Object contribution!

• 46 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Object contribution!
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:02:26 »
Edit: Thank you for your contributions! I still got to spend some time before I add the last material into the game! Then I'll check who contributed how much, and send Knytt T-Shirts to those of you contributed a lot!

Your help means a lot to me, the game wouldn't have been the same without it. Actually, now that I write that, I realize it would probably have been quite different. It would either have taken a lot longer to create or it would contain less graphical variation between the areas.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 21:09:18 by Nifflas »

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
Re: Photo contribution!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:09:58 »
Four questions!

How long are you accepting the photo materials?

How do we get them to you? Via this thread or otherwise via PM?

Generally speaking, you want objects, and not patterns and the like, right?

Further, is there a limit as to how big/small the material should be?

I may contribute, but I want to be more sure about what you want. :P

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 01:14:49 »
I'm accepting it for at least four months from now, probably much longer. I haven't thought about how I'll accept the material yet, perhaps I'll get an upload script up on ni2.se soon that also requires the contributors to accept an agreement. I just need to make sure it's done right from a legal point of view. There's no image size limit. If the image is too large I'll just downsample it, so it's better if the images are too large than if they're too small. I'm after objects, not patterns right now. The main important thing is that they blend nicely to the background, and that the edges are anti-aliased (hence the need for an alpha channel).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:44:23 by Nifflas »

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 01:19:43 »
Okay, many thanks! I'm sure there will be a lot of great contributions! Now I'll have to see if I can find something useful in my many photos...

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:23:52 »
Cool!

Offline chipset

• View Profile
Re: Object contribution!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:48:22 »
Sounds interesting. I'll see if I can contribute any objects (if I find anything good in my photos). I feel that it will be great to have the community contribute to this game. :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:50:27 by chipset »
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 07:06:44 »
Great idea!
I wish that everybody will want to contribute here!

And I want to participate too, this is a great occasion to show my taking-photos skills!
(I am sooooo looking forward, I'll start photographing my room flowers when I come home from school!  :shifty: XD )
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 01:54:05 »
I have a question about submitting photographic objects:  Do you want us to cut out the objects from the surrounding photo and submit them ready-to-use, like the examples you posted, or would you rather we submit whole photographs and let you cut the objects out?  The only reason I ask is that you seem to be better at cutting them out than I am, so I thought maybe you would prefer to do that part yourself rather than have people submit things with sloppy-looking edges.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:28:33 »
Well, if you want to do the cutting part it'd make it easier for me. The tricky thing about sending me the original photos is that I already have this whole bunch of my own photos I need to remove the background from.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 10:41:49 »
Well, if you want to do the cutting part it'd make it easier for me. The tricky thing about sending me the original photos is that I already have this whole bunch of my own photos I need to remove the background from.

Maybe it is a good idea to upload these photos unmodified, and ask for assistance in making them transparant. :) It would save you a great deal of time and its also a form of helping for those who are less photography skilled.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 12:20:43 »

Maybe it is a good idea to upload these photos unmodified, and ask for assistance in making them transparent. :) It would save you a great deal of time and its also a form of helping for those who are less photography skilled.
I kind of agree; but more like people who have maybe good cams and ideas, but not awesome photoshop/other editing skills could do that. Then Niff could concentrate on his own photos perhaps (in case he knows best what kind of outcome he wants), and people who feel up to the task of doing it for other members could do it for them. So perhaps an "objects to be unbackgrounded"-thread could be neat where everyone could attach their pics...

As soon as uni holidays start, I love doing anything but learning for exams, so that'd be something somewhat fun. I'm not saying I'm uber at object-outcuttery, but decent enough I suppose. X)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 06:37:14 »
I don't mind removing the background of the objects I plan to submit, I just thought maybe Nifflas would actually prefer doing it himself in order to make sure it's done well.  I think maybe what I'll do is remove the backgrounds as carefully as I can but also include the original photo in the zip file in case Nifflas likes the objects but wants to redo the background removal.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 01:30:48 »
Following both your (Nifflas) and LPchip's idea, what if you incorporated the submit form into .ni2.se, and also created a sort of showcase/quality control in which users who are experienced enough make them transparent and submit them in a new area?
I think a quality control service could work for tilesets, too :)

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 05:48:15 »
I think I can help with this. :) I've made a few isolated objects in the past and they still sell pretty good in stock marketplaces. It'll be fun to come up with something unique for this game. ^_^

I don't know about QC; I'd imagine that the simpler the entire process, the better. But I like the idea of helping others out with isolating objects from their pics.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 23:35:47 »
I think I can help with this. :) I've made a few isolated objects in the past and they still sell pretty good in stock marketplaces. It'll be fun to come up with something unique for this game. ^_^

I don't know about QC; I'd imagine that the simpler the entire process, the better. But I like the idea of helping others out with isolating objects from their pics.
That's what I meant by QC :P