Full screen test help!

• 16 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Full screen test help!
« on: January 19, 2011, 23:37:11 »
Before I update the game to 1.0.1, I need more help!

If you have problems with making the game go full screen, please test this, this and this version. Please let me know which versions that can go full screen and which can not (and if the aspect ratio gets messed up with any of the versions).

The more results I get, the better I can pick which aspect ratio threshold I should use.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Full screen test help!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 00:11:39 »
Do you also want tests by people where everything works as expected in the real versions? I never have had any problems with full screen, but I do have a state-of-the-art video card.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 00:45:33 »
That's not too important really. There are more parameters than I can take into account, so just basing my choice of what works for most people is probably a good idea.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 00:52:25 »
I tested the three:
Tolerance16 produces the exact same result as the normal version.
Tolerance25 and DontKeepRatio both create a black border too, but the actual playing area is larger, especially in DontKeepRatio. None works as actual fullscreen, though and both mess up the aspect ratio.

I'm wondering, however, if this is worth trying to fix, since the C++ build is coming up and that version may as well replace the MMF2 one.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 00:56:48 by PONTO »

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:53:07 »
DontKeepRatio - gives me a "widescreen" version (black bars at top and bottom of screen but not at left and right) with the game stretched horizontally a little bit (the ball is oval instead of spherical.)
Tolerance16 - same as regular version of game.
Tolerance 25 - same as regular version but bigger (black bars around all sides, but not as bad) and the game might be a tiny bit stretched horizontally (not sure, but the ball looks slightly oval) but if so, not as bad as in DontKeepRatio.

None of them go completely full screen.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 09:27:11 »
Same results as PONTO and back seat astronaut. In the normal and Tolerance16 versions, fullscreen has quite a bit of black borders, although the view is still significantly larger than Maximized. Both DontKeepRatio and Tolerance25 stretch a bit more horizontally, but still leave some borders; this is exactly how Knytt Stories fullscreen works for me.

I'm playing on a 16:10 laptop screen (1280x800) with an NVidia GeForce Go 7300. Windows Vista.

Personally I don't care about fullscreen, but I guess it could be helpful to have a working version right away instead of waiting for the C++ version of the game (which could take who knows how long to make).
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Matll

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 14:17:18 »
1920x1080 (16:9)

Don't keep ratio
Tolerance16
Tolerance25

Tolerance25 is the best one but still far from perfect.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 14:45:11 »
100% full screen is probably hard since there's rarely a resolution that matches perfectly. If I'd have created it today, I'd have went for a higher and better resolution. Anyway, what I'm mainly after is the version that result in the largest full screen mode that still does not stretch the image in any direction.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 16:23:13 »
All four crash on startup if I'm using fullscreen.  That's because of Wine though, so you can ignore this.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 01:54:25 »
The think about DontKeepRatio is that if it only has black borders at top and bottom of screen (which is how it is for me) and yet the game is stretched horizontally, that means the game could still fill more of the screen vertically.  No, it wouldn't be true full screen without screwing up the ratio, but it would be better than any of the current versions.

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 10:20:35 »
1920x1080 (16:9)

-- Don't keep ratio Forced res: 640x480
-- Tolerance16 Forced res: 1280x800
-- Tolerance25 Forced res: 1280x800

I might be a bit slow on the pick-up here, but it looks like MMF2 can't do any kind of game screen stretching whatsoever, right? Just changes the display resolution to tiny enough. Now the fullscreening problems make sense X)

It wouldn't be possible to make an optional Fullscreenres-option for the .ini files where you could change it manually to see which resolutions would work and to pick one that does it best for you? With big heavy warning labels, of course :D
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 18:07:20 »
Acer Aspire One 1024x600

-- Normal version: Almost full screen, looks good.
-- Don't keep ratio Forced res: Similar to the normal version.
-- Tolerance16 Forced res: Similar to the normal version.
-- Tolerance25 Forced res: Similar to the normal version.

...Actually, in my netbook, all versions look almost the same :) .

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 19:28:24 »
Acer Aspire One + external monitor: 1600x900
-- Normal: like windowed with black boders
-- new versions : all almost full screen +-50px around

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 20:11:31 »
1280x1024 monitor: all look the same as original, look good.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 04:53:04 »
Resolution of monitor 1680x1050, Dell on Windows.

Don't Keep Ratio and Tolerance 25 seem identical, "widescreen", smaller black borders on left and right sides.

Tolerance 16 has the same problem as the current one; tiny screen isolated in big black space

(so same as back seat astronaut, PONTO and AA)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:55:23 by filmgrain »