Couldn't find another topic...

• 6 Replies

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Couldn't find another topic...
« on: January 13, 2011, 02:07:06 »
...For appreciation.
It was greatly anticipated, and I will admit my first impression was a slight disappointment due to the size.
However, it quickly became apparent that I'd reconsider those feelings..
And this is definitely among my favorite games :D
Almost every level had an area where I'd just stop and look at the screen, listen to the music and enjoy the view..
Very ambient, very beautiful.
Great job (again), Nifflas!
:)
Feel free to share your comments here.

Re: Couldn't find another topic...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 04:13:53 »
I really think the music goes perfectly with the graphics of the game. There are very few games nowadays that specialize in this style. I also like the gameplay differences, like the pinball gimmick and the "cars". However, I've only tried the demo because I am going to buy the wiiware version. Looking foward to enjoying the graphics and sound on my tv. :)

Offline Feryl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:19:46 »
NightSky was a very solid game, and managed to live up to the hype. The physics, gameplay, atmosphere, and music were all worthy of note. It's the finest creation I've ever seen from Nifflas... good luck with future projects!

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 05:52:58 »
I love the physical puzzles.  One thing that frustrated me about Saira was that, as much as I loved the atmosphere and graphics, the puzzles usually had nothing to do with the level itself (i.e. you come to a computer terminal and solve some maze) and the difficulty of those puzzles, while being unrelated to the levels themselves, is the one major reason I haven't replayed Saira.  In NightSky, on the contrary, the puzzles have to do with navigating the screens themselves.  Hooray for physics puzzles!

I also really like the music.  It's more electronic-ambient than I was expecting, as I downloaded a Chris Schlarb album a while back and it sounded more acoustic.  Also, one of the tracks early in the game REALLY reminds me of the Dragon Noir music in Saira.  Like, to the point that I almost think it's the same music (though, as I said above, I only played Saira once, so I can't be too sure.)  It seems to me that Chris Schlarb (if he actually did all the music for this game, which is my understanding) really studied the music in previous Nifflas games and was heavily influenced by it on this soundtrack.  And I think that's a good thing.

Offline Aptequar

• Energy is Eternal Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 04:43:47 »
I absolutely agree with all the above, this is simply a wonderful game. Now I plan to punish myself by completing it on Alternative.
Troi'r wythnos yn flwyddyn, troi'r flwyddyn yn dair.
love, light and hope The People We Never Met
and it's equilibrium The Elevator Beneath The Valve

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:36:22 »
Here are my impressions.

I first played through the game on Alternative.  I tried the first few levels of Normal after that, and was glad that I hadn't done it first.
The environments were appealing, particularly Old Ruins and Perpetuum Machine.  I think that some of the backgrounds were too colorful, however, and broke the mood.  Same with the stars in [whatever the area with the stars is called].
The game did not seem short.  I was expecting it to be much shorter than it was, in fact, given the length of Nifflas' past games.
I would have liked to see more and harder puzzles.  While the "action" challenges were quite enjoyable, to me the puzzles were much more so, but they were infrequent and very easy.

Spoiler: story (click to show/hide)

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 04:53:09 »
just finished the game on normal (going to play through "alternative" next), and i have to say this game is simply amazing. for how long we ended up having to wait for it to be released, i think it easily lived up to my expectations. beautiful, beautiful game with very clever and fun levels. i really think this could be nifflas' break-out game. i hope so anyway. roll on the wii version! (sorry X))