Winter Tileset in Progress..

• 2 Replies

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Winter Tileset in Progress..
« on: December 07, 2010, 07:34:14 »
I am starting my first tileset, made to compliment the Rough Sea Landscape tileset.
(the mountains, that is..)
I've prepared a small preview, but it is very blank.
I was planning on some background trees (I already have two)..
I have one other tree made (after I saved the preview, though :P2 )
Are there any thoughts or anything you'd like to see?

Thanks,
Dj.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
Re: Winter Tileset in Progress..
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 08:11:34 »
Looking good so far! :) I like the colors and the pattern of the ground, the white grass and lumps of snow.

The tree somehow doesn't make me feel like I'm looking at a winter scene though. The white canopy kinda hints at it, but still it reminds me more of a tree full of cherry blossom than snow. I guess the reason is because these kinds of trees usually lose their canopy by the time winter comes around, and you could see only bare branches with a few stray leaves hanging.

I think that contrasting black or dark grey bare trees would create a more wintery landscape feel, and perhaps there could be snow-covered evergreens (eg. pine) if you want to go for full-canopy trees.

Other than that, icicles and frozen patches of ground could go with this tileset nicely.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Re: Winter Tileset in Progress..
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 01:57:58 »
Looking good so far! :) I like the colors and the pattern of the ground, the white grass and lumps of snow.

The tree somehow doesn't make me feel like I'm looking at a winter scene though. The white canopy kinda hints at it, but still it reminds me more of a tree full of cherry blossom than snow. I guess the reason is because these kinds of trees usually lose their canopy by the time winter comes around, and you could see only bare branches with a few stray leaves hanging.

I think that contrasting black or dark grey bare trees would create a more wintery landscape feel, and perhaps there could be snow-covered evergreens (eg. pine) if you want to go for full-canopy trees.

Other than that, icicles and frozen patches of ground could go with this tileset nicely.
I was thinking of scraping it and going with pines..
And I'll try some frozen patches.
Dj.