KS Round Robin - Reloaded

• 129 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: KS Round Robin - Reloaded
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2012, 23:17:05 »
I worked on this for a while today. I figured I should finish making the cutscenes before I forgot the methods I was using. The ending scene is now three screens from completion complete. Then, I'll have the bonus scene and they'll all be done.

OK then! I'll work on the level until progress slows to a crawl or someone else posts about wanting a turn... whichever comes first.
How are things on your end Sergio?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 18:51:10 by egomassive »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2012, 01:08:23 »
I think it's reached crawl-status. I'll finish up the areas I'm working on and put the level up here within a week.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2012, 17:46:02 »
I've finished the bonus cutscene which means I've completed all the cutscenes. I am quite pleased with how easily these scenes came together and how good they they look. I may stick with this method from now on. Like I said before, I'm going to keep the scenes under wraps until the level is finished, but here's one preview because I'm proud and weak.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2012, 17:57:45 »
That's a really appealing style. I know mixing resolutions is supposed to be a no-go but I like the way it's turned out here. If it really is a lot easier to produce aswell then that's fantastic.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2012, 23:20:24 »
It's an interesting technique.  It does seem strange to use the normal low rez characters for a cut scene, so I definitely see the production appeal. 

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2012, 13:34:04 »
The resolution of the background is low because it's simply an enlarged screenshot which is a huge time-saver, but the best part is the character sprites are reusable. Every pose and expression can be interchanged, plus they're made with vectors so if I need to move an arm I only have to draw a new arm. (There are a few unique poses to keep the characters from feeling static.) Many of the scenes just had to be assembled and that was the biggest boost to production.

Mixing resolutions caused some interesting issues, like what to do when hi-rez characters interact with low-rez stuff. These parts didn't fare so well. There's also the fun fact of Juni's power-ups being just as big as she is. At this scale it becomes comical. I guess the more I analyze it the less appealing it looks for future projects, but the economy of effort versus quality is too good to ignore.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2012, 19:59:47 »
The characters themselves are obviously a huge plus though.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2012, 20:22:54 »
Have you considered using this style for the majority of cutscenes and one of the more time-consuming styles for certain key points of the story? I could see this working really well combined with the style you used in The Dying Core.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2012, 03:12:25 »
I'm sorry to say that I've caught a nasty cold, so putting the level up will have to wait until I'm well enough to use my computer.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2012, 16:57:39 »
Get well soon man, and not just for the upload.

Thankfully I'm well now (it would be a worry if I wasn't by now!) and have resumed work on the level. I've implemented most of the fixes I talked about earlier in the thread along with some other secret surprises. My plan is to put it up soon in a state that can be considered complete (though with all revisions open to discussion and further changes, of course), save for egomassive's cutscenes and the concluding area which I'm leaving for someone else. Maybe Healy if she's still interested!

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2012, 09:11:47 »
Wow, "considered complete!"  Now I'm really looking forward to this.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2012, 21:46:21 »
3.5 months was way too long a turn. But it's over now!

Download Endless Winter version e3 (28.5 MB)

Spoiler: Updated todo list: (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2012, 06:07:13 »
Really great additions and alterations! You fixed so many issues that I couldn't figure out how to fix. The icicle cave challenge in particular was much more fun to play. *gives star*

Spoiler: I did find one mistake (click to show/hide)

I think I'll get started on compiling the credits. This ought to be fun.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2012, 07:20:24 »
Thanks, I'm glad it went down well. As for the error... d'oh, I know exactly what I forgot to do. Serves me right for only testing it in the opposite order. It shouldn't be too hard for anyone to fix, but if needed I can revise it myself.