Think the community's state is /worth discussing/?

• 188 Replies

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• The number you have dialed is no longer in service
    • View Profile
Think the community's state is /worth discussing/?
« on: September 21, 2010, 16:28:17 »
Anyone else has the feeling that this great community is dead (or at least - near death)?

[mod]edited topic title to sound less negative/more open to a discussion in various directions ;)[/mod]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 15:15:08 by Miss Paula »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: The community is dead :(
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 17:10:31 »
Nah. The state of the commucity is quite like this for some time now.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 17:58:05 »
It's not so much dead as slowly declining. The phrase "running on fumes" comes to mind. :/

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 19:41:16 »
The phrase "on life support and being tube-fed" also comes to mind.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 21:57:44 »
May I remind, that the community is as strong as each member. If you feel like its possible to make this community better, I wouldn't mind hearing feedback.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 22:23:16 »
I haven't noticed a decline in activity, but there was never that much activity in the first place to my knowledge.

Offline Whistler

• The hero of the Knytt people, Juni!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 22:30:19 »
I personally don't think its "dead", but it isn't really busy either. I don't think its dead because I come here a lot.

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 23:39:21 »
I haven't noticed a decline in activity, but there was never that much activity in the first place to my knowledge.
When i first joined the community (and that was 3 years ago), there were at least 2 new Knytt Stories levels every day.

Oh, and LPChip, there is not much you can do. It's simply that the game is quite old. Many great community members left and never came back, and the game never updates.

Offline Whistler

• The hero of the Knytt people, Juni!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 23:47:03 »
I just realized how old KS is. Wow.

Offline troels

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 00:48:29 »
I am a long time fan of Knytt and KS, and I feel that those games gave me some of the best experiences I have had with video games. Now, a week ago I have discovered the great fun one can also have making ones own levels. I am sure there are other newcomers, who discover the games and/or the editor at this time, so long after the initial releases, and have fun doing so. I think there are definitely a demand for SIMPLE game editors, and KS editor may be one of the simplest and easiest ones around.
If one should mention a problem, it is maybe that the editor is so firmly linked to almost exclusively making levels that in some way expand the original story and puzzles. It would be fantastic to have a new version of the editor, that made wider customizations possible (easy!), so one could make not only Knytt Story Levels but all kinds of new games build on the same basic idea that made Knytt and KS so great.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 05:24:25 »
This is perfectly normal Nifforum activity level. It's always been a relatively quiet forum. When you joined, YeIIowDucK, was probably right after KS was released when we had the massive influx of new members. That was not normal for this forum. A lot of people may leave, but the truly hardcore fans will stick around.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 06:32:52 »
I think since we are more mature and have an older average age, we don't have as many people who spend hours upon hours a day here, however I don't know of a 'non-dedicated' niff fan..
When I joined, however, the forum was slightly more active.. But only in Level previews, which I rarely check, so my observations may not be too accurate..
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:40:53 by Dj Gopher »

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 06:54:39 »
Hmm, it's hard to judge...
I am member almost a year, and I think that this "slowing down" isn't serious...
Almost every day, you can fond here some new things, you can read, well, it is good for me...
I like it here and it is the single forum, where I am seriously registered and posting...

GO, NIFFLAS FORUM!!!  :barn: :juni:
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 10:34:39 »
I agree with ^

This is the only forum I enjoy!

Other forums are usually afflicted with trolls, spammers and annoying people.

Luckily the forum activity means that no spammers or trolls will even target this forum!

See it as a blessing in disguise!

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 16:02:54 »
I am a long time fan of Knytt and KS, and I feel that those games gave me some of the best experiences I have had with video games. Now, a week ago I have discovered the great fun one can also have making ones own levels. I am sure there are other newcomers, who discover the games and/or the editor at this time, so long after the initial releases, and have fun doing so. I think there are definitely a demand for SIMPLE game editors, and KS editor may be one of the simplest and easiest ones around.
If one should mention a problem, it is maybe that the editor is so firmly linked to almost exclusively making levels that in some way expand the original story and puzzles. It would be fantastic to have a new version of the editor, that made wider customizations possible (easy!), so one could make not only Knytt Story Levels but all kinds of new games build on the same basic idea that made Knytt and KS so great.

An editor that creates new games that look somewhat like Knytt and Knytt Stories? That's called Multimedia Fusion 2. Nifflas used it to make his games