Trying to start tracking.

• 2 Replies

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Trying to start tracking.
« on: November 07, 2010, 00:43:56 »
I downloaded Mad Tracker, watched a couple tutorials and got familiar (enough) with the program.
I was ready to start, and I found myself staring at the screen for about an hour.
I knew once I had the first few notes I would be able to continue through with a song..
How do you guys get the inspiration for those first few notes?
:)

~dj.

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
Re: Trying to start tracking.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 11:24:47 »
I always start with the bass line, pick a key and start. Or try some things on my bass guitar before starting.
It's easier to create a melody around the bass line than the other way around. For me the inspiration comes after those first few notes, try out some things, staring won't help anything.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Trying to start tracking.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 11:40:37 »
I always start with something more important.

I listen to music that represent the feeling I currently have.

Can be slow, fast, specific style etc...

By listening a lot to it, I get many ideas for say... a baseline, drum track, etc...

Sometimes looking at something or hearing a particular sound can spark that interest.

If you really don't get anything, then here's another way:

Enter some random notes using any sound (can be bass, backing or even lead (part of melody)) and continue from there adding stuff. If you don't like the first thing, remove it and see if what remains is a good foundation to get working.

I usually get enough inspiration from that process to start from scratch again (delete all notes/patterns) and start over, but this time with a solid idea.

Also, its more important to find a sound you like. Just play the sound with your keyboard in the instrument or sample section and often enough it will spark some inspiration. Just when you found some nice baseline, try to track it into your pattern, and you have your foundation. Same applies to a drumline of course.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex