Key trouble

• 8 Replies
Key trouble
« on: September 20, 2010, 17:47:16 »
I've been trying to play Knytt and FiNCK, but the S key stops working after one or two jumps. I've tried a reboot and a different keyboard to no avail.

All the other keys respond just fine. Any idea what the trouble might be?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Key trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 20:37:21 »
How many keys are you pressing at once? Are the keyboards usb or ps/2 keyboards?

I think you're experiencing Keyboard Ghosting.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 23:14:47 »
The keyboards I tried are both ps/2, and I'm just pressing one or two keys at a time. Anyhow, I feel kind of dumb because the problem seems to have resolved itself in the meantime. I've been playing for the last twenty minutes without any problems. I even restarted the game a few times to make sure. I still don't have any idea what happened there.. I keep my system pretty well in order, so I'm thinking it might've been one of those random Windows XP things that occur for no particular reason.. maybe a hotkey conflict or something.

Thanks for the quick response  :)

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 04:10:46 »
Ah well. Now it's happening again with Knytt Stories. I probably should've expected that.

Stupid S key. I assume there's no way to reassign them?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:42:32 »
Ps/2 keyboards only have a limit of 2 or 3 keys at the same time. This sounds like a stuck key or something.

You could try an usb keyboard and see if that solves your problem (I expect it to solve it)

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:10:41 »
The keyboard may be involved somehow, but this would be the first time I've run into any problems with it. I've played dozens of games with this one.. flash games, pc games, emulators.. you name it, and there's never been any trouble before. Anyway, I'll try a usb when I can get my hands on one.

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 09:41:18 »
Your computer should have an 'On-Screen Keyboard' somewhere. See if the S button on that works after the physical keyboard one dies out. :)
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 02:07:18 »
I just gave the ms on-screen keyboard a shot and it won't talk to the game at all.  :(

I don't know what the deal is. But I'll borrow a friend's usb keyboard sometime this week and see if that doesn't have something to do with it. I think it's some kind of conflict on my system, because it let me play through the entirety of Knytt the other night without any problems.. but then it was back to the same old crap when I started up Knytt Stories. Bummer.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:26:51 »
One last thing that I can think of that could cause this, is that you have a virus or spyware on your computer in the form of a keylogger. This application could've crashed to allow you to have a normal evening of playtime.

Try scanning for such.

MODPlug Central Forum