The Great Work (the game) - Trailer

• 30 Replies

Offline Looki

• View Profile
Re: The Great Work (the game) - Trailer
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 19:32:04 »
I haven't, but there's not magic behind it. You need to use it properly.
After all, I think I will release it sometime. Gonna have another look at it to see if can be improved. I remember there was one oddity about it.

The game looks great, by the way :D

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 20:18:35 »
It's a cool shader, it basically offsets the image horizontally based on the red channel and vertically based on the green channel, so you can draw a distortion map :)

Offline Saml

• now I've got a pie turtle too
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 04:33:51 »
Wouldn't it be cool if you applied shaders to this shader's image mask?!
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Now that stars are official, I can go wild down here! :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar:
Quote from: Nifflas
There are many things you can explode. Cats, paintings of fruit, Kaknästornet, factories...

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 03:48:33 »
That sound you hear is the sound of a million graphics cards crying in despair.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 16:41:47 »
Yo dawg, I heard you like shaders, so I put a shader in your shader so you can lag while you lag.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 23:26:10 »
Actually, the technical solution would simply to do a single shader that distorts the background based on some mathematical stuff instead of the image mask. However, in this case the image mask worked perfectly so there was no reason to do it any differently.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 23:28:46 by Nifflas »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 04:22:17 »
Good Lord, the water movement is so fantastic.  Drool.  Any chance of a level editor?  :)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 12:47:38 »
Well, this game have an ASCII level format, so I've basically designed the entire world in notepad. It should be quite easy, the difficult thing is to learn what ascii symbol that represent what in the game. Unless any other party involved with the game have anything against the idea, I'll make the source open too.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 21:33:37 »
Wow, that is pretty wild.  I'll have to hearken back to the old ascii art days, eh?

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 23:36:22 »
Will it be the same system for the KnyttWaDF game?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 00:31:14 »
No, that'll be a full featured level editor, like in Knytt Stories. For the new game, I'm going to try the same model as for Knytt Stories, easy level editing. The game + level editor will be free, so people can create and share levels without even having to buy the full game.

There'll be one special mode available for people who pay for the game, with some addon game mechanics that are going to be awesome, but the idea is to make the free part of the game spread and become at least as popular as Knytt Stories. Right now, my idea is that as a free user, you can play the game in two separate Knytt and WaDF modes, and play my own and third party Knytt and WaDF style levels. Then there'll be a third "mixed" mode where you combine the moves of both characters, and levels specifically designed for this mode. This mode is the most fun one to play, but you have to purchase the full version to play it :)

But, even as a free user, you still get a full size Knytt/WaDF type of game.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 00:33:13 by Nifflas »

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 00:40:12 »
Woot! I guess that mans we're going to have to wait for quite a while, though... =P

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 00:50:27 »
Yes, KnyttWaDF is not done by any chance before 2012. The Great Work at the other hand is probably 90% done by now.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 08:13:45 »
Yo dawg, I heard you like shaders, so I put a shader in your shader so you can lag while you lag.

C)p

this game looks like knytt, but even prettier.. and with swimming! awesome. don't know what it has to do with that documentary, but i'm happy. C)

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 10:55:30 »
Nifflas - Your plan for the Knytt/WaDF Level Editor is really amazing. You've already made a massive contribution to game level editing. This new addition will be even more amazing, I'm sure. You're going to facilitate a whole new movement in amateur gaming art.

Out of curiosity, how would the game editor compare to the Knytt LE? Same 8-Layer Tileset + Gradients + COs format?