Think the community's state is /worth discussing/?

• 188 Replies

Offline Whistler

• The hero of the Knytt people, Juni!
    • View Profile
Re: The community is dead :(
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 21:03:51 »
^ Second that. (I'm still making KS levels)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 13:09:17 »
I think it's partly because there are so many Knytt Stories levels out there that new levels come less often. Who want's to make a level that gets lost in a sea of levels? To make a level that will rise to the top takes more time/effort/dedication/etc. Yes, that means less new levels are finished, but it should also mean the average quality is higher than it was. I know I'm commenting mostly towards KS when I say this, but the community isn't dying in my opinion. It's maturing.

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 02:44:13 »
lol it think its funny that it keeps on going back to ks.

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 12:38:01 »
lol it think its funny that it keeps on going back to ks.

It's always about KS. Seriously, KS is getting old, Nifflas has other games now. No offense to anyone who likes it, it is still awesome. But maybe if you look at other boards than KS, you'll see that the community is not dead.

(I wish I could grow a beard)

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 19:15:14 »
Nifflas has other games now? He had other games before too! Come on you guys, let's talk about Pteranodon!

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 20:12:45 »
I just saw this thread (yes, the forum has slowed down so much that I no longer read it every day!) and want to add my thoughts:  I agree with the person above who said that part of the problem is KS levels being lost in a sea of levels (yes, I'm talking about "the community" being in large part the activity generated by people making and playing KS levels).  No offense to the many people who have made levels, but let's be honest that too many people made rushed and careless levels and these made things quite cluttered.  I always felt like I had no way of knowing what good levels people might be making because I didn't want to spend the time searching through a vast sea of weak levels in order to find the good ones--so for all I knew there were still good ones coming out but I couldn't find them, and I just gave up. 

I was really looking forward to Knyttlevels.com being updated with a rating system so that finally there would be a system for the quality levels to rise above the careless levels, and I thought there might be a resurgence of KS activity as a result, because seeing other people's good levels that might have been overlooked before might also inspire people to make more levels of that quality.  Alas, there hasn't been much word when Knyttlevels.com will be ready, if ever, and I worry that by the time it is ready it will be too late because the decline of activity will have caused people to move on.

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 21:20:16 »
You just made me facepalm...

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 21:49:43 »
what why explain please...
o__  o

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 06:15:59 »
It isn't dead in my opinion but it is definitely dying.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 01:03:24 »
It isn't dead in my opinion but it is definitely dying.
:sad:

Offline Whistler

• The hero of the Knytt people, Juni!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 02:31:24 »
Its always been like this.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 21:13:54 »
What, I leave the forum for a bit half of a year and everybody thinks it's dead?  Did I really contribute that much?

Eh, like others have said, when it comes to forums for video games, a slower board generally has a better community.  When a new game comes out, you will see a spike in activity, but a decent amount of the newcomers will eventually lose interest, leaving behind a small number of devotees who share a lot of interests.  The only real problem I see with our tight-knytt community is that it constantly has to deal with groan-inducing puns that don't even work if you use the correct pronunciation of the title of the game.
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2010, 01:27:36 »
The only real problem I see with our tight-knytt community is that it constantly has to deal with groan-inducing puns that don't even work if you use the correct pronunciation of the title of the game.

OIC WAT U DID THAR

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 01:53:50 »
don't let that happen ever again
o__  o

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 21:43:39 »
When I first started coming here-which was with the release of KS-The forum was a bustle of activity. So yes, I do think it's declining. (Yeah, I was actually coming here years before I made an account)

On another note, is Nifflas currently working on anything? I haven't heard a word from him in ages...  O_o

If he isn't, I think he could start a new awesome project that somehow requires the community to get involved, like making art, music, programming etc...but Nifflas pwns at all of those anyway, so it wouldn't work...

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)