[Playground, Misc] You Know

• 5 Replies

Offline delii

• View Profile
[Playground, Misc] You Know
« on: December 25, 2010, 00:24:05 »
This level is my first knytt level. A while back on my now perished computer I had another level that I made, but it got lost when I chucked my computer in the trash. This level is not finished, not near finished, and when I finish it is very much unknown to me. Some days I spend hours on it, some times its days before I even think about it.

So. Storyline? Um, you're a knytt who is exploring the world. So creative, I know.

The environment changes frequently with little warning, so if you don't like that then this level is not for you. It is going to be big. Right now it's probably a good sized medium, but it's going to be large. There are MANY secrets, secret rooms, secret areas, secret worlds. If you go straight through it without looking you will miss about 80% of the level and will not be able to win. So.
There are some challenges, nothing above hard, and most of them aren't even that. It's not meant to be a challenge level.  
Also there a lot of different areas in this world, different lands too. Some are crucial to winning and some aren't. I haven't decided for sure if I'm making multiple endings, but I think I'm going to, maybe.
I'm hoping this will be a level where you can play many times and still find new areas/places/things.  

I love it to death and it's so much fun. But please, I welcome any and all criticism and I need some beta testers because I'm sure to miss something if I look over it by myself.  

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I did not make ANY of the tilesets or backgrounds.
When I release this level I will credit all the creators.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 00:31:04 by delii »
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline oskop

• View Profile
Re: [Playground, Misc] You Know
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 03:02:31 »
Those last two screenshots are very, very nice; very simple and to the point and good-looking. Count me in as looking forward to this!

Offline delii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 06:03:19 »
Aw yay thank you!
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 15:07:57 »
Really nice to see an old-style exploration level in development, with many different areas and secrets. Good luck with this project! Large levels are tricky to make given how much time has to be spent...

I like the first and the third screens best; the first is particularly intriguing - synthetic and natural at the same time. I'm a bit uncomfortable with the last screen because of those square shapes in the background that don't look like... well, anything, really.

Offline delii

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 17:44:31 »
Thank you! Yeah it's difficult, but it's a lot of fun so it's worth it!

And yeah the last screen is a little ehh, it's not supposed to be really realistic or anything, the squares are just deco for the background. But I get what you mean, that little area is only about 4 screens long though so there's not a lot that's like that.
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:48:03 »
I agree with yohji in looking forward to a playground style... although i don't know if you would have those enemies if it is a playground.  Exploration at the least though.  :)

The screenies all feel very experimental, like you're pushing the old tilesets into new forms.  This can be very good, but it can also make the whole level feel artificial.  But that may work out fine too, depending on your story. 

Good luck!  Looking good so far.