[Tileset] Nightmare (Updated 10-28)

• 10 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
[Tileset] Nightmare (Updated 10-28)
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:01:46 »
So. I've really gotten into the creepiness of Halloween this year with the help of Avenged Sevenfold's new Nightmare album. I was thinking about making a level like that. So I decided to make a tileset! :D
I know I don't have too much yet, but I want some inspiration and words of encouragement. How do the stains on the wall look? Compare them to the walls at 1:18 in the video linked to below.

This video is what I want to base it off of. (WARNING: Very bloody, very scary, and strong language. Viewer discretion is advised and all that shiz.) It's a creepy mental asylum or a hospital. Blood all over the place, crazy people all around the place, and Juni trying to escape it.

So...uhh...constructive criticism appreciated, but not too harsh. I don't want to abandon this project. D: I at least want to finish this tileset.

Edit: Updated as of 10-28. I finally made ground and stairs, and I even fooled around with it in the Editor. Stairs don't work properly (gets stuck going up, falls down them) but I'm getting there. I also made the ground and walls generally grungier and the stains lighter so they don't stand out 'cause I don't want people to be able to point out how many times I use a certain tile, but I want to break up the monotony at the same time, know what I mean? I also fixed the transparency. Apparently, it can't actually be transparent for KS to recognize it as transparent. Damn, it's been a long time.

Anyway, about the stains...I might lessen the grunginess of the walls. Seems a bit too much. Or maybe just darken the stains back as they were?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:04:34 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Re: [Tileset] Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:29:13 »
So. I've really gotten into the creepiness of Halloween this year with the help of Avenged Sevenfold's new Nightmare album. I was thinking about making a level like that. So I decided to make a tileset! :D
Spoiler: What I got so far... (click to show/hide)
I know I don't have too much yet, but I want some inspiration and words of encouragement. How do the stains on the wall look? Compare them to the walls at 1:18 in the video linked to below.

This video is what I want to base it off of. (WARNING: Very bloody, very scary, and strong language. Viewer discretion is advised and all that shiz.) It's a creepy mental asylum or a hospital. Blood all over the place, crazy people all around the place, and Juni trying to escape it.

So...uhh...constructive criticism appreciated, but not too harsh. I don't want to abandon this project. D: I at least want to finish this tileset.

Hey, looking good!

Just something...
Do you really think that video is any of the things mentioned? meh, a bit of blood, and a few people staring at a guy. If it wern't for all the swearing, that would be probably be classed as 12+ in Australia
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: [Tileset] Nightmare
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 16:12:22 »
Hey, looking good!
I just thought of something: shouldn't the stains be darker than the wall? Which probably means that it's peeling paint rather than stains. Bah, I'll keep the stains and just add in the peeling paint.

Just something...
Do you really think that video is any of the things mentioned? meh, a bit of blood, and a few people staring at a guy. If it wern't for all the swearing, that would be probably be classed as 12+ in Australia
Well, Eversion has pretty much the same thing (blood, creepiness, WTF moments) and it has a warning at the beginning of the game and it doesn't even have swearing. ;) But yeah, I guess it isn't that bad. Eh. Oh well.

Anyway, so, on my to-do list...
  • Make the stains darker.
  • Add peeled paint to more walls.
  • Make the ground.
  • Add decorative objects, like the gurney and maybe The Rev's drums.
  • Kick ass and chew bubble gum.
Edit: Stains made darker, peeled paint...eh, didn't think it was too important (and you can be more creative with stains :D), and I even added a hallway. That drawing class I took did come in handy. Yay, perspective! :nuts: I also raised the lighter half to make it take up a full tile so the tops and bottoms can be more easily mixed and matched.
You can see the new picture in the first post. Yay, saving bandwidth!
Edit 2: Crap, the transparency got in the way of the light. Well, below the dark hallway tiles are two pairs of tiles you can place over the hallway tiles to put lights in there. The one that's on, however, is nearly invisible on the background. I assure you that the transparency (255,0,255) is a separate color from the light itself (255,255,255-ish). And I'm editing this in GraphicsGale, which I know will not break the transparency. ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:52:48 by Pumpkinbot »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: [Tileset] Nightmare (Updated 10-25)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:23:52 »
I'll through out some ideas.

I've been messing around with egomassive's Dr. Wood's Lab for the Round Robbin which has a lot of interesting 45 degree angle stuff.  You might develop some stuff like that so the halls aren't simply straight, but twist up and down in odd ways.  Stair ways would be good too, and the chain link from the video... very silent hill-esc.

On the video, I thought it did have a few freaky moments, but a lot of trying to hard too.  The little girls just made me mad rather than being freaky. 

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 23:38:19 »
I'll throw out some ideas.
Fixed.

I've been messing around with egomassive's Dr. Wood's Lab for the Round Robbin which has a lot of interesting 45 degree angle stuff.  You might develop some stuff like that so the halls aren't simply straight, but twist up and down in odd ways.  Stair ways would be good too, and the chain link from the video... very silent hill-esc.
You mean make it like a sort of drug induced hallucination? Mmm, I was thinking more of a Portal-esque experience.
Spoiler: Portal spoilers! (click to show/hide)

On the video, I thought it did have a few freaky moments, but a lot of trying to hard too.  The little girls just made me mad rather than being freaky. 
:| I didn't ask for critiques on the video. (But I do kind of agree, like a when he first says, "Now your nightmare comes to life.")

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:19:36 »
The floors in the corridors should be different from the walls, unless they're painted. Doors with little windows in them and padded walls would be good additions. Great wall stains by the way.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:27:07 »
Bloxmaster made a insane asylum tileset for me to use in Doden Vantar.  Why not pull some inspiration from it?  It was done very nicely.  Check it out in my level Lament if you haven't already and such.
Teeeheee

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:00:50 »
The floors in the corridors should be different from the walls, unless they're painted.
Mmm...Yeah, I was thinking about that. What color should I make it?

Quote from: egomassive
Doors with little windows in them and padded walls would be good additions.
Walls with windows? *ponders while stroking invisible beard*

Quote from: egomassive
Great wall stains by the way.
Thanks. :D

Quote from: EarthBound015
Bloxmaster made a insane asylum tileset for me to use in Doden Vantar.  Why not pull some inspiration from it?  It was done very nicely.  Check it out in my level Lament if you haven't already and such.
I might do both of those things.  C)p

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Tileset] Nightmare (Updated 10-28)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 01:50:33 »
... Stairs don't work properly (gets stuck going up, falls down them) but I'm getting there. ...

It's better to put the stairs on layer 2 and use the invisible slopes, bank 16 objects 15 and 16. Juni will move smoothly and you can draw proportionally appropriate stairs.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 03:07:14 »
Ok, if you make holes, stairs, etc. that should break up the linearity I was afraid you would end up with.  But I wasn't necessarily thinking so distorted that it looks drug induced, just odd, or perhaps even that there are ramps everywhere for gurneys to get up to higher/lower levels.  Actually if you download the latest update in the Round Robin Collaboration project, the lab at the far left uses a lot of angles and such to make the corridors less linear... like this:

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 05:13:16 »
It's better to put the stairs on layer 2 and use the invisible slopes, bank 16 objects 15 and 16. Juni will move smoothly and you can draw proportionally appropriate stairs.
That's a good idea. :P

Ok, if you make holes, stairs, etc. that should break up the linearity I was afraid you would end up with.  But I wasn't necessarily thinking so distorted that it looks drug induced, just odd, or perhaps even that there are ramps everywhere for gurneys to get up to higher/lower levels.  Actually if you download the latest update in the Round Robin Collaboration project, the lab at the far left uses a lot of angles and such to make the corridors less linear... like this...
Hmm...Well, this is going to be in an actual building, see, so I dunno how that would work. I was actually thinking of having three floors shown at once, but I don't want it to end up feeling like some old Atari game. x) I may end up doing something like that, though, but then again, maybe it won't be a mental institution...*ponders*