How is it going with new level archives?

• 22 Replies
Re: How is it going with new level archives?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 03:58:38 »
Thanks for the input. The 'date added' column sounds reasonable.
I think we will go with the "Reviews/Comments" format, because it does not differ that much from your idea anyway:
Comments can be anything. Bug reports, and various discussions. Reviews will be used to give your "actual" feedback. I'm not sure yet how things will turn out, but you will probably have to write a short text and give some scores for the music etc.
It would be nice if you could give short, simple comments about whether you liked the level or not, but I'm not sure if it's actually that necessary. I would prefer to keep the reviewing part because it seems sensible to do, after all, I'm sure some of you will be glad to give proper feedback.

Besides, thanks for offering help :) Appreciate it.
Actually, the main reason I was (somewhat) against the "review" feature was because I know some people would post their reviews in the comments. To me the two sections seemed a bit too much alike.

But if, like you mentioned, the review section will have some sort of score bars for music/gameplay, etc. - the difference between two sections will be much more obvious, so less people are likely to post their opinions in the wrong section. I guess it's mostly a matter of visual design.

Well then, best of luck. :)

I gave up my alternative level archive early. I wanted to spend my time actually develop games instead XD
Seeing how many awesome games you've created so far, I doubt anyone would disagree with the choice you've made. :P

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 07:44:05 »

Actually, the main reason I was (somewhat) against the "review" feature was because I know some people would post their reviews in the comments. To me the two sections seemed a bit too much alike.

But if, like you mentioned, the review section will have some sort of score bars for music/gameplay, etc. - the difference between two sections will be much more obvious, so less people are likely to post their opinions in the wrong section. I guess it's mostly a matter of visual design.

Well, everyone around here seems fairly intelligent and quite capable of using the section for their respective purposes.
However, giving the uploader the ability to request deleting or moving of improperly placed comments could correct any slip-ups.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 17:44:52 »
Yeah, as I said, there will be multiple scores that add up to a total score, plus the description.
Besides, I agree with JC, the community can handle it, I'm sure.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 18:23:35 »
I've got an idea. knytt.bin isn't compressed, installs slowly and you can only install one level at a time. I can make a simple program that would be associated with ".ksl" extension which in turn would be a simple 7-Zip archive for example. So, levels would be installed by simple double-click and would take less in size and CPU load on server. Another advantage is that it would be easier to extract things like name, description and icon from the level due to a commonly understood format. Would 7-Zip work well for the server side?

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 19:33:36 »
There's little reason to use a compressed format for KS levels, since the bulkier parts (music, graphics and the map) are already compressed: you'd only reduce the size of the World.ini file in the end, which isn't all that much. Considering that another format wouldn't work with the level installer in Knytt Stories, I don't think it's worth the effort.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 21:44:13 »
Well, everyone around here seems fairly intelligent and quite capable of using the section for their respective purposes.
However, giving the uploader the ability to request deleting or moving of improperly placed comments could correct any slip-ups.

You gotta be careful with this one. Doing this may mean trolls will post nasty comments in the review section, where the uploader cannot move them. Allowing the uploader to remove/move reviews, however, allows them to delete all the ones they dont like.

for this reason, you should probably leave the moving to comments to the moderators, with a "report to mod" button.
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 07:45:08 »
You gotta be careful with this one. Doing this may mean trolls will post nasty comments in the review section, where the uploader cannot move them. Allowing the uploader to remove/move reviews, however, allows them to delete all the ones they dont like.

for this reason, you should probably leave the moving to comments to the moderators, with a "report to mod" button.

Forgive me if this comes off as rude, since it isn't intended as such, but didn't you basically repeat what I said?
Reporting the comment to a moderator is what I meant when I said "requesting deletion or moving".

Something that could be used to prevent trolls could be a VIP system. I system where comments made by new or untrusted users can be deleted by the uploader of a level if he is a VIP member. Likewise, VIP member's comments cannot be deleted by uploaders, only moderators. This way, the known and trusted members of the community have the ability to defend their levels against spammers, and since known members are highly unlikely to make spam comments, a mod would have to review it to clarify it is indeed, trash. Of course an untrusted user could always report the unfair removal, and if true to their word would be replaced.

Of course it has flaws, but nothing proper planning could not take care of.
Just an idea though. Take it or leave it. :)
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 10:44:23 »
I still think comment handling should be done the same way as it is with this forum. Only the staff can remove one, and the poster can remove his. For all else, report it.

I've got an idea. knytt.bin isn't compressed, installs slowly and you can only install one level at a time. I can make a simple program that would be associated with ".ksl" extension which in turn would be a simple 7-Zip archive for example. So, levels would be installed by simple double-click and would take less in size and CPU load on server. Another advantage is that it would be easier to extract things like name, description and icon from the level due to a commonly understood format. Would 7-Zip work well for the server side?

This is not a good idea. Nifflas used the .knytt.bin format to ensure that file transfers won't download the file as ascii which would screw up the transfer. .Bin files are transfered in binary mode in most cases by default.

Besides, for a new fileformat, a new version of KS should be made.

Having one big zip file with just the worlds folders in it, is asking for trouble anyway. A person makes a zip file the wrong way, and it can easily corrupt an install.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex