I've encountered a bug where playing from the start of the game up to going to the underwater area with the umbrella in a single session makes all custom objects stop working. I'm going to try replacing Watersquares2-4 with a single huge custom object to see if that resolves (or affects) it.
How many COs does this have? I have more than 150 on a level (although only around 115 files) and I've never seen this happen before.
Yeah, plural's Orientation had about 150 and I never encountered this problem despite playing through it again and again. This one only has about 40, but there are often a lot on screen at once. Which makes me think it's something to do with the way this level handles custom objects. Hence, experimentation!