egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #1020 on: October 12, 2021, 11:07:32 »
I wonder if it will be possible to use version 1080 on 3820x2160 monitors with a scale of 200% in Windows?
If the size of the monitor is a multiple of 1920x1080 it think it will give integer scaling.

I forgot to mention that the edge highlighter will now turn green when the detector glows green. I've always had trouble seeing that glow on backgrounds of a similar color or when the detector was also glowing red. Of course the edge highlighter has to be visible to do any good. (Hold E or press H.)

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 12, 2021, 13:29:22 »
Hello!

Thank you so much for your continued support of KS+!

My experience so far with the V-Sync was great, and I managed to get some smoooooth looking gameplay after following your instuctions. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right to get the most out of the experience.

• Set the monitor refresh rate to 50hz using Windows Display Settings
  • Launch "Knytt Stories Plus 1080.exe"
  • Using CTRL-Z, I zoom in to make the screen as large as possible.
  • Under Options, Set "V-Sync" to checked.
  • Use Alt-Enter to enter full-screen mode.*

*Note that I did NOT use CTRL-X to enter "Cinema Mode." It seemed marginally better performance to use Alt-Enter, but that might be my imagination. There seemed to be no aspect ratio display differences, unlike in KS and KS Plus "original" executables, which both have that visible analog-like distortion when using Alt-Enter.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 16:41:09 by pfrangip »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1022 on: October 12, 2021, 15:18:51 »
@pfrangip: That all sound correct. If you have a 1080 monitor and use the 1080 executable, cinema mode and fullscreen mode should look identical. The difference is cinema mode is really just a maximized window and therefore subject to Win8/10's enforced 60fps with v-sync. With KS having a native frame-rate of 50 you get an approximate experience of 37fps. In fullscreen you're free of both the 60fps and the v-sync if your graphics hardware allows it.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1023 on: December 21, 2021, 17:44:52 »
Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.3.8
  • Hologram glitches fixed for new levels
  • "Please Wait" message when switching to level selection menu.

Get Level Editor Plus 1.3.8
  • Major performance boost when script panel is open.
  • Custom fonts now appear in sign tab word bubble.

When you make a new KS+ level in the KSLE+ there will be a new instruction in the World.ini's World group, "HoloFix = True". This changes hologram behavior in two ways. Custom character holograms will have the same timing as default holograms. This means there's a brief shutdown period when deactivating holograms. Monster targeting and deny-hologram shifts will continue to see the hologram during this time. The second change is removal of the erroneous shutdown sound heard sometimes. When you deployed a hologram, scrolled screens, and attempted to immediately deploy another hologram you could hear a shutdown sound for the hologram that was still being destroyed on the previous screen. Now you will not hear the sound, but you will still have to wait the shutdown period before you can deploy another hologram.

Large World.ini files caused horrible lagging of the editor when the script panel was open. The sluggishness came from scrolling the script pad to the current screen's instruction group. It had been using a search function I wrote in MMF2's pseudo code. Now it uses the Scintilla extension's built-in search functions written in a lightning fast C language (I don't recall which one.) I also shortened the time it takes for the map editor to start fast scrolling when an arrow key is held. For an additional speed up, the script editor won't update until you release the arrow keys.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 18:03:05 by egomassive »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #1024 on: December 21, 2021, 23:34:11 »
You're doing great work here Egomassive! Thank you. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline cman

• View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 17, 2022, 21:55:39 »
The 1080 native option is something I have been wishing for a while!! thanks!!!

Something I think would be very useful is to be able to mark a level as completed. Those would show some sort of icon or maybe the border color of the rectangle in another color indicating that has been completed.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1026 on: January 17, 2022, 23:17:36 »
Glad to hear it. I have decided to put out 1080 versions with every update.

I don't know how I could judge whether a level is completed or not. Not every level uses the win object. Even "The Machine" takes you to an in-game menu when you beat it. Also, some levels have multiple endings that use the win object, so there'd be lots of stuff left to do after winning.

Offline cman

• View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 18, 2022, 18:51:49 »
Glad to hear it. I have decided to put out 1080 versions with every update.

I don't know how I could judge whether a level is completed or not. Not every level uses the win object. Even "The Machine" takes you to an in-game menu when you beat it. Also, some levels have multiple endings that use the win object, so there'd be lots of stuff left to do after winning.

I was thinking in the user marking it as completed. When you have many levels added and you play from time to time only, it could be helpful to mark yourself those that you completed or you don't want to play anymore so when you browse the levels it is easy to focus on those that are yet to be played. So it is more like a tag the user can add to each level in the list.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1028 on: January 18, 2022, 19:42:07 »
Oh that makes sense. I will occasionally archive levels I want to keep, but don't need in my level selection menu. If I need to make another update I might add something.

By the way, it's not what you're asking for and you probably already noticed it anyway, but there's a "new" category in the filter buttons at the left side of the level selection menu. It will list levels which you have installed with KS+ but not played yet.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 19:44:21 by egomassive »

Offline Lit Knob

• Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: January 26, 2022, 08:31:37 »
In what font is the "Press F1 info box" written? I only know it's the same Nifflas used in original tileset info bars
"The flaw expert" -egomassive

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1030 on: January 26, 2022, 21:39:18 »
We just had a discussion about that font on the Discord channel recently. It's called "Small Fonts". I believe it's a basic Windows font, but it's a raster font as opposed to a true-type font so you wont find it listed in programs that only use true-type fonts. The screen coordinates are font size 6 and the F1 help messages are size 7.

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 27, 2022, 04:03:38 »
I went to check in my Fonts folder and yep. It's a preinstalled .fon file like Fixedsys, so as you said it's not vector (and that's definitely why it has almost perfect kerning).

I have no idea how to write with .fon files, I have no softwares capable of doing that, so I made a handy png with most characters. I can grab the single letters to "write" that way. Still better than nothing.

Thanks Egomassive

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1032 on: January 27, 2022, 07:14:31 »
I checked and you can use it with Notepad, the basic one that still comes with Windows as an accessory. If you don't have it, Notepad++ is an excellent replacement which you can use raster fonts with. Go into Settings -> Style Configurator... then select the font and check the "Use global font" box.

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 27, 2022, 08:11:51 »
Ohhhh I'm SO dumb, of course I have Notepad. Thank you so much Egomassive  C)

*Gives a star*
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 20:28:56 by Lit Knob »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1034 on: January 29, 2022, 04:35:48 »
Get Level Editor Plus 1.3.9

The new super fast search function didn't always run when it was supposed to.