TIGSource Features KS Levels

• 29 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: TIGSource Features KS Levels
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 01:45:42 »
Did someone call my name? Hmm... No, I guess I'm just hearing things.

This list was certainly another solid line up, but I was surprised that Raicuparta's Aperture Science didn't make the list. Maybe Ortoslon didn't enjoy it. At any rate, congratulations to all who made the list.

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 07:39:27 »
Maybe Ortoslon didn't enjoy it.

correct

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:14 »
Maybe Ortoslon didn't enjoy it.
correct
Well that's a shame.
I hope I get a level in one of these lists some day, maybe the one I'm working on right now :)

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 23:40:59 »
I see a theme going on; every time Talps makes a level, ortoslon malkes a new TIG post with it in the group!
Kidding, ofc.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 02:09:18 »
A nice selection, as ever. It's really good of you to write regular features showing a selection of great levels; I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy playing them but wouldn't otherwise find out  :)

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 11:40:54 »
Just shows every fifth level is mine these days :P

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 20:45:30 »
Thanks for the mention Ortoslon. I'm finding it interesting to see how people outside our community view our levels in the comments on your articles and videos.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 02:45:41 »
Well most of the comments aimed at DNPUTK on the TIGSource and Youtube are pretty negative. I wonder if that would be the case if Ort had shown the good ending to the level like I requested he would.

The question of 'But what would happen if he had picked up the key?' is the much more intriguing one, the one that makes you doubt the warnings in the game. Sure, you've been given a lot of advice and you're used to listening to all advice you're given in computer games, especially when the advice is telling you how to win. But curiosity about what would happen if you did pick up the key wars with the obvious response, hence the fun of the dilemma.

Plus the cruel bad ending text doesn't work without the context of the nice ending, which is why I think I'm getting such massive amounts of aggro from everyone who's watched the video without playing the level.
Which, in turn, is why I asked Ort to show the good ending in the video, and okayed him to distribute it if he agreed to that. Pretty annoyed that he decided to ignore my request in the end, and tempted to ask that he hide the video like he did with the one for 'Petals of a Dying Flower'. Better no one sees it than for so many people to see it and hate it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:59:08 by Talps »

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 03:16:37 »
ahem,

Quote from: PM from Talps (highlighting is mine)
[...]if you play and decide you like this level, and then decide to make a video of it, I'd like to request that you end said video in the room containing the key, without showing the viewers whether or not you picked it up, or what happens afterwards. If you like, you could cut to the neutral credits in one of the ending cutscenes. But generally I'd appreciate it if you didn't show the consequences of picking up or not picking up the key.

This is, of course, if you choose to make a video of the level at all.

If it goes massively against your grain not to show the thing and the whole of the thing, then I'd request you pick up the key in the video.
to which i responded that i don't despoilerify my videos, and i'd record and upload with the keyful ending after a two week delay.

Quote from: next PM from Talps
Ok, that's fine :) And I don't mind you uploading the video to the thread and the TIGSource; the point of the playthroughs is to be seen so I'm ok for you to go for the with-key ending. A two-week delay would be good though.

2 thumbs down and 3.5 comments are not massive amounts of aggro, even if you ignore 6 thumbs up. of course those who get butthurt from the ending comment and those who don't don't. i hid the Petals of a Dying Flower video because i had to remove audio that youtube detected as copyrighted and i don't want muted videos to show up on my channel
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:48:51 by ortoslon »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 10:53:04 »
The biggest negative comment I saw about Do Not Pick Up the Key was written by a person who complained about not having any choices at the end. This means that they did not try the level themselves or they'd know better. Which also means they never had any choices about how the level was played. It's pretty unbelievable when you think about it. Ortoslon sorted them out properly. It's not the sort of level you can enjoy from a video anyway. If you're not personally facing the temptation and final decision, then there isn't much in it for you. Another note, Talp's level is drawing the most views and comments of the four, showing that it has the most immediate attraction at a glimpse.

I fully support Ortoslon's playthroughs. Once we release our games to the public we don't have much say over what happens to them. People are going to make videos if they want to. Ortoslon's videos are pretty good compared to a lot of Let's Play vids I've seen. There's no critical commentary and his gaming skills are superb. Having such well made videos out there already is the biggest deterrent against people making more, and probably terrible, videos of the same thing. Finally, if the player has a choice of how to play the game, then why shouldn't Ortoslon? He is a player after all.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 13:50:37 by egomassive »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 12:29:36 »
Well most of the comments aimed at DNPUTK on the TIGSource and Youtube are pretty negative. I wonder if that would be the case if Ort had shown the good ending to the level like I requested he would.

Youtube and the TIGS frontpage are both notoriously negative, I'd recommend trying to take the critical comments with a pinch of salt.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 19:31:14 »
Ok, apologies.
My original PM did say that if you weren't happy with cutting out the end then I'd prefer it if you could show the ending without the key, and I'd still rather have done so. But I'll accept that I'm overreacting about the negative criticism.

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 05:03:42 »
stop accusing me of misquoting your message. i copypasted from an email notification
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:06:41 by ortoslon »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 23:42:43 »
I'm not. I misread your message. I'm just saying what I said, but then I misread what you said and didn't realise 'til after I watched the video.