Extended Version v1.5.9 - mod for KS & Level Editor

• 119 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: Extended Version v1.4.1 - mod for KS & Level Editor
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2012, 13:39:22 »
Adjacent screens preview!
I had to do the previews in 4 cycles, not 1 as I thought. This way I can render all objects on the screens without worries.
Edit: I've changed the screenshot, here you can also see sign editing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 15:11:25 by GrayFace »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2012, 15:31:06 »
This looks really awesome and helpful. Even if I'd use this editor to make stock levels, it would be really handy.

Speaking of which... Is it possible to see if certain items/objects are KSex only?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2012, 16:18:47 »
Yes, if you uncheck Screen -> Extended Version Objects, you'll only see standard objects and objects of other mods if there are any (their objects are hidden in Extended Version Objects mode).

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2012, 22:04:02 »
ah, thats perfect!
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2012, 16:38:47 »
Hooray, I found the way to make it zoom without much trouble! It's surprisingly simple. Well, not in pure MMF, but with some WinAPI.
This technique may also help solve issues with full-screen in Night Sky.
Edit: I already love to play fullscreen in native resolution (1280x1024 for me). Now I can make zoom option for the editor too.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 14:37:38 by GrayFace »

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2012, 02:56:33 »
 I've shifted my abnormally complicated game to every mod since the beginning, this one is the one that will make it happen. You are a fantastic dude. I can hardly wait for the native resolution and the level-editor's adjacent screen previews. But no hurry man. (yes hurry, haha)

I drew you a picture of Juni trying to script her own game. She is not very good at it.

I was wondering though... is there a glossary of the various game-specific functions and parameters you're messing with in the scripts?

I barely understand scripting as it is, but after me and a programmer buddy read all the lua scripts in the level and for the monsters and current effects, some of them look like you'd need to know some engine-specific variables and function calls to affect certain changes. I was wondering if you had a list of them that you used, or be willing to post in one of your threads?

Also, I have a very minimal understanding of programming, so ignore what i said if it doesn't make any sense. :P
http://jerkdouglas.deviantart.com
 Hit the gallery and you'll find the concept directory for my game.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2012, 03:55:21 »
Awesome :) 2 things left before I can release the new version are the example level and ReadMe updates. There are more things I wanted to do, but they can wait.
Writing help is a hard task that I decided not to do. With the small number of KS Ex users it's easier to help individually with particular scripts. Also with what is possible and what isn't (most things are possible :)). Most functions and variables can be found in Data\Lua\main.lua and some in Data\Lua\Functions.lua. Search for "local ObjectProps" in main.lua - these are 2 variables common for most objects. Then there go variables specific to various objects. These variables are used like "o.Permanent = 1".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:02:59 by GrayFace »

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2012, 13:13:51 »
Holy crap I'm an idiot. That is exactly what I was looking for and I just didn't check that folder. Thanks a ton, haha.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2012, 13:15:43 »
Version 1.5

Game:
  • New "Keep resolution in full screen" menu item to play the game in native monitor resolution, "Zoom" for windowed mode.
  • Options menu added.
  • High priority of game process, so background tasks won't spoil the gameplay.
  • Now all sounds are stopped when KS is inactive.
  • Ball mode: little air friction added, lower bounce when A is pressed, 45 degree slopes climbing, no more high jumps using corners, BouncingBallMode function accepts parameters now.
  • Now you can drag & drop .knytt.bin files to install them while you're anywhere the menu screen.
  • "Play" button in Install Level screen now leads directly to the installed level.
  • Better looking map with ability to show unvisited places.
  • Controls can be configured.
  • Set "NoHologramDoubleDown = true" in Data\UserScript.lua to turn off triggering the Hologram when you press Down twice.
  • New design of sign scroll arrows.
  • egomassive's font for signs, Clean.png. It contains characters missing in original font. To use it add "Font=Clean" line to [KS Ex] section of World.ini.
  • Support for gradients of any width.
  • Lua: Now Script.lua is run when savegame data is already loaded.
  • Lua: GetVAlign, SetVAlign, GetHAlign, SetHAlign for Text objects.
  • Game.MusicVolume, Game.AmbianceVolumeA, Game.AmbianceVolumeB control music and ambiance volumes.
  • Game.AmbiFadeSpeedA, Game.AmbiFadeSpeedB control ambiance fade speed.
  • Faster screens switching. Note about scripting: one of the tricks used is turning a horizontal line of objects into one long object (e.g. this is done with sign areas). You may want to disable this in some case, to do so set "CombineObjects = false" in your script.
  • Screens are always rendered in 1 step and objects are exported for Lua scripts ("NeedObjects" is ignored). "ShiftsDelay" variable controls the delay before shifts start working when you move to a new screen. "NoLoadScreenDelay" now only effects ShiftsDelay, reducing its default value from 1 to 0.
  • Bug fixed: If you go to a screen with different ambiance and then quickly go back the ambiance doesn't restart now.
  • Bug fixed: The music didn't stop when a fatal error message is shown.
  • My bug fixed: Some decorative objects (dust, leafs) behaved incorrectly with "NoLoadScreenDelay = true".
  • Now map is only recorded when it is enabled or "RecordMap = true".
Editor:
  • Adjacent screens previews.
  • When you edit text of a sign in World.ini editor you see a preview of how it will look in the game.
  • You can click on INI editor's margin near [x****y*****] to go to corresponding screen.
  • Music and Ambients play buttons are now toggled by click.
  • "Run Knytt Stories" menu item.
  • Layer 3 is selected by default (can be changed by setting "Default Layer" in Worlds\EditorSettings.temp).
  • Less flashy selection marks (set "Standard Markers=1" in Worlds\EditorSettings.temp to get back to default).
  • Exit/Reset warning.
  • Bigger World.ini editor window.
  • The editor selects the last edited level at start up.
  • Set options "ResolutionX" and "ResolutionY" in "Worlds\EditorSettings.temp" to make the editor switch to that resolution while you're working with it.
  • Almost no CPU usage when inactive.
  • Scrolling objects list with mouse wheel.
  • Support for gradients of any width.
  • Bug fixed: When clicking the tile under the objects list, the list was scrolled.
  • Bug fixed: Hiding layers in an empty screen caused the contents of the last visited non-empty screen to be pasted.
  • Bug fixed: Level -> Script menu item didn't work sometimes.

As usual, the example level is updated too.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Version v1.5 - mod for KS & Level Editor
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2012, 15:11:47 »
I will download this soon ;). I'm using this mod to play levels.

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2012, 19:48:01 »
Wow, good job on this! I'm planning to use this too when I get better at making custom levels. Too bad I can't take advantage of lua scripting. :(

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2012, 03:47:02 »
 Flawless! I'm honored you used the picture I made in the demo level, and then demonstrated how to move an image in a makeshift cutscene in the script. That's going to be very useful for me when I can figure out how you did it.

Native resolution is crystal clear, and was such a good idea. And the biggest help is that resolution-changer for the editor. Sprite based projects always did needed some kind of a zoom for the building process.

Question: ScreenScrollDetectionDelta. I can't find a solid definition on what that is.

I suppose the only thing you need to add now if you're still interested in doing more, is a way to help all of us laymen figure out all the basic scripting in this game so we can more fully appreciate what you've done here. Maybe add some heavier notation to your scripts to break things down more. (Took me a day to be sure of what hotspotX and Y were used for, hahaha.)

No pressure. You've done one hell of a lot already.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2012, 10:11:01 »
I'm glad you liked it :)

Question: ScreenScrollDetectionDelta. I can't find a solid definition on what that is.
KS didn't move you to a new screen when you're at x=600 or y=240, that is one pixel outside of the playing frame. I've fixed this, but than discovered that in Gaia this changed gameplay in one place a bit. There was layer 3 grass on one screen and the Juni got stuck in a bit due to the change. Thus, this became an option.

I suppose the only thing you need to add now if you're still interested in doing more, is a way to help all of us laymen figure out all the basic scripting in this game so we can more fully appreciate what you've done here. Maybe add some heavier notation to your scripts to break things down more. (Took me a day to be sure of what hotspotX and Y were used for, hahaha.)
I can participate in scripting some levels.
Scripted bosses would be cool.

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2012, 15:33:55 »
 Speak of the devil, I'm almost up to a bossfight and would consider a scripting crash-course to be highly helpful. Better hurry up and plan it out, though.

I also think I found a bug...

If you try to flood-fill a single tile (Shift+click) in the editor, you cannot use tiles from tileset B. It will use the identical selected position from tileset A and flood fill that tile instead.

Also, when selecting multiple tiles to stamp, then shift+clicking that range of tiles for a flood fill, the top left tile is always from tileset A.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2012, 17:14:00 »
Version 1.5.1
Also check out my speed-run of The Machine with a ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ps0O6iuGM
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 14:44:20 by GrayFace »