• View Profile
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #1005 on: December 09, 2018, 20:07:07 »
Can you provide a source code?

Offline FluroM

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 15, 2020, 14:33:30 »
Maybe you can add thing that will work like hologram availability switch. So if you have allowed hologram in the level, then each screen where this object will be would have disabled hologram and you can use it only on 0:48 objects. OR if you have disabled hologram in the level, then each screen where this object will be would have enabled hologram. This could work on the 0:48 object too. (so if allowed hologram by settings or the new object, it will create area where you cannot place it)

To avoid misunderstand:

The New Object:
if limited hologram (by settings) -> the screen it is in will not have limited hologram
if not limited hologram (by settings) -> the screen it is in will have limited hologram

0 : 48 old object:
if limited hologram (by settings or the new object) -> the area with 0:48 object will not have limited hologram
if not limited hologram (by settings or the new object) -> the area with 0:48 object will have limited hologram

This can be useful with some puzzles. Like switch to turn off and on hologram.

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #1007 on: November 25, 2020, 05:49:25 »
Okay, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread before, but: is there a way to make the level select / file select screen navigatable with the left and right arrow keys (as well as making the current page of levels selectable with the 1-8 keys), just like in KS Ex? And also, there's this weird tick where sometimes pressing the 'next page' button takes a tiny bit longer than it usually should. I know it happens in vanilla KS, but it doesn't happen in KS Ex.

And also showing more than one level for the 'Last Played' and 'Last Installed' categories would be a big help, to be honest.

Thanks in advance.
Figured I'd bump this request since Ego is lurking the boards again. Sorry in advance.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1008 on: November 27, 2020, 16:13:17 »
I had another release ready to go, but then I read all the replies I've missed in this thread.

Visual bug: if Juni places down a hologram, then her ability to place/remove holograms (Power7) is removed via shift while she still has the hologram out, Juni will look transparent even after she leaves the screen. This is only fixed once she dies or obtains the hologram ability again.
Definitely a bug I'll fix before release.

I'm having an issue in one of the levels I am working on (and I have already updated to the latest versions of both KS+ and the editor) where I try to set a third shift on a screen to autosave the game when passed over. When I select this option, the editor just closes down. This is fairly annoying and it is preventing me from setting this shift. What do you think the issue might be?
I have no idea, sorry. I tried breaking a level with bad World.ini entries as VG suggested the problem may be, but I couldn't crash the editor. Hopefully, you figured this out 2 years ago when you asked.

It seems like the ShiftCharacter fails to work if the corresponding shift is triggered at the same time as another shift, regardless of the other shift's properties. Demonstration level is attached.
By design, some shift functionality is suspended when multiple shifts are being activated at once. Some things only execute once for every shift contact. When multiple shifts are activated they are prioritized alphabetically.

Character switching is designed as it is with idea that if 2 character changing auto-shifts are side by side, then the change will happen uniformly when traveling through them in either direction. Specifically, the second shift activated will not change your character until the first shift activated is no longer in contact. Although I've tried to program for every contingency, stacking shifts is not recommended.

Maybe you can add thing that will work like hologram availability switch. ...
I'm afraid that would be confusing for designers and players. With Shifts you can give and take powers, which should do what you're describing.

Okay, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread before, but: is there a way to make the level select / file select screen navigatable with the left and right arrow keys (as well as making the current page of levels selectable with the 1-8 keys), just like in KS Ex? ...

And also showing more than one level for the 'Last Played' and 'Last Installed' categories would be a big help, to be honest.

Thanks in advance.
KS Ex uses a custom made plugin written in one of the C languages. It gives KS Ex a huge performance boost over KS+. Key binding is a huge pain as I recall, but I'll take a look at the arrow key thing.

I like the sound of KS+ remembering the last 8 plays or installs, but I'd have to overhaul the way that works. The level selector makes a chart of all the levels and their properties. The categories and search box filter that list. "Last Played" and "Last Installed" filter for a specific level name and author, so it's the only level left in the chart. Searching for 2 levels would empty the chart. ... Basically, it wont work without a completely different approach, and I'm not up for that.

Can you provide a source code?
When I release the next update for KS+ and Level Editor+ I plan to release both sources as well.

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 27, 2020, 23:36:00 »
Could you reconsider trying to add an ambiance mute button for the next version? (Thanks for still working on KS+ after all this time, btw <3)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 23:22:24 by canteven / ncrecc »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1010 on: December 08, 2020, 20:02:33 »
Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.3.6
  • You can make 255 more COs for your levels in bank 254.
  • Fixed the hologram bug canteven found.
  • You can navigate pages in the level selector with arrow keys.
  • At this point, I have no idea what changes the unreleased version 1.3.5 has, but those changes are in here too.

Get Level Editor Plus 1.3.6
  • You can edit bank 254 COs with the script editor.
  • All the validation checks for tilesets, music, etc. have been disabled so be careful.
  • Added an entry to the menu for a "Level Merger" tool that doesn't exist yet.

The source is available too.

I had it so you could select a level with the number keys, but I hated the way it was implemented so I removed it. Also, it made it seem like there should be mouse-free navigation options for everything which filled me with dread.

"What's a Level Merger tool?" I imagine you asking me. Well, to answer your question, I might build a tool for placing parts of one level into another. I got the source for the KS Level Composer thinking it would get me most of the way there, but it's written in Pascal which I will have to relearn. Also, Xoft names things with abbreviations and doesn't site his code very much, so it's looking like a long slog for me.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 20:04:20 by egomassive »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 09, 2020, 02:34:50 »
  • You can make 255 more COs for your levels in bank 254.
*Heavy breathing*

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1012 on: December 09, 2020, 09:59:58 »
*Heavy breathing*
On one hand the worry that I would run out of CO slots hampered my creativity. On the other hand I know I'm feeding your CO addiction, and for that I'm sorry.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #1013 on: December 10, 2020, 19:53:38 »
I got the source for the KS Level Composer thinking it would get me most of the way there, but it's written in Pascal which I will have to relearn.
Since I actively use Delphi working on some proprietary software I could help you with the language, if you have any questions. However I am not very aware of the internal structure of the Knytt Stories levels, so I don't know if I'll be some help there.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1014 on: December 11, 2020, 14:17:56 »
Since I actively use Delphi working on some proprietary software I could help you with the language, if you have any questions. However I am not very aware of the internal structure of the Knytt Stories levels, so I don't know if I'll be some help there.
Great! Here's a question, should I get Delphi to edit this code? When I they demanded my phone and email for the free version I said no thanks, but I suspect I'm making things a lot harder on myself by going a different route.

You're familiar with the World.ini. The other main data file is the Map.bin which is a compressed file full of bytes. There are headers for each screen of a level each followed by the 3006 bytes it takes to define that screen. This segment of Xoft's code lays them out:
Code: [Select]
TKSTileLayer = record
Tile: array[0..9, 0..24] of byte;
end;

TKSObjLayer = record
Obj: array[0..9, 0..24] of byte;
Bank: array[0..9, 0..24] of byte;
end;

TKSRoomRec = record
Tile: array[0..3] of TKSTileLayer;
Obj:  array[4..7] of TKSObjLayer;
TilesetA: byte;
TilesetB: byte;
AtmosA: byte;
AtmosB: byte;
Music: byte;
Background: byte;
end; // 3006 bytes

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #1015 on: December 11, 2020, 21:37:37 »
Great! Here's a question, should I get Delphi to edit this code?
KSLC seems to be written under Delphi 6 or 7 (the sources for 0.3.16 I found on http://xoft.cz/games/kslc.html).
Since it was the version used in my programming classes at grammar school, I should be familiar with it.
However I'll have to check it out since it seems to use some external components not included in the source.
I'll try my best and let you know then.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #1016 on: March 17, 2021, 19:21:56 »
Little bug with "Use Alternate Death":
1. I've enabled it, completed a level.
2. I've started a new level. "Use Alternate Death" menu item is checked, but standard death is used instead.
It would be best if upon clicking its state was saved in Data folder as well, so that one dosn't have to enable it each time when starting a new level.

About KSLC: Delphi is right up my alley. It's great that you've found source code. I wish I remembered on which levels it crashes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 19:43:03 by GrayFace »

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #1017 on: March 17, 2021, 21:11:49 »
About KSLC: Delphi is right up my alley. It's great that you've found source code. I wish I remembered on which levels it crashes.
A while ago, I started porting it to Lazarus, since it used some special component I could not find source of. However, in my port, levelscreen rendering is not implemented yet. Thanks for reminding that.
https://github.com/comhon/kslc/tree/topic/lazconv
Currently I am working on some other project, but I hope I'll be able to finish it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 21:17:11 by Comhon »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #1018 on: October 12, 2021, 10:14:31 »
Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.3.7
  • Search box is selected when you open the level selection screen.
  • Revamped menu options to behave more uniformly especially on game wins.
  • V-sync option added as well as a native version for 1080 screens.
  • Edge highlighter turns green when the detector glows green.

Be aware that keyboard shortcuts don't work while the search box has focus.

The v-sync option may not have any noticeable affect. Windows 8 and 10 force v-sync for all windowed applications. Only in fullscreen mode can you experience non-synchronized refresh rates on some computers. This allows screen tearing. So, the option to enable v-sync in KS+ may allow some users to experience the true 50 frames per second the game runs at without tearing if they set their monitors to 50hz and play in fullscreen mode. It all depends on your graphics hardware. The 1080 version is a separate executable that should give you integer scaling on 1920x1080 monitors. It will not work properly for other monitor sizes. You must choose your preferred zoom level before entering fullscreen mode. Disclaimer: I can't properly test these features since I do not have the proper hardware. If anyone does get improved performance from any of this, then please let me know.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:09:27 by egomassive »

Offline Mitorun

• Web Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Knytt Stories fan website
« Reply #1019 on: October 12, 2021, 10:50:47 »
I wonder if it will be possible to use version 1080 on 3820x2160 monitors with a scale of 200% in Windows?