egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #990 on: March 03, 2018, 23:31:28 »
I think this has been mentioned before too, but the KS+ editor doesn't block the creation of a level with forbidden characters (like : ) in the name, despite this breaking everything.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #991 on: March 05, 2018, 01:40:21 »
@Sergio C.: I couldn't manage to recreate the "Could not pack file" error. It's weird since you weren't trying to pack the file. I agree that the circumstances of this error are too special to worry about.

As for forbidden characters in folder names, I could easily fix this by throwing up an error message instead of moving to the editor. That could alleviate moments of confusion for the level designer. Alone, it's not important enough for an update in my opinion. However, this relates to a more serious issue, which is acceptable folder names that are deemed unacceptable by the directory packer. Everything appears fine until you share the level and players get a corrupted file error upon installation. The "." is the only character I'm aware of at this time. Does anyone know of others? I'll do some testing.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #992 on: March 13, 2018, 18:32:18 »
It seems that, when a minimized KS+ Level editor window is re-opened, the screen preview panel (the one that appears when you hold down Space) suddenly stops working after making any single edit to the current screen, even if said function was working perfectly right after re-opening the editor window (when I hold down Space before making any changes). I can only get the preview panel to appear again after switching focus to another application, then back to the editor. It's just a minor issue, since this seems to happen only when the user minimizes the editor window (as far as I know), but it'd be nice if this could be fixed in the next update.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #993 on: March 15, 2018, 07:46:15 »
@Vegetal G.: It seems there's a problem with the focus control. You can fix it by moving the focus to the script editor and back. Minimizing and focus handling are things the underlying software platform fails at horribly. In all honesty, this error has probably arisen from the dozens of fail-safes I've added to prevent such problems.

I will be releasing updates soon. In KS+ I've discovered screen-brightening bugs out after cutscenes. In KSLE+ I'd like to work on some of the recently found bugs as well as improve the performance of the preview window. When you're editing the tilesets not only do you have to toggle them in the editor to refresh them, but you must also toggle them through the preview window. It's a bit of a pain.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #994 on: March 20, 2018, 15:18:42 »
Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.3.3
  • Fixed a bug with screen brightening after cutscenes

Get Level Editor Plus 1.3.3
  • Creating new levels with bad names displays an error message
  • When compressing a level, it wont offer to change the folder name if you added a "." to the level name
  • The preview panel continues working after minimizing the editor
  • The preview panel reloads the tilesets and gradient every time you open it
  • Corrections to F1 help messages
You can still cause problems by having weird characters in the world or author names and choosing to change the folder name during compression. So uh, don't. :S

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #995 on: March 25, 2018, 04:12:44 »
I just discovered that if a music file is set to loop in World.ini, it will still only play once when used in a cutscene. Seems like that shouldn't be the case?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #996 on: March 25, 2018, 17:09:15 »
I just discovered that if a music file is set to loop in World.ini, it will still only play once when used in a cutscene. Seems like that shouldn't be the case?
Sounds reasonable...

Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.3.4

Added looping and intro music functionality to cutscenes. If a music track has an intro in the game, then it will have one in a cutscene. If a music track loops in the game, then it will loop in a cutscene.

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 31, 2018, 19:02:14 »
Visual bug: if Juni places down a hologram, then her ability to place/remove holograms (Power7) is removed via shift while she still has the hologram out, Juni will look transparent even after she leaves the screen. This is only fixed once she dies or obtains the hologram ability again.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 19:04:47 by canteven »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #998 on: June 01, 2018, 22:33:12 »
I'm having an issue in one of the levels I am working on (and I have already updated to the latest versions of both KS+ and the editor) where I try to set a third shift on a screen to autosave the game when passed over. When I select this option, the editor just closes down. This is fairly annoying and it is preventing me from setting this shift. What do you think the issue might be?
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #999 on: June 03, 2018, 02:37:01 »
Okay, now I'm having another issue. I'm trying to edit the text of a sign and it's closing down on me. I really am at a loss as to what to do now.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #1000 on: June 03, 2018, 14:30:49 »
I tried to reproduce this problem on my side just out of curiosity, but it doesn't seem to happen with any of the levels I tried. It might be the case that the editor is having trouble parsing the contents of the World.ini file of that particular level for some reason (unless you're experiencing the same problem with other maps as well). I'd suggest inspecting the World.ini file thoroughly, looking for unclosed tags, weird characters, missing line breaks or any other similar stuff.

Also, does this happen with a KS+ level (Format=4) or a vanilla KS one? I'm guessing it's the former, but if that's not the case, you could try the original level editor and see if you can reproduce the issue there.
Some KS levels by me:

« Reply #1001 on: June 07, 2018, 10:11:01 »
It seems like the ShiftCharacter fails to work if the corresponding shift is triggered at the same time as another shift, regardless of the other shift's properties. Demonstration level is attached.
Lurk more.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #1002 on: June 07, 2018, 14:54:07 »
I asked a similar question some time ago, and it seems shifts that are placed on the same tile and are triggered simultaneously (same collision mask) generally produce unexpected results when multiple flags and other properties are toggled (I think this applies to vanilla KS as well, though). The solution is to make one of the shifts timed, even if it's just a very small delay. E.g: ShiftTime(A)=1. Note that this works correctly with two shifts, but not with three, even if different delay values are set for each timed shift.

If all else fails, try making duplicates of that screen (each one with up to two flag-toggling shifts, and a third one just for the screen transition) and keep shifting Juni through those duplicate rooms until all required properties are set.

Edit: I just tried the demo level you attached. The character-changing shift works as expected if Shift A is timed and both Shift A and B are set to trigger in the same way (both manually or both on touch). However, it seems the workaround is not valid if one of the shifts is triggered on touch and the other one isn't.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 16:38:06 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

« Reply #1003 on: June 07, 2018, 23:52:29 »
Thanks VG! That's good to know. Can't say I've ever come across that in vanilla KS. Makes me wonder if it's exploitable in some way...
Lurk more.

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #1004 on: November 11, 2018, 19:50:57 »
Okay, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread before, but: is there a way to make the level select / file select screen navigatable with the left and right arrow keys (as well as making the current page of levels selectable with the 1-8 keys), just like in KS Ex? And also, there's this weird tick where sometimes pressing the 'next page' button takes a tiny bit longer than it usually should. I know it happens in vanilla KS, but it doesn't happen in KS Ex.

And also showing more than one level for the 'Last Played' and 'Last Installed' categories would be a big help, to be honest.

Thanks in advance.