[Environmental] Concealment

• 38 Replies

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
[Environmental] Concealment
« on: November 09, 2010, 21:28:59 »
As some of you may have already noticed, I've started expanding Moonlight - http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2152.0 - reworking the existing level and adding more areas and ideas. I'm happy to say there's considerable progress, and I really hope I'll be able to release the level before the year's end. Here are a couple of screens, two areas out of the projected three or four.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Environmental] Concealment
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 22:12:57 »
Your levels are a little too weird for me sometimes, but I have to say, "No one makes default tilesets look fresh quite like you."

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 22:18:27 »
Your levels are a little too weird for me sometimes, but I have to say, "No one makes default tilesets look fresh quite like you."

Thank you  :oops:  :) I've been trying to make a "normal" level since a long time ago, but somehow I always start getting ideas that fascinate me and just have to get implemented... and they usually make the level weird. Maybe I'll nail it one day.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 00:42:15 »
Ahhh... this looks nice.  :D  I for one like your weirdness.  When a story can break the box in a way that makes the box unnecessary, I'm pretty happy.  Granted, that is not always easy to do.

Offline variad

• Living on the edges
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 11:43:47 »
Weird... but cool. I especially like the trees, and the black things look like graphite or charcoal finger-marks on a sheet. I love it too when I find unexpected uses to old or "normal" tiles!

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 14:02:10 »
Ahhh... this looks nice.  :D  I for one like your weirdness.  When a story can break the box in a way that makes the box unnecessary, I'm pretty happy.  Granted, that is not always easy to do.

Weird... but cool. I especially like the trees, and the black things look like graphite or charcoal finger-marks on a sheet. I love it too when I find unexpected uses to old or "normal" tiles!

Thank you both :) I hope you'll enjoy the finished level.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 17:42:30 »
I don't really like the visual style you put in your levels, although, like egomassive said, it is definitely original. It just looks too jarring and clipped-off for me to appreciate. :/

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 18:26:14 »
I don't really like the visual style you put in your levels, although, like egomassive said, it is definitely original. It just looks too jarring and clipped-off for me to appreciate. :/

Eh, maybe we will eventually complete Seventeen (http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=3483.0) with Egomassive and then I'll have one normal-looking level to my credit. (Speaking of which, I notice the mods deleted the link to the demo  :()

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 18:10:53 »
I really love the "Nifflas goes antialiased" tileset. I don't think it gets nearly the use it deserves -- though this is understandable, because it is incompatible with most other tilesets. You have a very odd style, but I loved Moonlight and this is looking great as well!

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 21:31:52 »
Progress report: out of four areas (one of which is secret), two are completed and two are 30-60% complete. I may add a second secret area, but I'm not sure about that. Work is going extremely well, I'm very pleased with how things are looking.

One of the areas features the return of a once-famous, yet rarely used (?) tileset. I don't want to spoil a small level with too many screenshots, so here's the (admittedly abstract) plot instead. You find yourself in the Exit World - an abandoned man-made archipelago. The Concealment is a link between worlds, which you have to navigate while the demons are away, in order to get to the eternal Garden. Neither The Concealment nor the Garden are what they seem, and while the mystery of the Garden may be revealed to you in the end, the true nature of The Concealment will remain hidden.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 12:34:31 »
AAAAhhhhh...  I so love abstract and fantastic plots.  Such plots are like soothing balm to my brain... or crack cocaine, it's hard to tell sometimes.  :crazy:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 19:17:22 »
Progress report: blah, not much progress. Hit a dead end working on the remaining two areas, which are kind of.. 50% complete each. Difficult to explain the problems without showing screenshots, and I can't do that. Also, my perfectionism kicked in and I no longer like the size of the level and some of the major decisions, etc. Meh. Sorry! I still hope to finish it until December 31st though.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 22:29:24 »
Don't worry about apologising, you can only work at your own pace. Still looking forward to it, as and when you get it done. Just don't get disheartened  :)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 04:24:01 »
Just keep on dancing man.  Tappedy tap tap, tappedy tap tap...  (Have no idea where that came from :oops: )

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 18:36:30 »
Thanks guys  XD I'll try to do my best  :)