[Platformer/Adventure] Boundaries of Truth

• 14 Replies

Offline jelup

• View Profile
[Platformer/Adventure] Boundaries of Truth
« on: November 15, 2010, 16:21:08 »

"Das Spiel ist ein Jump & Run Spiel mit einer sich aufbauenden Geschichte. Ziel des Spielst ist das Einsammeln von Power Ups um weiter zu kommen. Die Suche ist jedoch nicht immer ganz leicht. Ebenfalls muss man fünf Schlüssel einsammeln, die jeweils wieder ein Stück zur Geschichte beitragen."

("The game is a Jump'n'Run game with a developing story. Goal of the game is collecting power ups to progress. That search isn't always easy though. You also have to collect five keys, that also advance the story.")

[mod]Every topic in Free Games needs a text description. I've added the original German text from the creator's website, and an English translation provided by Miss Paula.[/mod]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:52:39 by SiamJai »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: [Knytt Stories Mod] Boundaries of Truth
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 16:37:01 »
wow. that's an amazing mod/rewrite/implementation/...
upon reading the topic title I was sceptical if this shouldn't be better in the KS Levels, but all that stuff...the animations of the critters are so sweet not straight copies. really make it feel like it deserves to be a game topic in its own right.
haven't come very far yet, but I quite like it so far. :D
too bad only that it's in german and as such naturally less accessible to a wider audience than it could/would be in english. but (stupid me forgot there's a choice :oops:)
 from what I've seen it also seems to have a neat story. cool stuff man. :]

although I do have qualms about the climbing-via-extra-keypress (just too different from what I'M used to from Knytt/-Stories, I suppose), and the not-automatically-respawn.
I'm stuck after getting the blue, red and yellow keys.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
oh, and I have all but the "w" powerup. and the ufo enemy in the attached picture doesn't appear to get muted.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 21:48:56 by Miss Paula »
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 18:59:55 »
Looks really nice! Is there a way to save the game? I don't think I'll be able to finish it in one sitting.

By labeling it as a mod, do you mean the game was created by modifying the original KS source and then exporting it to Flash? Regardless, it's probably fine to leave it on this board.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Miss Paula

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 19:28:02 »
you can choose to continue a game at the same screen where you select the language. unless you deleted all you (flash) cookies, I guess. X)

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 20:19:00 »
I just played the whole thing and it's really good! It made me wish there was more.

At first I wondered why you didn't just make a level for Knytt Stories, but I suppose it's more like a Knytt mod than a Knytt Stories mod. Also you had some nice extra things going on.

I really liked all the powers and nothing was too hard to find.

I agree with the sentiment that it was hard getting used to how you climb. I think that should be more like in Knytt Stories, i.e. that you just stick to the wall without having to press anything.

Good job!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 21:15:05 »
I chose english and high quality, and then press load game. Now I have a german intro screen. :(

Is this a bug or something going wrong at my end?

EDIT: played the game entirely in german, but finished after 1 hours 2 minutes. Great game, only wish it had worked in english. I missed all the dialogues, and had to figure out what the powerups were on my own.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 22:19:25 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 21:50:10 »
^ Same for me.

Thanks Paula!
EDIT: Huh? Weird, it looks like the game stores separate saves if I choose a different sound quality.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 21:54:56 by AA »
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 02:35:47 »
Blast, I have everything but the red key now. D:

EDIT: Wow, I found it less than three minutes after making this post. 8)

EDIT AGAIN: And done. Clear time: 52:39.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:50:43 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Miss Paula

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:47:23 »
now that you all finished this, cannot anybody tell me where to find the W powerup or where to look next or something? :/
found it, thanks nobody. :P
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:47:45 by Miss Paula »

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:30:52 »
I played it just for a while, but I love it.
It is a great game - great KS mod.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 16:45:45 »

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 02:58:51 »
This is a good effort as far as a KS mod goes. The custom graphics, animation and tilesets look great - which makes the presentation all the more saddening, because the game shown here on the forum is not what the rest of the Internet sees. We got the German demo, labeled as a "KS Mod", correctly.

However, players outside this forum are presented with a massively monetized, hackjob-translated English version that makes you sit through an unskippable 15-second ad every single time you respawn. How lame is that?  :/

Or you can hang out with the Kong crowd and play a game that the developer presents as entirely his own creation, with no reference, tribute or credit to the original source whatsoever. Only when knowledgeable players question him in the comments, he begrudgingly acknowledges Nifflas in a half-sentence as an 'inspiration', quickly asserting that everything was made by himself. Lameness: +2 <_<

All in all, this could've been a lot better if the developer put as much effort into translation and crediting as he did into monetizing and claiming the work of others. Thumbs up for custom content and porting; two thumbs down for shoddy presentation. :moody:

Edit: great, now the developer's website is down too, which means a broken image and link. If this is not getting fixed soon, we will have to either remove the topic or link to this downloadable version instead. You can try playing that one, in case you'd like to have the English version on your desktop, like other KS mods and levels.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:02:39 by SiamJai »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 09:36:15 »
Game works at my end.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 02:01:06 »
And the image is back as well. :-) 

I hope the site won't go down regularly.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:20:28 by SiamJai »

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
Re: [Platformer/Adventure] Boundaries of Truth
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 15:48:04 »
Hmm, this is pretty awesome. If anyone wants me to try and translate the text, I guess I can try. My German is probably good enough.

*Edit: Amazing game. Don't have much time to write, gotta go now :P!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 16:03:06 by Yonowaaru »