Ball materials? (concluded)

• 24 Replies

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
Re: Ball materials?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 16:30:27 »
Hmm.. A different kind of Glass Ball, which bends lasers?
Could be useful for puzzles?

Also, Water Ball? Becomes a liquid when in other liquids, allowing for swimming?

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 17:42:29 »
I like that glass ball idea. Add laser-sensitive switches and you've got loads of puzzle possibilities.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 19:46:46 »
A mirror ball sounds great to me, but how would you position it precisely with all the bouncing?

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 20:02:17 »
Nice question... S key stops the ball?

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 12:38:05 »
Probably the same as in WaDF? Just hold A or something?

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 13:17:17 »
My mistake, that's what I meant. x)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Ball materials? (concluded)
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 13:14:19 »
Thanks for your suggestions :) The ball and knytt powers are determined now!

Offline Ganoan

• Wondering...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 11:06:20 »
What about a kind of "mini" ball? Just in case it is not too much work to change the size of the ball from the programming point of view. Well, a ball that is able to pass narrow areas. Or enemies which are not able to recognize this ball type.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 14:13:46 »
Actually, I better tell you so nobody gets disappointed later; I ended up choosing not to use ball materials. It worked very nicely from a puzzle point of view in WaDF, but it doesn't work that well in a more "open" game world like this. Basically, a game have something of a will on it's own, and sometime I need to go a different direction that I originally planned because the game needs it. I decided that instead of achieving complexity through the ability to change between powers, I wanted complexity by a single movement type with more depth. If the hook in WaDF were the ball materials, the hook in this game is how you can make a certain move where you chain uses of both characters to get the right momentum to reach a specific place. It's probably a little bit harder to learn, but it is very satisfying when you get the hang of it.

In either case, even though you get a ball movement, don't expect everything from WaDF, this is still a new game that plays very differently. What you can expect for sure is a huge non-linear world with a lot of variation and atmosphere, and more exploration than in any of my previous games.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 00:14:00 by Nifflas »

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 23:49:06 »
I loved the ball materials in WaDF, but what you're saying about the needs of the game makes a lot of sense.  If combining the movements of the two characters is a major element, then those movements changing due to different materials would make things feel inconsistent and haphazard.

Also, more exploration than previous games?  Is that even possible?  :D