(Slight change of topic:) Music editing help/advice

• 4 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
(Slight change of topic:) Music editing help/advice
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:52:14 »
I'm working on a short, arty level while procrastinating on my big project and hoping to use custom music for the first time. I don't really know where to look for such things though.

What I really need is a creepy track very much along the theme of the 'Classic Spooky' track from Nifflas' A Strange Dream. Something quiet and subtle and spooky. It wouldn't have to be more than two or three minutes long.

If anyone has suggestions for where to look for such a thing, or specific suggestions, or whatever, I would be very appreciative. :D

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:54:35 by Talps »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Re: Creepy music track help/advice
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 18:20:19 »
I'm not sure if there's anything suitable for you but freesound.org has loads of CC sounds. Mostly samples but you can enter min and max length in the advanced search options. Probably not right for you but it's all I know  :/

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 23:11:20 »
Since we have some musicians on this forum, perhaps someone is willing to create such sound for you?

For this to happen though, a bit more information would be handy, like stuff you really do not want.

For a "horror" soundtrack, you can either build on a scary atmoshpere, or create a musicscore using certain notes that represents scaryness. The last one, however is not scary, but helps identifying a scary environment without being that scary.

Scary themed music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ6w8cB44eo
Scary atmosphere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLOF4i5fpo
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 23:27:07 »
That would be awesome if someone offered.
The level is in no way horror-themed any more than my grand example, A Strange Dream is. :p So I don't want anything so distinctly of the horror-genre as your examples. I'd like something more atmospheric, in the background, just to add a bit of atmosphere. Creepy but not frightening.

I hate sounding like I've only got one idea in my head, but the 'Classic Spooky' theme from A Strange Dream (music 10) is the best example of the kind of thing I'd like. Something creepy, subtle, not overpowering the ambiance or in-your-face. Ambient sound is a bigger feature in the level, so I want the music to add to the ambience (like the theme from A Strange Dream!) The area of the level has no music and only layers of ambience until you get the Eye, and I want the music when it comes to add another layer of sound; not overpower the sound of water and cave-iness that's already going on.

Sorry if I'm not explaining this well.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 23:38:24 by Talps »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 15:00:23 »
Change of topic:
I've found a piece that more or less fits what i was after. However, it's over 5 minutes long and since it fits into a part of the level that shouldn't take half that (even with a LOCP player, hopefully) and for the sake of the downloading nation I don't really want to fill my level with 7MB tracks where 4MBs would do.

I also have another piece of music that is a free-to-download sample of a track from a CD. The original song is about 10 minutes but this edited, freely distributable version is a quite suitable 5 minutes; however, it stops very abruptly where they cut the track in half.

So (showing my newbiness when it comes to anything musical on technology - ow, my pride!) is there a default program with Windows Seven that allows a person to cut down a track and/or fade it out at the end? Or a free internet service? Or could one of you beautiful and lovely people do it for me if I sent you the tracks?