What level type do you prefer/want to see?

• 14 Replies

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
What level type do you prefer/want to see?
« on: December 11, 2010, 00:32:27 »
Of the levels types, it'd be interesting to know what people prefer to play.

The major groups include Environmental, Challenge, and Misc, but let's not forget Puzzle, Maze, Trick Jump (not an official category), and Playground, too.
Please mention your favorites, and if possible, why you like them, or why they appeal to you.
This is more of a general opinion gathering, so you don't need to base it on anyone's specific levels. Imagine that you've played a perfect level of each type you wish to discuss; which would you prefer?

I'll start:

I seem to prefer challenges (short of lunatic). They cover a wide variety of genres and often have exciting and interesting play mechanics. Unlike a few other level types, challenges can be made from any environment and can be very realistic, bland, pretty, boring, etc. depending on the wish of the level maker. I especially like challenges that are not just jumping and avoiding things. Challenges seem the most interesting to me when they have a lot of elements from the other styles too.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: What level type do you prefer/want to see?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:59:08 »
I'm mostly interested in good stories/plots. These probably fit the challenge genera best, but all categories have the potential.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:23:34 »
I suppose I'm similar to egomassive. I like good stories, good concepts, levels that are visually interesting or designed in an interesting way... I don't mind if the level is environmental, challenge or whatever.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:38:31 »
I'm more into puzzle but I Like a good trick jump level. I suppose this sums up to challenges that are not luck/time based. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 15:48:53 »
I like levels that let you explore, even if they aren't purely environmental. And I like narrative stuff. Not "here's a huge block of text that explains why you're playing before you do", but actually story-informed gameplay, and I think Knytt Stories - gameplay-wise, visually - lends itself well to that: to exploring and to bare (and visual) storytelling. I particularly appreciate games that acknowledge cutscenes as a way to quietly provide emphasis (I know we're not supposed to dwell on specific examples, but I'm thinking about stuff like desgeegas(?) level with the single shot of flowers; simple stuff).

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 17:54:50 »
I don't think I have a favorite level type. I used to dislike difficult challenge levels, but Farik's Ascension changed that. I'm not really a fan of puzzle levels, but Dukit's series works beautifully for me. I guess I'm most interested in a strong mood/atmospheric content; if that's there, I don't really care what type of level it is.

Besides, I can always cheat my way through a Lunatic one C)p

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 19:52:18 »
I know we're not supposed to dwell on specific examples

Actually, specific examples are great, as they provide more specific detail about what you like to see in a level. I wouldn't want you to rattle on about a specific level, just because it would give an impression that all levels would need to be like that one in order to interest you. But the way you said it was great- it was a very informative detail, while not singling out levels that don't do that.

I'm hoping that with a good combination of both general and slightly more specific examples of what people like, this will be a useful resource for level makers. I wouldn't, however, suggest making a level based on what people like alone, though. It's best for people to make what they like, not the general public. But perhaps level makers will look through the topic and say 'hey, I liked that too'. :)

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 12:54:15 »
Favorite is Challenge, Very Hard. Hard is also good for more relaxing gameplay, other difficulties are fine too. Lunatic is good, but that's a whole different kind of levels. They are long time affairs which are played segment by segment with breaks and only when I feel like. More usually I'm in the mood for story and exploration, so I play regular levels, but when I'm in the mood for pure challenge I play Lunatic levels.
Atmosphere, story and exploration are appreciated in levels.
The least favorite is Environmental, it's boring for me. Even simple challenges and otherwise more variety in screens would make a difference for me. For instance, I didn't like "A walk at night".
I also don't like it when a level is Playground, something with an ending feels better.
My favorite maze/puzzle levels are Dukit's "Reason" and Introversity's "Rolly Scrolly". I would also name Gorfinhofin's "Flipping Out" among these favorites, although it's labeled "Misc/Environmental".
It's cool when challenge comes together with work for mind, like in the game to which you get through trash bin in KG's "Too much Soda", like in egomassive's "A Knytt in time" and in various proportions in many other levels.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:57:21 by GrayFace »

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 15:10:28 »
Puzzles, though they need to actually be puzzles rather than just trial and error - so An Underwater Adventure fits that criteria, but The Explore Challenge does not.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 17:43:43 »
I love levels with a great story, like 'Paradise Last' (which is one of my favourites, despite being rather unfinished and as a result, impossible and far too difficult in some places). I'd also go for challenge, though I like good environmentals. Generally if there's something there just to keep you wanting to explore, to discover more, whether it be environments or stories, then I like it. Though a good (non-frustrating) challenge generally helps keep me interested.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:37:14 »
Pure environmental levels are my favorite. To me, a single screen that perfectly conveys a particular mood is worth more than the most elaborate challenge levels. When some so-called environmentals include challenges, I just use the handy cheat to bypass the difficulties and just enjoy the atmosphere. :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:39:07 by SiamJai »

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 21:01:46 »
I like challenge levels to a certain extent (Not that good at Secret Glitch's Safety Levels). I don't really like it when the level just has "Level Start" and "You Win" as an intro and ending though. I don't care much about the environment of the level but Decent environment in a level wouldn't hurt anyone.

Offline NESgamer190

• X-com's nightmare: Chryssalid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 15:39:14 »
If there is one thing I have NOT seen in a great while, it's a full-fledged maze level.  As much as I'd love to do so, I just can't think of a good tileset or two to brew up for such a challenge.  (So I can't get a good theme for a maze)
Unretired.
http://nesgamer7190.deviantart.com/ (My DeviantArt Account.  Behold my not too good artistics.)
  (Mafia 9 pie maniac)

I really have nothing going for me for creative signatures.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 16:40:44 »
If there is one thing I have NOT seen in a great while, it's a full-fledged maze level.  As much as I'd love to do so, I just can't think of a good tileset or two to brew up for such a challenge.  (So I can't get a good theme for a maze)

Have you played Evangelos' Dungeon?
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=1885.0
Now that I found the topic, it's more than a year old, but that's the best maze level I've ever encountered. So I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention it :)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 13:15:57 »
Ah, simi-old topic I missed.

I am totally in it for a rich environmental level with either a hinted at story (similar to Oskop) or a full fledged story, though I prefer the former.  I'm ok with up to a Nifflas-like level of normal difficulty, but beyond that I will be playing the level from the editor, something I'd rather not have to do.