prices in different regions

• 12 Replies
prices in different regions
« on: January 08, 2011, 00:14:43 »
It's quite odd that the price for this varies depending on where in the world you tell fastspring you are (and since it isn't geo-locked it appears you can just lie about where you are to get the lowest price).

For example, while the game costs $7.20 in the USA it is £7.20 in the UK which is around $11.20. In euros it is 7.20, around $9.30.

Is this intentional? I'm kind of surprised this hasn't come up already considering nifflas is European.

Re: prices in different regions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 01:48:52 »
I'm in Canada and just assumed that the $7.20 price (as opposed to some round number like $7.00) had to do with exchange rates.  That's weird that it's 7.20 everywhere regardless of currency.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 01:55:12 »
I have no idea why to be honest. I'm not going to look into it though, as I'm just really there's someon else to take care of all that time consuming business and marketing stuff (I wish I could have that for every game).

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 14:49:48 »
Isn't there additional tax being added to the price when you do the purchase?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 15:14:16 »
Yes, there is, depending on country. However, the price doesn't really add up for the different currencies. I don't really see it as a major problem though.

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 18:28:46 »
I'm in Canada and just assumed that the $7.20 price (as opposed to some round number like $7.00) had to do with exchange rates.  That's weird that it's 7.20 everywhere regardless of currency.
The normal price is a round $10.00, but is 28% off 'cause of Niff's 28th birthday for the weekend, therefore $7.20. ;)
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 18:35:00 »
Yes :D Besides, I like to think the game is worth 7.2 in any currency :D

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 20:55:14 »
The game is definitely worth 7.2 Yen.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 21:01:09 »
Haha, or 7.2 Kuwait Dinars

Offline Ax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 10:14:27 »
I purchased it for 7.2 rupees somehow...they transferred right out of my Link to the Past game save.  I'm amazed that your reach extends all the way to Hyrule, but I was even more amazed when Link whipped out a laptop and started playing the game himself.  I tried to get him to go off and fight the forces of evil, but he just gave me the finger and went off to fight the forces of angular momentum...

Offline mcbpete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 13:00:16 »
I was going to post a topic about the same thing. Although as you guys say it's definitely worth 7.20 in any currency when I bought it yesterday I actually ended up paying £8.64 (£7.20 + £1.44 in tax) which is $13.40 usd

I personally don't mind as Nifflas' games have provided me with countless hours of entertainment, and have provided me the same excitement and awe as I used to feel when playing games as a child. But I can imagine some peoples might kick up a bit of a fuss about it.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 17:36:48 »
I'm not exactly sure how this works, but fastspring is an American payment solution, and there's a difference between domestic and international sales, perhaps it even varies per country. Simply put, we give fastspring the amount we want to receive from a purchase, and then depending on which country you live in, an additional tax may or may not be added. I have no idea how this really works, it's really confusing and I don't deal with this stuff even when I sell games on my own (the company Kreator helps me out by doing the administration), but prices does not include a possible VAT.

We list the price before any added taxes, as this is the price you will pay in many countries. Fastspring will let you know what the final price is before you place the order anyway. Also, we can not customize this, it's how Fastspring work.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 17:39:42 by Nifflas »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 17:47:35 »
It is very clear at every stage of the purchase, and there's plenty of opportunity to review the total price before finalising the order. I'd actually put aside £25 to cover the cost of the game on the 6th so I was really pleasantly surprised at the price, whether it's the same price other people are paying or not.

I hope it's selling well, 'cause it's a great game and really deserves to fly off the figurative shelves  :)