My first tileset

• 8 Replies

Offline oskop

• View Profile
My first tileset
« on: December 22, 2010, 04:15:00 »
So, I've been slowly putting together my first knytt level. It's solely public, preset tilesets, but I've been thinking about trying to make my own. So I did this in a few hours today as an experiment; it's part of another level idea, but I don't think I'll be getting to it that soon, so here it is. It was mostly a technical/skill experiment (building blocks, figuring transparency out -- and something like my fourth attempt at [very basic] pixel art...). I'd like to know what people think regardless. :)

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Re: My first tileset
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 13:29:06 »
I quite like that colour-scheme with the grey plants. I can really picture a level in it.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 23:35:28 »
The grass and plants look very good.  As for the ground tiles, well, there's not much to say about them since they're just solid blocks of one color.

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 17:27:46 »
How could I add texture to the blocks? I've tried dotting them, and I've tried creating patterns near the edges, but it looks very amateurish (well: it looks even more amateurish, I mean). Thanks for the positive comments guys!

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 20:58:25 »
The method used in many Knytt and Knytt Stories tilesets is to apply a looping pattern to the entire set of ground/wall/background tiles.  http://cowmuffins.net/stuff/tilesets/ has some examples (the numbered tilesets are the oldest ones, and kind of crappy).  Less is often more here - try to make the patterns interesting and unique but simple and small.  In particular, fewer colors is nearly always better for this style.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 21:00:19 by minmay »

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 00:40:07 »
Thanks for the examples, minmay. I'm strill having a hard time working out good-looking pattern but it always helps to look at stuff more carefully, and I'm trying to do that with the tilesets I'm coming across.

Zydragazum

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:45:07 »
For your first tileset, this is quite an impressive piece of work, despite the simplicity of the ground tiles. As others have stated, the flora are very well-done and are quite in line with the conventional Knytt theme.

I made a sample screen with it and I must say that it's very versatile with backgrounds. I've scrolled through the backgrounds and found a lot of compatibility:

There are, however, a few issues. There are several tiles that "overlap", so to speak, and that's why you do not see all of the tileset in the sample screen. Furthermore, the way you've organized your tileset allows you to maximize number of tiles, but may inconvenience many designers. I've highlighted overlapping tiles in red, and have reorganized the tiles in a more comfortable manner:

As you can see, you lose eight tiles from this. The Juni lying face-flat on the ground is a great idea, but I think it might be better suited as a custom object? As for the other floating blocks - those are actually a strong element of this tileset, because they match the colour of the grass. Also notice that on one of the purple blocks, there is a single white pixel. Just a little thing to tidy up.

My advice would be to use 2-3 colours of a specific hue range. I find that the cyan range seems to work best, but I guess others could find a way to use the other colours. Anyways, this would allow you to free up 24-48 tiles, which would not only allow you to put in the grey blocks but would open up other possibilities.

Finally, the little tileset bar at the bottom is brilliant, with the palette and all. Can I steal that idea for my own tilesets? :D You also forgot to finish the 'M', so it says Tileset Experinent.

I hope this advice/criticism is useful, but I see lots of potential in you, sir.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:47:54 by Zydragazum »

Offline Paranoid

• I'm a nuclear powered robot.. FROM THE FUTURE! :3
    • View Profile
    • My Favorite Song.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 20:34:42 »
Looks awesome! Like Zydra said, it's very versatile, almost universal, and I can already see tons of levels featuring this tileset! You've got lots of potential, keep working on this one and be sure to crank out alot more.  C)p
Whrrrrr ....

My Knytt Levels:
Eos [WIP]
VR [Remake IP, WIP]
The Lobby [KSO-Specific, WIP]

First one to use AClockworkLemon's FiNCK Forum Theme (Which looks ah-some!)

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 04:56:34 »
I can't believe I never replied to this topic again! You guys might no longer be around to see this but thank you so much for the positive feedback, I did need that little push at the time and have tried again since. And Zydragazum thank you in particular for some v. precise practical advice that makes a lot of sense!