Extended Version v1.5.9 - mod for KS & Level Editor

• 119 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
Re: Extended Version v1.4.1 - mod for KS & Level Editor
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 21:31:18 »
This mod has been so useful, I could hardly knytt without it now.
I just don't understand, why don't GrayFace and egomassive team up with their awesome mods? ego's mod has some really cool stuff and it would be even better if there was an editor that made every new feature easier to implement in the levels.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2012, 01:58:05 »
To answer Raicuparta's question, I don't think the mods can be merged. We've both changed the game engine in very different ways. It would probably take as much work to join them as either of us have put in already. More importantly we're going in different directions. GrayFace's mod focuses on Lua scripting and alternate modes of play, like ball mode. Mine relies on ini instructions and built-in objects, like collectibles. To put it another way, his is powerful, mine is simple. I'm not saying you can't have both in one mod, but it would require an awesome level editor.

I have considered making a World.ini editor similar to the 3rd Party Tools. Don't know if it will happen though.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012, 13:14:00 »
To answer Raicuparta's question, I don't think the mods can be merged. We've both changed the game engine in very different ways. It would probably take as much work to join them as either of us have put in already. More importantly we're going in different directions. GrayFace's mod focuses on Lua scripting and alternate modes of play, like ball mode. Mine relies on ini instructions and built-in objects, like collectibles. To put it another way, his is powerful, mine is simple. I'm not saying you can't have both in one mod, but it would require an awesome level editor.

I have considered making a World.ini editor similar to the 3rd Party Tools. Don't know if it will happen though.
Thanks for clarifying.
And I'd love to see that World.ini editor happen, right now it is pretty much preferable to edit the ini directly, at least for me.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 18:27:54 »
3rd Party Tools - Run Knytt Stories doesn't seem to be working. Actually a good thing for me, since I accidentally click that way too often, but thought I should report it.

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 01:38:21 »
Howdy,

I installed 1.4.1 and the game works fine, but if I try to edit/view the screen info in Third Party Tools / Knytt Stories Manager (current screen), none of the page info (shifts, etc.) show up.  Now I realize that it's in script.lua.  Where can I get a tutorial on how to use the programming language?  Is a point and shoot interface in the works?  I still haven't completely mastered world.ini and objects (especially animated), etc.  There are several references on the web which have helped me, but this new script is Greek to me.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:26:29 by peterarev »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2012, 02:23:12 »
@ peterarev: Everything is working fine for me, and your installation sounds correct. (The Knytt Stories.exe and Knytt Stories Ex.exe should be in the same folder.) I have two questions. Does the manager work any differently when launched from the normal level editor? Do you realize all the fields will be blank until you select something?

If the manager doesn't work from the normal level editor, then the most likely culprit is that your directory address is too long. The manager can't digest long addresses. Try moving your entire Knytt Stories folder to a location like c:\Games\.

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 04:33:12 »
@ peterarev: Everything is working fine for me, and your installation sounds correct. (The Knytt Stories.exe and Knytt Stories Ex.exe should be in the same folder.) I have two questions. Does the manager work any differently when launched from the normal level editor? Do you realize all the fields will be blank until you select something?

If the manager doesn't work from the normal level editor, then the most likely culprit is that your directory address is too long. The manager can't digest long addresses. Try moving your entire Knytt Stories folder to a location like c:\Games\.

See my post again.  I edited it for the second time as I get the jist of 1.4.1.  Thanks for the coaching.  I'm pretty good with the Editor and just expected it to work with script.lua which it doesn't.  Is there a repository somewhere for Levels that take advantage of 1.4.1?  I could learn a lot by comparing script.lua to the screens and behaviors.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 13:19:56 »
This thread lists levels made for all the Knytt Stories mods. I can't help you with the script.lua. I believe there are resources on GrayFace's site, the place you got the mod from.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 13:24:14 by egomassive »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2012, 20:42:36 »
My site does contain 2 levels with scripts, but that's about it. Writing Help is too much work. I prefer consulting people about things they want to do.

3rd Party Tools - Run Knytt Stories doesn't seem to be working. Actually a good thing for me, since I accidentally click that way too often, but thought I should report it.
It will work in 1.5 >) I added it in 1.4 or 1.4.1, but forgot to implement the functionality.
Edit: Use Ctrl+Q shortcut I've added and you won't hit "Run KS" by accident ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 00:39:02 by GrayFace »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2012, 13:44:19 »
After considering for quite a long time, I've decided to port my currently in progress level to this mod (I have been using the better editor for a long time but now the level will actually require the mod), which will actually give me a lot more work but at least I'll get rid of tons of awkward workarounds and unnecessary screens.
What I'm saying is, you can hope a few questions to pop in here from time to time, I hope you don't mind :P
The first one is: is there a way to bind a different key to scroll the signs? Pg up and Pg down are ancient keys that no one uses anymore, I bet there are people who actually don't know what they are and would have to look for them in the keyboard.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 03:48:41 »
Not at the moment. I've put it on my list for v1.5.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 12:38:17 »
We've discussed linking to each others mods from the level selection screen*. I've now implemented that function, but where should the links point? For upgrading, Nifflas linked to a redirect.php on his website. This would probably be a good method for us, but only as long as we keep our sites up for all eternity. I originally planned to read the links from the settings.ini because that would allow the easiest method for updating the links. The problem with that is it's too easy for someone to abuse, redistributing with malicious addresses.

What are your thoughts?

*For people who are not GrayFace: In the same way that KS provides a link to Upgrade if the version you're using is outdated for the level you're trying to play, our mods are going to provide links to each other if the level you're trying to play is built for the other.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2012, 18:38:09 »
My mod's link is http://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/ks/ Nothing prevents it from staying up for eternity :) Except if Google does radical changes.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 05:43:06 »
A screenshot of a little makeover of the map. Another one is a mock-up of editing screen properties, but I'm sure I'm not going to implement it. What I want to make is lower-right box with sign currently being edited in script editor.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2012, 09:29:51 »
That map is pretty. *jealous*