Screen dimensions X Y

• 9 Replies
Screen dimensions X Y
« on: January 13, 2011, 17:29:11 »
It is a rather simple question. Can we change the screen dimensions in ANY WAY?
The dimensions right now are 10 height and 25 width of squares.

I was just thinking about making more upward going levels than wide - like the flower level. Yes, I know the map made with it would not be compatible with anything. But is is possible at all?

>Thank you!

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: Screen dimensions X Y
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 17:47:03 »
It's not possible to do that in Knytt Stories. Making a mod of the game probably would, but I suppose it'd be hard to support arbitrary screen size for many reasons.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 19:31:57 »
You cannot make the game window larger, but you can make it smaller.

You can do this by adding black tiles on the edges, and use shifts to mark their exits.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 21:51:34 »
Weeell
I was looking for a MOD actually. A mod that changes screen dimensions forever to, say, 24 by 24 or something.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 23:08:44 »
No such mod exists yet, but if you have MMF2 (and some required extensions, I believe) you could try making one yourself. You could also try asking the authors of the existing mods to add this feature; the mods are:KSA, ACO and KS Ex.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 10:25:22 »
It would be terribly difficult to increase the screen size. 10 x 25 = 255 and it's not arbitrary. Nifflas used a binary array system to store map data in. The whole map rendering section of the program would need to be remade. I was looking into adding more layers to the game, but when I saw how beautiful this section of the program was I couldn't bring myself to alter it.

That said, 10 tiles wide and 25 tiles vertically wouldn't be too difficult. You'd need a matching editor too though.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 14:01:36 »
It would be terribly difficult to increase the screen size. 10 x 25 = 255 and it's not arbitrary. Nifflas used a binary array system to store map data in. The whole map rendering section of the program would need to be remade.

Are you sure about it? Given that the Map.bin file also store the size of each room in 32 bits, despite the fact that all rooms have to have that exact size, the structure of the level would allow even differently-sized rooms in the same level (naturally that'd lead to other problems, but it wouldn't be hard to do). If there are optimizations in the game to render the screens more quickly, couldn't they be removed?

If I had MMF2 I'd look onto this stuff myself.

That said, 10 tiles wide and 25 tiles vertically wouldn't be too difficult. You'd need a matching editor too though.

Yeah, it'd probably be trivial to make such a mod; one might simply add a configuration parameter somewhere that tells you how to read the level and you'd be able to play both the normal levels and the vertical ones with little effort. The hardest part would be to rearrange the panels in the editor.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:56:12 »
I really like Knytt Experiment screens. The main area screens are very large. It will be awesome if this was put into one of the KS mods! C)p

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 19:49:44 »
Terribly hard is a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm not exaggerating when I say the rendering section would need to be rewritten. The 2 tilesets have 128 spaces apiece making 256 tiles total, including the two null tiles. Each layer has 255 locations. The objects require 2 characters, 256 banks with 255 possible objects in each. Nifflas designed his map files to make use of every single bit. Changing the screen size means rewriting the algorithms. I guess the hardest part of that would be bringing oneself to ruin the original work, it's like programing poetry. Maybe it's just me. :)

If I still had MMF2 I'd find you the algorithms, but I only had the demo.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 20:41:56 »
Or it could be done by scrolling. Making it so that you are always in the center, and the screen scrolls to the left/right/up/down if there's an adjacent screen would allow you to get the impression the screen is much bigger. Knytt Experiment looks so big because the screen scrolls. The window itself is not that much bigger than Knytt Stories.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex