Knytt powers? (concluded)

• 36 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Knytt powers? (concluded)
« on: November 11, 2010, 23:43:25 »
What kind of powers should a Knytt type of character have? Think how it's done in Knytt Stories.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 13:10:57 by Nifflas »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Knytt powers?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 23:52:14 »
Something that I'd love to see is the ability to swim.

If you don't have the powerup, touching water will kill you. If you have it, it will allow you to slowly sink to the bottom until you hit the bottom, giving different physics.

Of course, there still can be lava and other kinds of waters (acid?) that will continue to kill you, so only one special type of water can be used.

There could be even different powerups for this. One will allow you to get into the water (a skill) but only for a limited time, while another is a diving suit that will allow you to actually stay under water for unlimited time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 23:53:49 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:14:21 »
If I learned anything from KS levels, it's that many times the run powerup is taken for granted, and players complain if it's not there. So this Knytt-type character could perhaps come with it as default, making slow movement optional (button-triggered).

Also, the dual-character setup presents an opportunity for each char to come with its own unique limited set of movements with little overlap. Ie. the Knytt-type guy could lack high jump/double jump, making the ball to be the only choice to cover larger vertical ground. The Knytt guy could then cover more horizontal ground either with a 'longjump' powerup or with a tool (in the way of the Knytt-kite, for example).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:17:47 by SiamJai »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:02:35 »
If I learned anything from KS levels, it's that many times the run powerup is taken for granted, and players complain if it's not there. So this Knytt-type character could perhaps come with it as default, making slow movement optional (button-triggered).
Yeah, running is always on by default now.

Also, the dual-character setup presents an opportunity for each char to come with its own unique limited set of movements with little overlap. Ie. the Knytt-type guy could lack high jump/double jump, making the ball to be the only choice to cover larger vertical ground. The Knytt guy could then cover more horizontal ground either with a 'longjump' powerup or with a tool (in the way of the Knytt-kite, for example).
That's the idea actually!

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:53:48 »
That's the idea actually!

Strange, I would have thought of it the other way around! This Knytt can climb, right? I really like that ability. I'd think that would make it a better choice for tackling high-up things, while I'd associate the generally fast and floaty WaDF ball with covering long distances through the air.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 17:09:54 »
The ability to duck and get into small passages the ball can't. As a bonus, you could use this to restrict the player from going past a certain point until they've gained their Knytt form, if that's how you're going to make it work.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 17:22:06 »
Just to put things back into perspective for Nifflas.

Nifflas has already thought about how the Knytt and WaDF aspect of the game work together. Nifflas is looking for abilities the Knytt has when s/he's a Knytt, not how to get certain puzzle aspects. Nifflas already has that part nailed.

I know this because I already had the same idea. I also gave some advise, and found out that Nifflas already pretty much has thought this one out.

Nifflas still likes to hear ideas about what the character as Knytt can do.

Perhaps in a future stage, when the abilities become more known, he'll revise how switching between Knytt and the ball work in game. Would he then ask for advice, I'm sure he'll do it in public.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 18:16:11 »
Strange, I would have thought of it the other way around! This Knytt can climb, right? I really like that ability. I'd think that would make it a better choice for tackling high-up things, while I'd associate the generally fast and floaty WaDF ball with covering long distances through the air.
Yeah, it can climb, but not jump high or double jump. In other words, the ball might need to be used to reach a certain height, then you can transform to a ball up in the air and grab onto a wall.

I wouldn't say this is as simple as a x vs y speed thing. The characters are very different, they handle both horizontal and vertical stuff differently. Anyway, just ideas about powers are great, I won't go deeper into how this works in the game. But as LPChip said, I'm not taking ideas about how the WaDF ball or Knytt should interact between each other here, this is mainly about powers the knytt character can have on its own.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 18:26:18 by Nifflas »

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 00:10:07 »
How about digging?  I would love to see a knytt character dig tunnels through the ground.  Of course I have no idea if it's possible.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 00:15:19 »
Although digging is a cool feature even in any direction, it requires certain limits otherwise, the player could dig himself out of any level and get into voids easy, or even get past obstacles.

If you want to otherwise limit a player's access unless a certain powerup is in possession, it could be like a hazard mask to get past a dangerous area.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 12:47:58 »
How about digging?  I would love to see a knytt character dig tunnels through the ground.  Of course I have no idea if it's possible.
There could be special walls, which could be digged, or mask to set the area which could be digged. Using it, knytt will be able to dig to the cave area, dig trough wall to some special part of level or something like it.

A special power that allows player to visit toxic areas would improve game possibilites too.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:57:55 by Comhon »

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 13:07:20 »
How about crawling? The knytt character would be able to get through narrow spaces that the ball character wouldn't.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 13:33:43 »
I don't think you can separate the ball/Knytt interaction, from the question of what power-ups the Knytt needs. It's really a question of how can we improve the Knytt when the ball is so mobile?

Anyway, I have 2 ideas.
  • Power Bracelets: Knytt can pull and push blocks. With bracelets Knytt can pull and push larger blocks. This can be upgraded to move yet larger blocks.
  • Upgraded Climb: Allows climbing on ceiling.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 20:02:39 »
Grappling hook!

http://messhof.com/you-found-the-grappling-hook/

Aside from that, I'd just like to point out that one of the amazing things about a fully powered knytt is just how fun it is to go flying through levels that where previously impossible to navigate.  It is the epitome of NOW I HAVE POOOOWWWWEEEERRR!

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 01:53:30 »
I had an idea while watching my friend play "red dead redemption".

He enjoys using completely game breaking cheats, and was a bit annoyed about the "not being able to save" obstacle when using cheats.

Now, with the original Knytt, I REALLY enjoyed the long jump and fast run power up cheats. Maybe an option would be to have cheats, such as the hang glider and balloon, however remove all of the save points while playing with such cheats.

I have to say that playing knytt with the hang glider was the most fun I have ever had with a platforming game.