Ball materials? (concluded)

• 24 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Ball materials? (concluded)
« on: November 11, 2010, 23:38:03 »
I've not decided for sure if I'll do ball materials, but in case I do, I could use ideas :D What ball materials would you like to see?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 13:13:53 by Nifflas »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Ball materials?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 23:48:55 »
Maybe reuse some ball materials from WaDF2? That way they would actually get into a proper game, like the electric ball, magnetic ball and hover ball?

I suppose a glass ball would be anyone's thrill...

If you're looking for new materials, then I would aim for certain abilities, like:

- floatation on water surfaces;
- helium filled that will be unable to move in downwards direction, so once you select this, you will rise and rise... like a balloon;
- momentum ball - has little movement abilities, but once you hit jump or perhaps even the slow button, it will not respond to your controls. instead it will continue moving into whichever direction it moves until you release the button, or perhaps to give it an element of gameplay, once you hit a wall it also stops.
- ball(s) that becomes solid to certain lightbeams, but anything else goes through it. This could be a great puzzle element like in Utopioca
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline B-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 06:17:42 »
It'd be really cool to see a cornstarch and water ball.

Cornstarch mixed with water (a non-newtonian fluid) acts like a liquid when sitting still but becomes firm when pressure is applied to it. This would be pretty cool in some situations, like jumping around and then sitting still on a conveyor-belt so the ball melts and slips under a low wall. Or, the ball could rest on top of a narrow crack, become a liquid and pour down through it, then continue out on the other side.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 12:40:08 »
I think threre could be something like magnetic ball in mobile game called Magnetic Joe.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 16:22:45 »
I'm pretty sure the magnetic ball from Operator Status will be back, that's one of the ones I liked most, though that one was more similar to a typical grappling hook!

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:22:45 »
Many of the balls from WaDF 2 offered plenty of gameplay possibilities. That "jetpack" ball and both magnetic ones were extremely interesting.

Another possibility would perhaps be a Gish-like ball, unable to jump but with the ability to stick to walls and travel on ceilings. This might overlap a bit with the Knytt character, though...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 20:03:30 by PONTO »

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 19:55:49 »
?Pathetic Ball?
As in a ball that's a really bad ball...until a certain requirement is fulfilled!  :O
Also, I'm thinking that the Jetpack ball couldn't really be like the flying ball in WaDF1, but more like the Booster 0.5/2.0 in Cave Story. Just putting that out there ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 19:58:05 by jetio4 »
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 17:10:43 »
?Pathetic Ball?
As in a ball that's a really bad ball...until a certain requirement is fulfilled!  :O

There was one of those in WaDF. I hated it. :<

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 19:25:50 »
?Pathetic Ball?

There was one of those in WaDF. I hated it. :<

As far as my knowledge is, the pathetic ball in WaDF never became good. It became USEFUL, but never GOOD. I'm talking about that same ball that becomes good later.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 20:59:25 »
I just had a sort of crazy idea: Instead of having two magnetic balls, have only one ball that changes its charge with every bounce. I can see this being used in specific challenges, where crumbling platforms would force you to perfect a series of repel and attract maneuvers.

If not applied to the charge, I still think that this ball material shifting between two properties, sort of like a yin-yang ball can have a potential for some interesting challenges.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 21:11:32 »
Reversed gravity ball, perhaps?
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 21:18:27 »
I'm seeing the gravity-shifting mechanic more as applied to levers and switches, in a #mas2 fashion.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 22:05:50 »
Ah, sorry, I won't be doing that.

Offline Feryl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 00:45:43 »
Some sort of ball that can hover or glide in some way.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 05:48:27 »
I just had a sort of crazy idea: Instead of having two magnetic balls, have only one ball that changes its charge with every bounce. I can see this being used in specific challenges, where crumbling platforms would force you to perfect a series of repel and attract maneuvers.

If not applied to the charge, I still think that this ball material shifting between two properties, sort of like a yin-yang ball can have a potential for some interesting challenges.

I've got a great name for it too.

Nightmare Ball. :C