KS Round Robin - Reloaded

• 129 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: KS Round Robin - Reloaded
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 07:43:34 »
Sounds great. I've just replayed through the whole thing. It looks like there's very little it needs in terms of level design or bug fixes. I must say, I hadn't played for several updates, and I was pleasantly surprised at how close to completion it is. Mostly it needs the story filled in and directions for the player to prevent needless running back and forth.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 16:21:17 »
Yaay!  Yeah,  there are some difficult areas and ideas to bring together in this level, and I've wanted to try to fix it for a while.  Unfortunately, my thoughts have been too close to, "well, if I change this area..."

Edit: didn't see ego's post before writing this...

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 00:21:17 »
I've read over the old discussions. I'm sticking with the ideas we set forth. I will alter a few things to improve the course of the game and story.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:13:36 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 04:29:50 »
I really like your plan.  I'm confused about the umbrella as well.  There is a hidden journal that is reachable only with the umbrella, which I made, and I guess I just assumed someone else would get the umbrella in.

And the guy that was in lab 3... I left his dialogue in the world.ini file if I remember right.  I'll look it up in the morning if I get a chance.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 05:55:40 »
Progress Report: I've patched up the level so it will work with my vision. I'm making the smallest edits I can. I've laid out a plan for manufacturing the huge number of cutscene images we'll need. I'm attaching a part of a scene for you to see the art direction I'm going with and voice your opinions. The background is a four times scale of a map screen, it's intentionally blurry to make the characters pop out. The characters are being drawn with vectors, so that once I draw an asset I can mix and match it with any other assets to create new poses, characters, and expressions.

Edit: Oh hey. I just made a sharp version of the same image. Not sure which is better.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:11:20 by egomassive »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 09:45:10 »
The sharp one is definitely better. The left one hurts my eyes.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 13:50:59 »
Hmm. I didn't consider eye strain. I know I hate blurry fonts, because I try to focus on something that can't be focused. Yeah, I'll go with the crisp image. I wanted to go all blurry because some bits start out blurry, like the chair legs. I thought the results would be more uniform that way, but being consistently bad isn't really a plus.

I've realized that I don't need to have the current version of the level to make the cutscenes. I'm going to finish up all the level design I want to do myself, then post it for someone else to take a turn. While they're building onto the map I can make the cutscenes. There are 3 areas to be built upon; a tourist reactor path, an expanded failed experiment storage, and a Lab 1 final area.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2012, 04:42:17 »
That's an interesting style. The character's border lines are too thin.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2012, 05:29:08 »
That's an interesting style. The character's border lines are too thin.

Alternatively, maybe she should be upscaled in her entirety slightly. Currently Juni looks about the size of her in-game counterpart (which is good for the height of the entrance), but her new look makes her seem a little too small for the furniture.

Oh, since I didn't mention it, I also prefer the sharper one. I briefly considered offering to paint over the backgrounds to remove pixelation, but considering the volume of cutscenes (and the fact that the pixelation doesn't actually look that bad) makes it hard to justify.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 12:50:05 »
The fact that the character is not pixelated keeps here separated from the background without need of blurring.  It's looking very good!  Trust ego to get this level backin order.  :D

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 17:28:57 »
Alternatively, maybe she should be upscaled in her entirety slightly. Currently Juni looks about the size of her in-game counterpart (which is good for the height of the entrance), but her new look makes her seem a little too small for the furniture.
Juni? This can't Juni, this is a housewife. I agree she's too small. She should be like 1.4 or 1.3 times bigger. Oh, and the sharp version is surely better.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 17:30:53 by GrayFace »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 17:37:13 »
It's obviously Juni.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 18:29:29 »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 19:22:19 »
For some reason I feel kinda weird when people make Juni too sexy :P

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2012, 01:06:08 »
... a little too small for the furniture. ...
... this is a housewife. ...
Ha ha. I agree she's a little thick for a girl as nimble as she is. I drew her off the original. You can see below how close she comes to her 1/4 size counterpart. I've never been happy with Knytt folk compared to chairs. Their legs are too short for chairs with human proportions, but if I make chairs to fit Knytt proportions the chairs look weird. I should add some length to her legs. This will look better with the furnishings, make her more pose-able, and raise the sexy factor for Raicuparta.  :P