Ambient 8bit music

• 6 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Ambient 8bit music
« on: October 15, 2010, 22:33:55 »
I've spent countless hours trying to soundtrack my latest level. Here's the preview thread. The level is mechanical, lonely, and mostly dark. I can't get past the idea of 8bit ambient music, but I can't find any that will work. The main problem I have is that so many of the good ones top out at 3 minutes. The sections of my level would do better with 5-6 minute songs. This song I like at the beginning but it gets obnoxious at the end.

So, far I've looked at ccmixter.org, 8bc.org, and chipmusic.org. If anyone knows a good site or a good track, I'd appreciate the help.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
Re: Ambient 8bit music
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 05:11:04 »
I may or may not be able to create something similar to what you're looking for.  I do know how to use Famitracker, which, from the sounds of it, should be more than capable of what you're interested in.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:15:06 »
I had a look, but I also had a lot of difficulty finding appropriate songs. You could contact PlaidShirts&BigSmiles and see if they'd like to make you a soundtrack (that's more appropriate)? Or, of course, take Ultigonio up on his generous offer.

Other suggestions:

Brother Android : I've only listened to the Hero Core OST, and I'm afraid dialup is preventing me from checking out the other releases. I have high hopes, though.
Goto80 - Bortabra : There's 55 minutes of music here that I imagine you could cut something good out of. Drunkenambient seems promising.
Bubblyfish - Translucent : An individual song, not hugely ambient, though.
Søren Lund (Jeff) - Cyberworld : Some of this guy's other songs might be good too, he made the music I used in the blue area of My Super Secret Basement and was happy to give permission.
Disasterpeace - Level : Six and Eight for example, start off well, but as the songs progress they may depart too much from ambiance for your tastes.
II - Sea of Ice : You might find something appropriate here, but like before, the ambiance often serves as a buildup to something more song-like.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 13:31:19 »
Newgrounds.com or deviantart.com has some unique stuff, but it might take a while to find what you want.

Uhg, yeah, that is obnoxious.  I was all into it and it start random static screams at me.  Geeze...

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 20:18:29 »
Brother Android does a very good job with musical imagery. If he were to describe my level it would be lovely, but so far he hasn't. I checked out the rest of the suggestions. Many good pieces or starts of pieces, but not enough to fill the game.

I forgot about Newgrounds. I've been there before, while working on my masterpiece, but found it very hard to find what I was looking for. I was looking for something very different then, so I may have better results for this. I'm skeptical of Deviantart's music selection, but I'll look. Maybe I'll get lucky.

@ Ultigonio: I, for some reason, thought it would be easy to track this level. I originally intended this to be something I threw together in a few days. Not the kind of thing I would ask someone else to compose music for. I have trouble underachieving though, so it will probably be pretty good in the end. If you still want to make the tracks, I can send you the level. Enough of it is done that you can get a feel for each area.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 23:14:31 »
I'm still pretty interested in tracking for this level, so sure, that'd be cool if you sent it over.  Honestly, though tracking something that long is no simple task, it's probably a lot less stressful by comparison to some of the other stuff I've been trying to work on.  It'll be a break, almost.  Besides, I find I'm much more efficient at music and ambiance than other things, anyway. 
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 18:59:28 »
Problem solved. Ultigonio is making the music and it sounds great so far. Thanks for all the helpful replies.