Think the community's state is /worth discussing/?

• 188 Replies

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: The community is dead :(
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 17:34:58 »
Other forums are usually afflicted with trolls, spammers and annoying people.

Now that I think about it, I'd have to agree with this. I'm a moderator on another forum that is far more active. However, we also have a lot more trolls, spammers, and idiots posting.

I think another possible reason for the more laid-back way this community is is the lack of an Off-Topic forum of some sort. The only people who stick around are the actual fans of the games, because to anyone else there's not much to see.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 22:47:23 »
I stick around for threads like this.
o__  o

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 23:20:30 »
It'll go up and down, people tend to come as I release a game that they really like. It varies with each game release, Saira for example was a success, but most of the purchases was through Steam and most of those players didn't really tend to visit the forums much it seems. I think it'll simply continue to go up and down. There'll be extremely active periods, and there'll be silent periods, much as a direct result of what I'm currently doing with my games. I just know it works like that way, just like that I know that every game I create will be hated and loved by some, and that the popularity will go up and down. Old players will lose interest, and new players will gain it. When the community is dead, it's temporary. When the community is very active, that's temporary too. I accept this, and it's better if I just keep developing whatever I for the moment feel like, that's how my best games were made.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 23:29:43 by Nifflas »

Offline Whistler

• The hero of the Knytt people, Juni!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 23:37:30 »
I am a long time fan of Knytt and KS, and I feel that those games gave me some of the best experiences I have had with video games. Now, a week ago I have discovered the great fun one can also have making ones own levels. I am sure there are other newcomers, who discover the games and/or the editor at this time, so long after the initial releases, and have fun doing so. I think there are definitely a demand for SIMPLE game editors, and KS editor may be one of the simplest and easiest ones around.
If one should mention a problem, it is maybe that the editor is so firmly linked to almost exclusively making levels that in some way expand the original story and puzzles. It would be fantastic to have a new version of the editor, that made wider customizations possible (easy!), so one could make not only Knytt Story Levels but all kinds of new games build on the same basic idea that made Knytt and KS so great.

An editor that creates new games that look somewhat like Knytt and Knytt Stories? That's called Multimedia Fusion 2. Nifflas used it to make his games

But is MMF2 Free? And I've used it, and it was confusing, not like KS Editer

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 00:16:53 »
I am a long time fan of Knytt and KS, and I feel that those games gave me some of the best experiences I have had with video games. Now, a week ago I have discovered the great fun one can also have making ones own levels. I am sure there are other newcomers, who discover the games and/or the editor at this time, so long after the initial releases, and have fun doing so. I think there are definitely a demand for SIMPLE game editors, and KS editor may be one of the simplest and easiest ones around.
If one should mention a problem, it is maybe that the editor is so firmly linked to almost exclusively making levels that in some way expand the original story and puzzles. It would be fantastic to have a new version of the editor, that made wider customizations possible (easy!), so one could make not only Knytt Story Levels but all kinds of new games build on the same basic idea that made Knytt and KS so great.

An editor that creates new games that look somewhat like Knytt and Knytt Stories? That's called Multimedia Fusion 2. Nifflas used it to make his games

I believe that he meant MORE customization such as changeable character, more than 2 tilesets, more layers custom objects that can be scripted etc.

That is basicly what saira has, but it is much more time consuming, due to the higher standard of graphics.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 02:15:11 »
Anyway, this isn't helping me right now. I need to focus on what I need to focus on. If my inspiration is currently elsewhere and I don't right now want to create a new KS-like game with a full featured editor, there's no way I'm going to be able to do it in a successful way. I'm interested in expressing something through the games, not to create a perfect market oriented game/editor combo that'll result in good sales. I sort of try to make game development be what it was before the success of Knytt Stories, back when people didn't have much expections. In the end, that'll result in games that are more personal to me. I see everything in a long perspective, there'll be ups and downs, some releases will be popular while other games won't be. Even the community will get smaller and larger. I'm not keeping track of wether it right now is getting smaller or bigger, but I'm not bothered about it. If I were, the pressure would force me to create something I don't want to.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:32:12 by Nifflas »

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• The number you have dialed is no longer in service
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 11:41:30 »
Anyway, this isn't helping me right now. I need to focus on what I need to focus on. If my inspiration is currently elsewhere and I don't right now want to create a new KS-like game with a full featured editor, there's no way I'm going to be able to do it in a successful way. I'm interested in expressing something through the games, not to create a perfect market oriented game/editor combo that'll result in good sales. I sort of try to make game development be what it was before the success of Knytt Stories, back when people didn't have much expections. In the end, that'll result in games that are more personal to me. I see everything in a long perspective, there'll be ups and downs, some releases will be popular while other games won't be. Even the community will get smaller and larger. I'm not keeping track of wether it right now is getting smaller or bigger, but I'm not bothered about it. If I were, the pressure would force me to create something I don't want to.

The gaming industry needs more people like you!

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 06:26:33 »
If there were too many nifflas the world would be full of philosophical, awesomely creative people with Swedish accents and awesome beards..
(no sarcasm intended)
I'll always be here :D
Nifflas is the only bearded man for me

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 11:56:36 »
people with Swedish accents and awesome beards..

Why are all awesome people in this world are Swedish? :O
Notch (the creator of Minecraft, that is), Nifflas, C418, Badgerpig, that "Gabe Newell" guy on my Steam friend list... Everyone are Swedish! And possibly have beards!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 13:27:06 »
I need to grow a beard and move to Sweden so I can become awesome :P
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 13:58:06 »
so because I can't have a beard I have no way of becoming awesome at all? =(
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 18:05:23 »
Nope, sorry :P

Unless you're a female, in that case, you still can become awesome by moving to Sweden and making an indie game without having to grow a beard

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 23:13:52 »
Nope, sorry :P

Unless you're a female, in that case, you still can become awesome by moving to Sweden and making an indie game without having to grow a beard

Which parts of Miss or Paula do not appear female to you? :o

Just to set the record straight, yes she is a female.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2010, 14:42:37 »
The community is almost close to true death. People might be inactive because they are busy making KS Levels. I for one, don't want the true death of the forum to happen. I think we just need to release more KS Levels or maybe that's just me.

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 20:20:52 »
^ Whatever that guy said.