Is there a good source for tilesets?

• 2 Replies

Offline Odal

• View Profile
Is there a good source for tilesets?
« on: October 28, 2010, 22:26:55 »
Hey, I've been playing Knytt Stories on and off for the last few years, but never posted.  I thought I'd try my hand at level making and contribute something to the community.  I have some concerns though.

I'm mainly trying to do a more natural-esque level.  I want to really get this feel of immersion and the clean-cut tilesets really kill that.  What I mean is, for example, the tiles outlined with a black line doesn't work for me.  And then a lot of the tiles all have the diagonal line thing going on.  It's just not what I'm looking for.  

Another thing I'm being particular about, is I'd also prefer the tilesets to have 45 degree angles and many of them don't.  If I want to make a hill, at least I'm not just working with 90s and every hill being a plateau.

So is there some secret hidden place where I'm able to find tilesets people have made?  I've tried google and only got the link to the ones on this site that already came with the KS editor...

Thanks

Edit - I found the link in a few threads down that had about 156 tilesets in it.  I like a lot of what I see but a lot of good tilesets don't have 45s.  There's a lot of them where I like part of it, but I can't mix and match them apparently without permission.  I feel so constrained by these things.  I could make the 45s on the ones I like.  The problem is I need to get permission to edit it, and it seems really silly that I have to go through all that just to make such a minor adjustment.  Grr... I might as well just start working on my own tilesets, I guess, or live with what is already made.

I guess the only question that remains: is there somewhere I haven't found yet with more tilesets?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 23:45:27 by Odal »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Is there a good source for tilesets?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 01:47:34 »
This is probably the link you're referring too. It doesn't hurt to repost it since this question comes up so often.
Fear not! I harvested these from the old forum:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zodmyogmkej

I think it's safe to assume that the original authors still don't mind people using them.

The best place around here to find tilesets is the Development Showcase thread. Many people post their public tilesets there. This thread in particular contains a ton.

Edit: I've asked a lot of people for permission to use/modify tilesets. The authors who responded were all very nice to me. When an author doesn't respond, a lot of them have disappeared, the policy on getting permission allows some leniency.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:58:05 by egomassive »

Offline Odal

• View Profile
Re: Is there a good source for tilesets?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:33:28 »
Ooo, thank you.  I didn't realize that part of the forum was there.  I guess it's not Knytt specific, so I didn't think to look there.

I think I need to rephrase what I meant too, because when rereading it, I think I appear to be more frustrated than I am.  I like Nifflas' tilesets but what I meant to say was that for the beginning area in this level, I wanted a different feel.  I'll probably still end up using a lot of his tilesets, since I plan on making this a large level with a lot of room for different tilesets.  I just hope 255 tileset limit is enough.  (It should be considering 2 tilesets per screen is almost endless possibilities)

Anyways, thanks again!