Locations?

• 82 Replies

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Re: Locations?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 13:47:31 »
An area that's really windy, possibly a wide rolling plain or something. But I want to see everything affected by the wind, i.e. no tall-growing plants (they are all slanted) and of course all the grass and plants would be animated. You could even feature some windmills.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 11:57:58 »
My favourite atmospheres from Nifflas are the nightly ones with that nostalgic tone, like the forests from WaDF and mas2 and the beginning of FiNCK. (By the way, horray for NightSky on PC ;)) I guess some of these are certainly going to be included.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 11:25:45 »
Ooh, some great inspiration there!

And about the crystal cave, it's on #9 on a list of RPG cliché's. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not going to do it, the game positively needs a crystal cave like many of my earlier creations. In fact, I'll probably do most of the other listed cliché's too C)p

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 12:19:51 »

And about the crystal cave, it's on #9 on a list of RPG cliché's. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not going to do it, the game positively needs a crystal cave like many of my earlier creations. In fact, I'll probably do most of the other listed cliché's too C)p

Actually, that would mean that you're also planning to make the others in the list. X) Neat!!!
#9. The Compulsories
There's always a fire dungeon, an ice dungeon, a sewer maze, a misty forest, a derelict ghost ship, a mine, a glowing crystal maze, an ancient temple full of traps, a magic floating castle, and a technological dungeon.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 13:17:16 »
Yeah, that list isn't even limited to RPG's really, they tend to reappear in many games. I'd definitely enjoy doing a sunken ship location.

Here's a list of what I have now, and you'll probably recognize a few themes from quite a few of my earlier games:

* Misty forest
* Mushroom forest
* Temple ruins
* Glowy flowery place
* Lava cave
* Generic everyday cave
* [Secret, won't tell]

That is, I've started out creating those areas and got the theme graphics (tilesets, background scenery) partially done.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 13:20:16 by Nifflas »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 13:56:04 »
http://en.mystlore.com/wiki/Spire

This is one of my favorite Myst ages. It essentially boils down to a floating hunk of crystal rock, with smaller bits around it. Does that sound appealing?

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 15:34:13 »

How about, uh... some of the... unlisted Clichés, eh? If you know what I mean :shifty:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 19:13:44 by Gorfinhofin »

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 15:52:09 »
a swamp perhaps? or what about an object unusual size proportion. Like, knytt finds himself in a typewriter. Heh, random idea. X)
hmm. have I mentioned the sand turtles yet? :crazy:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 16:26:08 »
Hmm.. Perhaps a cloudy place? Or maybe even heaven-like?
(I was gonna recommend a sewer/city place, but I guess that's too much of a cliché?)

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 17:01:44 »
(I was gonna recommend a sewer/city place, but I guess that's too much of a cliché?)
Well, the urban levels from the abandoned WaDF2 looked great and I don't think Nifflas has made many environments like those.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 19:54:44 »
http://en.mystlore.com/wiki/Spire

This is one of my favorite Myst ages. It essentially boils down to a floating hunk of crystal rock, with smaller bits around it. Does that sound appealing?
Now you've done it.  The next fifty suggestions are going to be pulled straight from Myst.

(though something like the channelwood age would be cool, with the trees sticking out of the water and-*gets shot in the head*)

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 00:12:50 »
If you haven't already, watch Planet Earth, the BBC documentary. They film in some truly stunning locations and it could be a great inspiration.

Relevant to the crystal cave idea, one of the most awe-inspiring locations they film is the legendary Lechuguilla Cave:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Lechuguilla_Chandelier_Ballroom.jpg
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 11:06:53 »
I definitely want to see Planet Earth, I've seen footage from it, looks awesome!

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 13:09:55 »
Now you've done it.  The next fifty suggestions are going to be pulled straight from Myst.

(though something like the channelwood age would be cool, with the trees sticking out of the water and-*gets shot in the head*)

Probably not a bad thing. Seriously, some of MYST's environments are EPIC!

I too vote for a spire area. (its my fav as well :^^:)
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot