The Pipe System [normal/hard] [Challenge]

• 13 Replies

Offline TheSquashedOrange

• Nothing is bad or good, but thinking makes it so.
    • View Profile
The Pipe System [normal/hard] [Challenge]
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:08:58 »
This is the first level that I've made, it's a fairly short underwater level. The Hard difficulty has a few difficult (Annoying...) parts in it, so if it's driving you mental you can go through it on normal then change it back. Tell me what you think of it, the link is just below, enjoy. :D

http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/TheSquashedOrange%20-%20The%20Pipe%20System.knytt.bin
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:20:10 by TheSquashedOrange »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: The Pipe System [normal/hard] [Challenge]
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:21:56 »
Welcome to the forum! ^_^ *downloading*

EDIT: Woah, for a first level, it's pretty good! :U  I also liked...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
But in the pipes, it can ger somewhat boring. There's not much scenery. :/
EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot! This tileset's a little impratical, so you need to watch out for SGE's, or Small Graphical Errors, like there being no border on one side of the ground.
EDIT: VOOOOIIIIDDDD! :shocked: If you jump with the umbrella, hi-jump, and double-jump, from the top of the pillar thing above the ground all the way to the left, you end up in a void screen, which is where nothing is programmed. (It's called void because it uses background 0, which had "void" written across it sideways. [/historylesson])
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:47:07 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:17:17 »
Welcome to the forum! (as pumpkinbot said) *im downloading now and ill get back to you  C)p

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 14:49:50 »
Welcome to the forum from me also! Excellent first level, I must say. I like the backward shortcuts to avoid backtracking and the above-ground bits were good too. I didn't think the pipes were particularly boring, but a little extra scenery and stuff wouldn't hurt. Oh, and at one point a fish swam through a wall, can't remember where though. All in all, excellent level!

Offline Lunar_Tick

• "Do not disturb my circles"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 16:52:36 »
A very good level.
Things I liked: Non-linearity of the level. It felt as if it was thoughfully planned, and not made just plonking down rooms of lasers one after the other. Interesting "recycling" of rooms by making the players revisit some, but not backtrack.
Nonexistence of plot. My view is that some levels don't need a plot. Get over it, plot-lovers.
Scenery, challenges etc were good and polished.

Things that can be improved: Although the tidy use of tilesets in the level is admirable, the whole design lacked originality and freshness. Although aesthetically please, the level did not create a feeling of newness. On the other hand, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Things commendable: The changeable difficulty. Although I haven't played the easy version, I appreciate that you have worked on two versions of the level.

Akk ub akk, a very polished, well made, high quality and challenging level. Well done!
Νίψον ἀνομήματα μὴ μόναν ὄψιν

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 19:04:45 »
Great level!
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 22:22:16 »
Oh, and at one point a fish swam through a wall, can't remember where though.
That's just a glitch with the fish in general. The solid blocks of water are solid, so, if another object is placed on top of it, it will wallswim up and up and up. D: This was bypassed for the fish by making them not interact with 3rd layer objects. Meaning fish can swim through walls. :(

I'm guessing that's it...
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 23:09:26 »
Nice level  :whoa:

Offline Joozey

• It's a clockwork universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 23:38:12 »
A little short, but nicely done.
Gears grinding on maximum power, belts slipping to high speed.<br />In name of Her Majesty Victoria, FULL THRUST INTO ARMADA!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:42:30 »
Glad to see everyone seems to like it, (thanks for the advice :)) I'm not sure if I'll bother with fixing up the void on it's own, :/ if I ever add in any extra decorations, rooms etc, I'll fix it. C)

Or, better yet, I'll fix it when the new level archive is up. :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:44:02 by TheSquashedOrange »

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 03:55:08 »
Dunno wen the level archive will be up. i played the original version of this and its pretty damn good, especially the way its been set out so nicely
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 02:03:52 »
I've been away for a little while, so I thought I'd bump this to the top of the forum. I may also be posting another level up pretty soon. :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:51:10 by TheSquashedOrange »

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 03:32:41 »
heres a bump for u
brilliant level i love this one...
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 20:36:16 »
Nice. I played the easier version (because, having come to the game genre of platformer only at the ripe old age of 32, with Knytt/Knytt Stories, my reflexes and jumping abilities and so on are thoroughly crap), and found that quite manageable without being boring. Also, while not visually surprising, it was aesthetically pleasing (I like the 'Not Quite Dr. Clich?...' tileset, and you used it well.)