Everything is so perfect!

• 8 Replies

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Everything is so perfect!
« on: October 10, 2010, 19:55:40 »
I've just finished (yet) another playthrough of Saira and I wanted to mention how much I enjoyed every part of it, even after playing so many times over.

It seems that there's been little activity here for some time except for moaning which is a real shame. There's not a single thing about the game I'd want any differently; the movement is beautifully fluid and immersive, the platforming is just tricky enough to keep it rewarding and the puzzles need a good bit of thought and are amazingly inventive. On top of the gameplay it's all wrapped in gorgeous graphics and a gently melancholy story that's really touching.

I know I'm not the only person who was unreservedly thrilled and I think it's a shame we're not as vocal as people with complaints.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Everything is so perfect!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 00:01:58 »
I really appreciate that you like the game and that you're letting me know here! Of course I understand that plenty of people do, I've read many positive reviews and heard nice things about it. Now, I know from myself at for example the Clickteam boards, that I tend to focus on negative stuff. I'm right now holding a course in game development for the university and learnt a lot about how beginners percieve Multimedia Fusion 2, and what could be improved to make it more beginner friendly. Of course I point out this big list of changes I suggest, which I suppose can make it look like I only think negatively of the program. However, in six hours the people taking the course knew enough to design a simple game, which means that MMF2 worked incredibly well and there were tons of awesome things I could have said about it.

So even I work that way, I tend to focus more on what went wrong than what went right, so of course it's going to be common on a forum like this that you see complaints. With Saira, it's not unexpected really. It's a difficult game that requires the players to both appreciate platforming (even timed sections) and tricky puzzle solving. There were also many expectations based on my previous games, and Saira didn't move like you do in e.g. a Knytt game. The same thing happened in Knytt though, a lot of people who really liked WaDF was put off by how easy it is and how it didn't have the same kind of challenges. However, I tend to get criticism on the forum while I get the more positive feedback through my website's "contact me" form, I'm not exactly sure how that works.

Directly after the release, I was worn out and only saw the negative opinions, despite that even a lot of people back then said they really liked Saira (and I've heard a lot more positive stuff since then). The sales have been satisfying (in particular after the game got up on Steam), so now I know that things went really well! It makes me happy that you and many other people enjoyed the game, as I really put my heart into making it (and I'm sure Yann did too with his music skills), so thanks for letting me know! It means a lot!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 00:05:25 by Nifflas »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:24:33 »
I consider each game I play in two ways: critically (everything that could be improved) and by feeling (the amount of enjoyment and satisfaction I felt playing the game).

Of course, critically, I'll be looking for possible improvements that could be made to a game, even Saira, not just for the sake of the game developer, but also for my own knowledge of what I like and what I think would work well in a game, as I myself have considered delving into game design very soon.

I usually go for a mix of praise and criticism, but if I were to take out any criticisms I had for Saira, I would say that it is indeed, an absolutely fantastic, feel-good game with wonderful platforming.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 11:29:39 »
Thought I'd say I feel the same. :)
To be entirely honest, the puzzles take away some of the replay value..
And that's the only critique I have.
Everything else is lovely. Any screenshot at any given time seems as if could be framed.
Movement is fluid and realistic.
Music is perfect and excellently ambient.
Storyboard and cutscenes are beautiful and really tell a wonderful story.

I think there should be a bonus to view the intro/endings like in wadf. :)

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 21:27:30 »
I made a review when it first came out...
Just wanted to shout that I *still* love this game, the music, the plot, the setting, the puzzles~ :D
My hats off to you~  Easy 5 stars.

I always thought it was too short, mainly because I antipated more chapters... although after reading about the length of work involved.. it is perfectly understandable :D

...This should be in the next humble indie bundle and make several million :P :) [although it would have to support mac and linux too?]
Then you can announce new chapters :D

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 22:49:57 »
I just finished playing Saira, and I must say that to me it's without doubt one of the best games ever  :D It's got so much atmosphere and sweet gameplay, and puzzles that actually are a bit tricky (if only the zelda puzzles were that good...). Though I loved all of it, i must say that the thing that really went to my heart was listening to the space radio while travelling between solar systems. It added so incredibly much to the feeling of really being a space explorer! C)

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 22:58:58 »
I may had that yesterday I left the game open in the background just to listen to the radio while I worked. x)

Offline pnptcn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 05:56:05 »
Just wanted to say that this is a beautiful game, and I love everything about it. Saira is a wonderful protagonist, the environments are gorgeous, the music and ambient audio a fantastic complement to the incredible settings and the game play is a refreshing challenge. I admit that at first I was a bit discouraged by the challenge, but with some perseverance I'm overcoming the obstacles one at a time and enjoying the game all the more because of it. I go from "man WHAT?!" to "haha, how clever!" Also, I admit that I cannot handle keyboard controls in a precision platform game, but that's also why I have Xpadder and a controller.

Anyway, I'll end this before I get into some kind of long winded ramble, I just wanted to add my voice to the rest.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:29:50 »
This game isn't really perfect but very close to it though.
What would of made it perfect is a second difficulty with more difficult puzzles and obstacles :)