WADF2 makes me feel... Depressed...?

• 6 Replies
WADF2 makes me feel... Depressed...?
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:49:39 »
I'm new here... I only joined this forum to ask a couple of questions and see if I can get some answers. I doubt I'll really do much here, but there are some things I wanted to ask about some of the games Nifflas made because they're some of the best stuff I've ever played! Especially Within a Deep Forest!

That's why I want to know why WaDF2 beta is making me feel so depressed. It's the polar opposite of what I've felt in the original, and I wonder what's going on! I mean, I noticed a couple of things...

-Compare :a1: to :w1:. Doesn't the ball look kind of... depressed this time? Last time, it was either smiling or looking curious. Now it looks like it's frowning with eyes half-open... Was that intentional? Did something happen to it? Or am I wrong and it's not supposed to be depressed?
-All the levels are either urban areas, dreary plains, or mechanical facilities... That doesn't feel right to me somehow. These places are either mechanical or dead... Barely anything's natural! :sad: Was that also intentional, or were forests just not made before the game was abandoned?

Maybe it's also the lack of music and sounds that's making me feel sad when I play this game? Maybe it's just the beta being too empty cause it's a beta? I don't know, but I'm really not sure that's why I felt the way I did after playing it... I wonder if this is why Nifflas abandoned it. Cause this game wasn't making him and other players feel good?  :huh:

Could someone please give me clarification on my thoughts and feelings I just mentioned about the game? I'd really appreciate it!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: WADF2 makes me feel... Depressed...?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:51:46 »
Its not you. Nifflas wanted to bring this feeling to the game, but because many things are missing, it feels more lonely and depressing that the final product would've been.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 20:49:18 »
Hmmm... So it's just the game being a beta that's far from finished forever is all? Well, that's kind of reassuring in a way if that's the case. Still a little confused about the ball's look though. Or did you mean something else when you mentioned this "feeling"? Sorry for my lack of understanding.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 22:28:43 »
Nifflas wanted to get a certain feeling with this game, but he abandoned the idea all together. Perhaps it depressed him as much as it does you.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:41:57 »
Ahhhh, okay. I think I understand completely now.

If that's the case, then I'm actually kind of glad he abandoned it. WaDF is one of my favorite games and I would've really hated to see a possible sequel drastically fail to live up to both Nifflas' and the players' expectations, including mine, and ultimately harm the series altogether. At least we've got KnyttWaDF in the future! So that's all good! :^^:

Thanks so much for answering me, and sorry again about asking for clarification on what was probably the obvious.  :oops:

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 07:28:06 »
I would've really hated to see a possible sequel drastically fail to live up to both Nifflas' and the players' expectations, including mine, and ultimately harm the series altogether.
I don't want to get too off-topic here, but you seem to be under the impression that it's bad for a game to invoke sadness in the player. I understand if that's not your cup of tea, but I think there are a lot of people who enjoy feeling such emotions to an extent.
But there is a difference between sadness and depression, and I might be completely misinterpreting you, so I'll go to sleep now.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:24:43 »
You could try listening to some of the beta wadf2 music while playing.. :)