The Story Continues - Preview

• 10 Replies

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
The Story Continues - Preview
« on: September 19, 2010, 21:56:19 »
-*-*-*-*-
No I have not abondoned WaCS, I just thought a completely new idea would intrigue me more than an older one.
-*-*-*-*-

Project Overview   
TSC (The Story Continues) is an infinite series of game episodes staring [young girl] on her journey through the land of [continent]. She will have many quests to fulfill given to her by the inhabitants of [continent].

The Story Continues is the culmination of an idea that I have worked on for some time. Each game will be released as a small (5 - 10 minute) episode either weekly or monthly staring a young girl exploring the various environments of her world and meeting colorful characters along the way.

The intriguing aspect of TSC is that it's completely community driven (except for the game's coding). Anyone can suggest plot pieces, submit art or music, or just all around assist me in setting up the game (website presentation, gameplay videos, etc.)

---

The art style for the game will be heavily inspired by Nifflas' games Knytt and Stories. The music and sfx will also have the ambient feeling that those games have as well.

But what separates TSC from Knytt and Knytt Stories is its gameplay and plotline. There will be times when each episode contains its own little story, and episodes that will span multiple games. Also, along the way, elements of the gameplay can be suggested. Be it the player has to escape into space (now the game is a shoot 'em up) then the player crashes into a remote forest and must find their way out (elements of survival games and a large maze).

I will be looking for a lot of help from anyone, be themselves a game developer to just a surfer of the vast internet, anyone and everyone can help make this world a reality.

-*-*-*-*-

Here are some pics:

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

"I wander to many places, but I quest to few."

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreepyThumb

I leave and come back, kinda like a ghost. Hmm...

Offline TheDarkOne

• Darkness...
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Account
Re: The Story Continues - Preview
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 23:19:57 »
Great idea! I would LOVE to help, BUT I can't code in GML or MMF.

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 00:25:21 »
If you read the entire thing you would know that I'm going to be doing most (if not all the coding). If you can help with tilesets or anything else just say so. :)

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 01:23:05 »
I'm happy to help with the coding. Just give me a shout if/when you need help :D

Sound like a great idea, may i suggest that you also establish a 'level system', or something, so that players do not need to download the executable each time, just a level for it
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 01:25:26 »
I'll ask for help with coding when the time comes. What I'm really in need of now are some tilesets and music.

I was thinking about that, though I don't know enough about creating an editor right now, so until then each game will be it's own executable.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:39:27 »
This is a tileset I made in 2007, feel free to use it if you want to.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:03:41 »
There are my newest, not used yet. If you want to, you can use it everywhere you want. If you donīt mind, the second is only a pattern...
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:35:52 »
Thanks sergio and g.c! That's what I like to see. I'll try to get an example of an episode (if not a full episode) up with the coming week.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 16:25:31 »
Here is the newest tileset, made especially (specially) for this game purposes.
It is named Gut d'Universe, because the pattern looks like "blue/purple gut".

There are:
ground 1, ground 2, bg tiles, stones, houses, flowers, flower trees and grass.

Below is whole tileset and example screen...

EDIT: The yellow square on the example screen is not a part of the tileset, but it is only a Knytt Stories Level Editor "pointer".
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 16:28:43 by green.cookie »
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 09:17:02 »
My coding in GML isn't solid or super quick, but I can certainly help with it and provide input and ideas and all that.
I'm also completely able to create some ambient music or just straight-out music for the game.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 03:42:30 »
@green.cookie Cool tileset. I'm remaking a part of the intro level because I don't really like it.

@Ultigonio: I think I've already stated that I'm going to do most if not all the programming. I'll be doing it in MMF anyways, so knowledge of GM wouldn't really help

Though I would really like you to create some sample songles and ambient tunes, because I'm really lacking that.

I'm also lacking sound effects such as walking, so if someone could help make a "pitter patter" style walking that would be great.