Norton Virus blocks running the game

• 2 Replies

Offline pip

• View Profile
Norton Virus blocks running the game
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:44:50 »
I replayed the demo today and figured out what the problem I had yesterday is.
I ran the game from the installer fine using the option to launch the game in that. But when trying to run the game from the desktop icon or the actual game application etc norton blocks it and says the following file .....

File: c:\users\appdata\local\temp\mrt83a0.tmp\stdrt.exe

.... was attacking my pc and norton automatically removes it. I can't figure any way to stop it doing this at all.
I have alsorts of games on my PC but I've not had this problem before, any idea's ?

Edit : Ok,lol I figured out a temp fix just now .. its norton sonar thats complaining about this file, so I temporarily disabled sonar, launched the game and it worked. Then set sonar running again. Like I mentioned before, I havn't had this happen before is there a way to fix it permanently ?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:47:23 by pip »
It's been a while... maybe I should try making a KS level and tileset .... Hmmm

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: Norton Virus blocks running the game
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 14:04:30 »
It really depends on whether Norton allows you to ignore the stdrt.exe file or not. That's a file created by MMF2 games when you run them; in fact, similar problems seem to occur with Knytt Stories (see here and here).
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Norton Virus blocks running the game
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 14:37:11 »
You might want to consider switching to a different program.

I started to use Microsoft's Security Essentials recently, and I really like it so far. It does require a legal installation of windows though. But its very lightweight and its updates come with windows update. Best of all, it doesn't report this game to be a virus. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex