How is it going with new level archives?

• 22 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
How is it going with new level archives?
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:18:30 »
I just saw http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2774 It seems like everything was ready for new archives. I mean, for all games, not just FiNCK.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Re: How is it going with new level archives?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:39:06 »
LPchip is working on it.

Poor guy's got a life to live (unlike many of us here :P), so he's taking his time. Trick is to just sit back and wait patiently... or just forget about it completely and get a nice surprise when it is released.

AND PLEASE, NO FLAME WARZ!

(Wishing ya luck LP :D)
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 13:30:20 »
Actually, he handed the project over to J and Looki. Who also do it their spare time of which nobody ever has enough. X) So yeah, the "sit back and wait patiently" still applies, I guess. XD
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 17:42:08 »
Miss Paula is right, when LPChip left his position as an administrator, he also stopped working on the level archive. J agreed to help me out, but frankly, since then, not a lot has happened.
Since LPChip was the original programmer of it and also kind of managed how everything's supposed to be done, I'm a bit frightened now. There's really not much left to do, but me and J still have to get into it. I hope we can finish it in the near future, abandoning it near completion would be stupid.
Actually, I think the only thing left to do are the review feature and some minor tweaks, better design maybe.
Here are some screenshots, I hope they reveal something new to you...

Browse page
Level info page

:)

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 18:02:24 »
...when LPChip left his position as an administrator...

Wait a minute, he did?  :shocked:
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 18:05:13 »
Um, at least I thought he did? Apparently he didn't... O_o

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 23:22:07 »
Looks very cool!

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 23:28:14 »
Miss Paula is right, when LPChip left his position as an administrator,

That was an april fool's prank, silly :P
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 23:55:01 »
Actually, I think the only thing left to do are the review feature and some minor tweaks, better design maybe.

Browse page
Level info page

Oh god, this is awesome. I can barely believe how awesome it is.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 04:09:55 »

That was also a joke, silly :P

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:27:36 »
@_@
Gah, im confused. Whatever

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 09:49:24 »

I suppose I should clarify this.

I indeed was going to resign as administrator. This plan formed a month ago or something. I want to focus more on my music and having so many forums under my wings makes it harder for me to focus on my hobby, especially with a full-time job next to it.

When I looked into stepping down, it began to see that it wasn't really a good idea because the people who I thought could take over for me, weren't interested to become administrator for similar reasons as me quitting, not having the time or wanting to have the responsibilities.

So instead, I remain administrator, but I have delegated most of my tasks to other staff members. Paula and SiamJai will make changes where they see fit, and those who comes with ideas to me, I'll redirect those to Paula and SiamJai.

If I see things go bad, I will bring them to the staff's attention, but if they don't do anything with it, then I will not complain about it.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 23:24:18 »
I'm sure none of you know me (I don't visit here often, and I never comment), but I'm a big fan of Nifflas' games and music and I've often visited this place for new levels.

Browse page
Level info page

It was sad to see the KS Level Section taken down - there wasn't any place to preview and comment levels, and the new archive was still far from finished. Good thing the forum section has been eventually added back. But I'm still looking forward to a level archive you're making.

I have a few suggestions though:

I don't think the "review" feature is worth adding because "comments" and "reviews" are pretty much the same thing, except reviews are a bit more detailed. Besides, I really doubt there will be enough people who'd dedicate so much time and effort writing full reviews for every level (unless reviewing will be open for everyone, but then again - it would be the same thing as commenting). So I think reviews are better off posted as regular comments.

What I think it really needs is some way to separate people's opinions from bug reports and "help, im stuck" kinds of comments. I'm sure there will be both, which could create quite a mess.
So what do you think about having "comments" and "need help / report bug" sections instead (basically 2 comment areas, just named differently)?

As for design - in my opinion it looks great already. Besides, it can always be improved later.
Just one, but important thing - there has to be a "date added" column in the list of levels, so that users could arrange levels by date they were added or updated.

Anyway, good luck with the archive.
I'll be looking forward to finally seeing it finished. :)

P.S. I know HTML/CSS, so if you need some help with that - I'd be glad to help.

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 20:57:59 »
Thanks for the input. The 'date added' column sounds reasonable.
I think we will go with the "Reviews/Comments" format, because it does not differ that much from your idea anyway:
Comments can be anything. Bug reports, and various discussions. Reviews will be used to give your "actual" feedback. I'm not sure yet how things will turn out, but you will probably have to write a short text and give some scores for the music etc.
It would be nice if you could give short, simple comments about whether you liked the level or not, but I'm not sure if it's actually that necessary. I would prefer to keep the reviewing part because it seems sensible to do, after all, I'm sure some of you will be glad to give proper feedback.

Besides, thanks for offering help :) Appreciate it.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 22:41:49 »
I gave up my alternative level archive early. I wanted to spend my time actually develop games instead XD