Knytt powers? (concluded)

• 36 Replies

Offline Alaquiddin

• Expendable Forumer
    • View Profile
    • My Blockland Forums Account
Re: Knytt powers?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 03:20:02 »
Climbing gloves, being able to climb walls.
Hiking shoes, being able to run faster.
Flashlight, Pressing "F" will make your character flash brighter and repel certain enemies.
Happy mask, Acquiring this will make enemies smile. Smiling enemies tend to shoot less projectiles.
Broken typewriter, your character has a knack in repairing items. Only this hunk of junk is irrepairible. Slows your character down.
Good world wrench, press down on screws in the ground and you will tighten them, making bridges come down, or trapdoors open up.
Hover bracelets, press S and hold down and you will hover in air for three seconds. Let go of S to drop down. Use arrow keys to slowly navigate.
Flimsy balloon pack, Press B to bring out the balloon. You will start rising up and while doing so, gaining momentum. Hitting anything upwards will pop the balloon.
Bouncy shoes, press S to jump, and when you land press S and you will bounce off of the ground.
What

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 07:22:31 »
Climbing gloves, being able to climb walls.
Hiking shoes, being able to run faster.
Flashlight, Pressing "F" will make your character flash brighter and repel certain enemies.
Happy mask, Acquiring this will make enemies smile. Smiling enemies tend to shoot less projectiles.
Broken typewriter, your character has a knack in repairing items. Only this hunk of junk is irrepairible. Slows your character down.
Good world wrench, press down on screws in the ground and you will tighten them, making bridges come down, or trapdoors open up.
Hover bracelets, press S and hold down and you will hover in air for three seconds. Let go of S to drop down. Use arrow keys to slowly navigate.
Flimsy balloon pack, Press B to bring out the balloon. You will start rising up and while doing so, gaining momentum. Hitting anything upwards will pop the balloon.
Bouncy shoes, press S to jump, and when you land press S and you will bounce off of the ground.

But for the Happy Mask, Niiiiiiice :D
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 19:18:54 »
To be honest, I like that in Knytt Stories you have to get a powerup to run.

A few challenges in some levels depend on this, making enemies that aren't that challenging when you can run, quite difficult when you have to walk. Same with jumps.

Also it's a nice way to force people to look at the environment and listen to the music more  :P2

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 01:05:00 »
How about the knytt can die if it falls from a certain height... until they get a power up that sets it back to infinite falls?

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 17:48:39 »
A slide ability - not in the Mega Man "slide forward" sense, but in the "slide down hills and off ramps" sense.  Could also be used as a substitution for duck/crawl (slide under low ceilings, you'd need some momentum beforehand which could make for good puzzles).

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 11:59:40 »
Also it's a nice way to force people to look at the environment and listen to the music more  :P2
If you have to force players onto that, you're doing it wrong. :P

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 14:16:47 »
I think the biggest reason one would want to use the Knytt would be a ceiling with spikes or something. :D

If you have to force players onto that, you're doing it wrong. :P
Pretty much this. They're not enjoying the environment if they're angry at being forced into it.

Offline Alaquiddin

• Expendable Forumer
    • View Profile
    • My Blockland Forums Account
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 16:02:08 »
I think the biggest reason one would want to use the Knytt would be a ceiling with spikes or something. :D

Or maybe after awhile you have to use the knytt to push certain ball types
What

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 12:50:13 »
I've decided some new things now. I want to keep the button usage to a minimum. Arrows, A and S will control the main character in both the ball and knytt mode (though it will be customizable) and a third button will change between the characters. This is because I'm thinking in minimal gamepads so that the game could in theory be ported to any other system. That means that any power must be mapped on a very limited key layout, and I must be creative about which powers I add.

By this reason, to push a specific button to pop up a certain object will be difficult. It'll be a lot more about combinations of the existing buttons; standing on the ground while pressing Up and pressing S to make some special jump, and so on. You get the idea :) Apart from the hologram power, Knytt Stories practiced this.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 13:59:57 »
Apart from the hologram power, Knytt Stories practiced this.
Actually, the hologram power also worked under that principle, as it could be summoned by pressing down twice. ;)

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 14:56:30 »
In that case, how about pressing horizontal arrow twice makes it run? Then you'll have both walk and run. (I haven't play Kyntt Stories yet, so don't know if it's already like that :P)
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 16:48:54 »
It's not, but what are you waiting for??

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 17:10:14 »
In that case, how about pressing horizontal arrow twice makes it run? Then you'll have both walk and run. (I haven't play Kyntt Stories yet, so don't know if it's already like that :P)

OBJECTION!

Here's the scenario: You're working on a meticulous jump and accidentally tap the right arrow key two times in rapid succession, causing your character to run off the edge and die. After this happens a few times you give up, disgusted with the inability of the controls to work with you.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 19:00:33 »
Ah, don't worry, there'll be no walking in this game anyway. Besides, that'd just be impossible/annoying because of some other game mechanics I haven't explained yet.

Actually, the hologram power also worked under that principle, as it could be summoned by pressing down twice. ;)
Yeah, the W button was added to an update if I don't remember wrong since I got reports from people who couldn't hit the button twice fast enough, which was to me unexpected. I learnt my lession though, avoid double button hits.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 19:02:38 by Nifflas »

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 19:33:34 »
It's not, but what are you waiting for??

I'm waiting for me to get MY computer back. The one I can download on. I've played WaDF and Kyntt, but was planning to beat Kyntt before moving on to Kyntt Stories.
[/offtopic]

How about Kyntt  being able to fall into holes too small for regular balls?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 21:19:30 by jetio4 »
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~