[Small][Easy][Enviromental/Challenge] Illusion

• 4 Replies

Offline Azun

• Lol hydro pump
    • View Profile
[Small][Easy][Enviromental/Challenge] Illusion
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:14:18 »
This is my 1st KS level. :)

It's not very good, and doesn't make good use of the "Illusionary", and doesn't have warps - but isn't that what you expect from the 1st level someone's made?

Plot: There is a hidden rumor of a place called the Secret Gardens, one of the most vast and beautiful places in Knyttworld (OK, maybe not exactly). However, it is guarded by enemies and all sorts of illusions. One day, Juni accidentally finds a way to the Gardens in her little homeland of Rainy Hill. So Juni sets off to the Secret Gardens! :D

This is the 1st of a 3-part trilogy. I promise to try and make the next 2 better. <3

Also, I'm no good at traps and such - etc. so the danger is not that dangerous. Also, I was feeling lazy and rushed nearer to the end, so, unfortunately. You know.

Download link: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Silver%20-%20Illusion.knytt.bin
Pokemon addict. ^^

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Small][Easy][Enviromental/Challenge] Illusion
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 14:49:59 »
Congratulations on your first level. I got to the Forever's Plain, but there are way too many glitches before that. SGE's (the bottom of the waterfall in x1000y1002), wallswims (on x1001y998 if you fall down through the first invisible block, you end up wallswimming in the "invisible" block, which leaves you trapped since you can't climb), monsters wallswimming (go to x999y1005, wait a bit, and the right monster enters the wall at some point).

There are also various bad design decisions. For instance, most dangerous places in the level are easily avoided by using the hologram. At x1006y999 there's a somewhat difficult/uncomfortable jump; if you don't make it, the nearest savepoint is very far away. Not only that, but even if you make it, the logical thing is to jump into the air stream, and that kills you; so in any case the player is forced to go through several challenges at least twice. This part, and some others really seemed like you tried to make some really dangerous places to compensate for the ones that were not so dangerous; as a result you have inconsistent difficulty that puts players off. Visually, too, there's a lack of consistency: the screen I just talked about is very simplistic, while the first screens are much more detailed, have various critters, and so on.

Overall, this looks like a typical first level; you should test your levels more thoroughly and aim for more consistency both in visual design and in gameplay. On the plus side, I was really astonished when
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
So keep it up :)

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 02:09:57 »
Indeed, for a first level, this is definitely a great start. Unfortunately, as yohji has stated, it could have done well with more playtesting. In addition to the myriad of wallswims and voids, you can also get stuck in the room with the detector by using the save in that area and then dying before getting the red key. You are completely stuck and have to restart the level. However, even then, it's still a lot better than many first levels that I've played.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 03:51:39 »
For a first level, the graphics are teh pwnage. The gameplay is teh mediocre.

Also, the invisible blocks and kill stuff were annnoying.
Lurk more.

Offline Azun

• Lol hydro pump
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 05:40:35 »
Sorry I couldn't get on here before, I had some issues with life, as you may expect, and Xmas is a busy time for me.

Thank you for your feedback and I am currently devising a remake, Illusion V2. The story has been changed drastically and V2 is more focused on exploration, like The Machine, just smaller. I have done the sequel to Illusion, but it's pretty terrible, so I'm not going to post it... anyway, I hope you all enjoy Illusion V2 if it comes out - possibly later this month or so, can't be quite sure X)
Pokemon addict. ^^