egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline Lit Knob

• Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
    • View Profile
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #1065 on: July 14, 2022, 09:24:16 »
My process doesn't work for all objects. Doesn't add labels either. When joined, our COs should cover basically everything, including all objects not supported by KS+ yet (but supported by the upcoming KS Ex version).
Oh, you are right. Sorry if I "panicked" like that. :oops: I misinterpreted your intentions.
However, I made these: https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=7331.0, and these: https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=7323.0 before I started making the implemented ones, and the former have labels too. What's the difference between them and yours?

Disks are tricky (except 6 and 9, which should be fine as they are). Their standing and walking animations are misaligned and thus need different offsets when facing left. Even a work-around with CO offset wouldn't work.
Ohh, so that's why. Thanks for clarifying. I couldn't notice that.
Wait, does Disk 2 also have this bug? I thought it worked fine like 6 and 9.
Also, does 17:2 have this issue as well?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 09:32:12 by Lit Knob »
"The flaw expert" -egomassive

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #1066 on: July 14, 2022, 11:57:56 »
Oh, you are right. Sorry if I "panicked" like that. :oops: I misinterpreted your intentions.
Sorry for scaring you :)

However, I made these: https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=7331.0, and these: https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=7323.0 before I started making the implemented ones, and the former have labels too. What's the difference between them and yours?
Oh, cool! The differences are
1) You handled transparency and "Add" effects.
2) I have objects that aren't supported by KS+ joined according to layout that KS Ex uses.
3) I only did objects from banks. Didn't do any liquid backgrounds. Did do those 16-directional flies that required knowing the layout.

Wait, does Disk 2 also have this bug? I thought it worked fine like 6 and 9.
Yes it does. It's 1 pixel off while going left and 2 pixels off while standing facing left.

Also, does 17:2 have this issue as well?
Nope, should be fine.

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 14, 2022, 13:34:51 »
Sorry for scaring you :)
No problem :)

Oh, cool! The differences are
1) You handled transparency and "Add" effects.
2) I have objects that aren't supported by KS+ joined according to layout that KS Ex uses.
3) I only did objects from banks. Didn't do any liquid backgrounds. Did do those 16-directional flies that required knowing the layout.
Thanks Gray, I'm flattered. :oops:
I can't believe you just discovered them. I thought their existence was "public knowledge" by now.
I spent so much time reconstructing transparency in the "Add objects", I literally grew a beard while doing that. :P
I left the original versions with the black background for you, Gray, because I knew Ex supports blend modes. :)

Yes it does. It's 1 pixel off while going left and 2 pixels off while standing facing left.
You are right, shockwaves don't match the antenna because of that. I didn't notice that before.

Nope, should be fine.
It does flip while standing though (but I had to wait 20 seconds to witness it. It's a vanilla issue, so the original also behaves like this). Does shifting the sprite sheet fix the custom one?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 13:59:05 by Lit Knob »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #1068 on: July 14, 2022, 14:42:52 »
I left the original versions with the black background for you, Gray, because I knew Ex supports blend modes. :)
Not on custom objects, unfortunately.

Nope, should be fine.
It does flip while standing though (but I had to wait 20 seconds to witness it. It's a vanilla issue, so the original also behaves like this). Does shifting the sprite sheet fix the custom one?
No, that would make it misaligned in both directions and there would still be a 1 pixel gap, but the other way around. When it flips it shifts by 1 pixel, right? It matching vanilla spider means it's correct to me.

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 14, 2022, 15:07:40 »
Not on custom objects, unfortunately.
Oh, I didn't know :(

When it flips it shifts by 1 pixel, right? It matching vanilla spider means it's correct to me.
No, I tested it again and it shifts exactly like Disks.
So I guess it can only be fixed in the source.

Well, looks like we're all set. :)
I updated bug reports with your findings.
Please let me know if you've found anything else, Gray (I already shifted 19:43 and 45 :P).

I'll list corrections of Ego's original templates and the more cosmetic mistakes (such as 3:32 and 4:10).
Then I'll finally release the complete OCO templates pack once and for all. :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 01:17:36 by Lit Knob »

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 16, 2022, 22:20:20 »
Original templates (not counting black and white ones) have the following issues (my templates fix all of them):
  • 2:11 and 12 don't "bounce", and the transparent frames have an opacity of 36% instead of 50%.

• 2:31 has an opacity of 53% instead of 69%.

• 3:12 is 167 pixels wide instead of 168.

• Frame 11 of 3:13 is offset 1 pixel to the right.

• Frame 4 of 3:43. Same. (found here).

• Frame 10 of 4:3. Same.

• Frame 5 of 14:13. Same.

• Frame 3 of 14:20. Same.
Some of the black and white templates also have mistakes. My templates fix them as well (and are also in color and labeled).

There's some cosmetic issues in original objects, in both vanilla and KS+ (my templates fix them):

Nifflas' objects
  • Frame 1 of 2:17 has an extra black pixel.
  • Frame 2 of 4:10 is the exact same as frame 1 (they are different in 4:11).
  • 3:29 has "shorter feet" in some frames.
  • When facing right, frame 0 of 3:32 is the same as frame 2 (it should be the same as frame 1 instead).
egomassive's objects
  • Frame 11 of 19:14 is miscolored.
  • Frame 8 of 19:27 "has turquoise feet".
  • Frame 1 of 19:36 is miscolored.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 23:08:18 by Lit Knob »

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 21, 2022, 02:45:18 »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1072 on: September 21, 2022, 15:51:04 »
You two have been busy. I just spent hours checking up on all these reports and fixing most of them as I went. Some of these things may not be fixable though...

The "Gustav Issue" was a thorn in my side from the beginning of OCO's. It's a mess, but I thought of a new approach that could get me away from one size fits all solutions.

For object that flip when they shouldn't, I'm not sure of there's anyway to fix that, especially if a creature flips for some animations and not others. The OCO has to check up on its partner to mimic them. Unfortunately, objects can report they're facing left even when they don't have a left-facing animation.

The non-blinking (and constant gleaming) are because the OCO changes its animation when its invisible partner does. Blinking is usually the "stopped" animation starting over. All the OCO sees is that the "stopped" animation is still playing.

Anyway, thank you both for putting so much effort into making this mod better. It has been suggested that the remake of the machine might come out in a month, so I need to give that my priority right now. I'll probably hammer this out by November.

@GrayFace: Copy any feature of KS+ you want. I like KS Ex. I think it's the better mod. And if you implement every feature KS+ has and release that editor you've promised, then I can stop maintaining my mod.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 15:53:27 by egomassive »

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 21, 2022, 18:56:47 »
The "Gustav Issue" was a thorn in my side from the beginning of OCO's. It's a mess, but I thought of a new approach that could get me away from one size fits all solutions.
If you are planning to fix this, let me know if my templates need to be "un-shifted" accordingly. :)

The non-blinking (and constant gleaming) are because the OCO changes its animation when its invisible partner does. Blinking is usually the "stopped" animation starting over. All the OCO sees is that the "stopped" animation is still playing.
Huh. But then why do custom 4:18 and 14:21-24 blink correctly? This issue only affects their golden variants and the absurd spikers.

Anyway, thank you both for putting so much effort into making this mod better. It has been suggested that the remake of the machine might come out in a month, so I need to give that my priority right now. I'll probably hammer this out by November.
Been a pleasure. :)
I just inadvertently spoiled myself your Machine from Discord and... Wow, it looks gorgeous. :D
I'm also a big fan of your Endless Winter cutscenes. Probably some of the best I've seen in all levels I've played, at the time of writing (VG and his sister also did an outstanding work on The White Elephant cutscenes).

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1074 on: September 22, 2022, 06:24:06 »
Huh. But then why do custom 4:18 and 14:21-24 blink correctly? This issue only affects their golden variants and the absurd spikers.

Ha! I just looked into the static spiker code (AKA: the Toast). I had already found a solution to the blinking issue. I completely forgot. I just need to implement it in the other faulty custom blinkers.

I've already tried my new ideas to solve left-alignment and left-facing issues. I'm happy to report they both work perfectly. I just need to go around and implement them. For left-alignment I've focused on the ones that change direction, e.g. 4:3, since they can't be fixed in the templates. Eventually, I should fix them all though. I'm keeping a list of every object I tweak.

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 22, 2022, 15:59:54 »
Nice! Are custom 14:1 and 3:20 fixable as well? They are not in the reports, but they lack their proper left versions, so 14:1's shading, and 3:20's hair get mirrored, when they shouldn't. I think they would need a "double sprite sheet" to work correctly. Not sure if that's worth it or even possible though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 16:41:50 by Lit Knob »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1076 on: September 23, 2022, 00:17:54 »
I saw those come up in the discussion. They're not compatible with the OCO system as it is. I have been looking at the main instruction set for OCO rendering and I'm not entirely happy with it. So, I'll keep them in mind if I do make changes there.

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 19, 2023, 02:43:44 »
reading through glip's KS taser handbook i found this bit:

7.5 Sticky, No Jump, and No Climb (0:13, 0:25, 0:11)
The no climb tile is object 11 in bank 0. If the Player Climb Checker overlaps a No Climb tile (or Juni does not possess the climb powerup), then the Player Climb Checker is moved to screen position -100, -100. Because no collision can make it there during normal gameplay, this effectively negates Juni’s climb ability. If mods exist with the capability to create offscreen collision, then it may be possible to activate the Player Climb Checker overlap even without the powerup15.

15There are a couple ways in which this could occur. Moving pieces of collision would allow us to have collision that moves to -100, -100. Blocks that can be spawned at will could be spawned at negative coordinates. Solid custom objects can either be made big enough or shifted with an offset to extend past the screen and overlap -100, -100.

KS+ does let me spawn objects at negative coordinates using triggers, and objects slightly outside of the bounds of the level are still collidable, but i can't seem to find any set of x/y spawn values for a trigger (e.g. -5,-5) that results in the climb check always succeeding. does KS+ specifically account for this?

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 19, 2023, 23:20:38 »
Summary of all issues as of 1.3.8 - Editor 1.3.9

KS+
Editor+
Customnibus
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 01:49:23 by Lit Knob »

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 20, 2023, 15:12:58 »
suggestion: in the f1 info for artifacts, put what number they are for shift warps; e.g. red artifacts should have the line "Tallied as Artifact1 for Flag Warps", yellow artifacts should have "Tallied as Artifact2 for Flag Warps", etc. so it's easier to tell right away what number an artifact is without having to scroll through the artifacts first