Locations?

• 82 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Locations?
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 23:13:48 »
Fun facts, the world is now as big as the Knytt world in room count. Due to the different aspect ratio, the world in tiles is 1.6 times larger than Knytt. Taking the higher resolution in account too, the game world should be about 4.55 times larger in pixel count. I estimate that me and Agneta Åkerlund have designed a third of the world (but perhaps if things work out really well, perhaps we can try for even larger). I've set my daily quota to 10 rooms a day.

In the end, I expect more than half of the development time of KnyttWaDF will only be designing the locations. The work on this game doesn't conflict with The Great Work by the way, which is almost done by now but is on hold since it should be released with the documentary and not before.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 23:16:12 by Nifflas »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2011, 17:39:48 »
Good grief, it sounds like it's going to be absolutely vast  :D

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2011, 19:30:57 »
It'll hopefully be my largest single continuous game world :)

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2011, 07:19:09 »
And what about a something psychedelic (glowing sky, glowing mushrooms, moving grass, ...)
Something like Shivering Isles in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion!
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

There are some more psychedelic regions, but it is hard to find a good screenshot...
I think that it will be best to watch some let's play.  :/
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2011, 11:22:56 »
Uh-Oh and what about some barrier reef?
But not underwater, but something like corals on the ground. You can walk or run between corals, avoiding wells full of water. Somewhere in the ground part of the reef, there could be a swim/dive powerup (if it does exist). Then you can dive into those wells, which make an underwater labyrinth.

Spoiler: Something like this (click to show/hide)
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Juni

• The Flying Yellow Submarine.... Waits.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2011, 01:07:35 »
A foggy place with past locations of your other games! like for example, there's this eerie pipe and you enter it, only to be brought to Pinewood Hights and you are stuck in ball form!
I Am Waiting......

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2011, 06:12:08 »
A discothèque, deep underground, populated not by Knytts but by some common background creature encountered previously in the game. Maybe that rock turtle thing? Maybe lots of those, all dancing to music and bright flashing lights? I think that would be pretty great.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2011, 10:59:12 »
Interesting! I like the idea of a disco... or perhaps like a concert with a scene where a band plays.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2011, 13:00:51 »
If I'll add it depends on if I can get CT to add the feature to synchronize audio tracks in MMF2. I need either that or a low-pass filter, so that when you get further away from the concert you can still hear the sound but quite muddy. Without that effect, it'll never be able to sound cool.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2011, 13:48:36 »
*faints in the face of that idea's awesomness*
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2011, 14:15:30 »
I suppose, the most time is in loading the tracks.

Can't you first load the tracks, then set both their position to 0 and then start playing? Or is even then a delay?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2011, 16:45:10 »
The problem is that the events that triggers the "set sample position" action as well as the "play sample" action are not triggered in the audio thread, which means there can be a small delay between when each actions triggers. If MMF2 was designed, sound related actions wouldn't trigger by an action, but remembered until the end of the current frame, so that they could all be triggered by the audio thread itself with sample accuracy.

At the other hand, even without sample accuracy, perhaps it's close enough to just set the sample position to 0 once all the samples are cached. I'll make some tests.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2011, 12:23:39 »
Do you have any screen shaking effects or similar implemented? It might be neat if the screen shook in time with the bass if you stand too close to the speakers, or something along those lines.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 12:46:51 »
I don't think I'll implement that. It's too much work for a small thing. I have something else in mind that'll be really cool tho!