egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #915 on: February 03, 2017, 18:34:12 »
I just noticed that Invisible Object #18 (Bank 16) is solid to regular flying creatures, but flying golden creatures can pass through it. This happens even when the creature is the golden version of a regular creature that is affected by said invisible block (e.g: Bank2 Obj17). Is this the intended behavior?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 22:03:47 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #916 on: February 04, 2017, 15:43:51 »
Wow! How did I miss that?

Get Knytt Stories Plus 1.2.9

Change log: Flying golden creatures now obey the flyer-blocker where they should. *star to VG*

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #917 on: February 05, 2017, 20:21:46 »
Thanks for the fix! This will come in handy with my current project :)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #918 on: February 21, 2017, 23:42:33 »
Get Level Editor Plus 1.2.9

It was mentioned recently that designers are getting the original no-climb object mixed up with the improved no-climb object which is a problem if they're designing an original KS level. To prevent that this version displays a KS+ graphic if you have a KS+ object selected.

For years KS+ has been tweaking the map color for the darkest gradients, but the number displayed in the level editor has remained un-tweaked. I've known about it the whole time, but I never remembered to fix it when updating the editor until now.

Do those warning messages about blank tiles get on your nerves? They get on mine. Now, all such messages clear themselves away after 2 seconds.

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #919 on: February 22, 2017, 04:29:06 »
THANK YOU for this update, Tim. The KS+ graphic is a huge help to me since I'm still relatively new to level making and I do want to try making KS & KS+-compatible levels at some point (with the help of Gibber's guide, of course). :D

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #920 on: February 22, 2017, 19:35:27 »
On behalf of all the lazy tileset authors in the world, I can't thank you enough for making the "fully transparent tiles" warning dismissable, ego :D
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #921 on: February 22, 2017, 20:11:16 »
On behalf of all the lazy tileset authors in the world, I can't thank you enough for making the "fully transparent tiles" warning dismissable, ego :D
You're all welcome. The warnings are helpful, but most they're a nuisance. Now we all can just ignore them. I would have made the expiration time even shorter, but I wanted to give people a chance to actually read the warnings if they're new to KS level design.

Immediately after releasing the latest version of the editor I stumbled across a bunch of errors in the help hints. :sigh: I must have been slightly catatonic by the time I wrote hints for bank 14. Objects 6, 12, 13, and 14 are the mistakes I've found so far if you want to see how bad I am at proof reading my own work. I'll let these errors stand for now, and make version 1.3 a double release for game and editor when/if I get there.

« Reply #922 on: May 07, 2017, 21:23:25 »
I just made an OCO for Bank10Obj4, and the animation... doesn't really animation as well as i hoped it would.

I basically just took the file from Knytt Stories DS and put some colors on it. KS+ Instructions.txt doesn't actually say how you're supposed to make it work (or maybe it does and i just didn't see it), but it doesn't say "Not implemented" either, so i assume this is supposed to be possible.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #923 on: May 08, 2017, 01:03:19 »
There's definitely a mistake here. I've set it up to use the same animation sequence when travelling up and down, but it restarts the sequence when it changes directions. I'll update after I've checked all the bouncers for this error.

There's not much I can do about it lagging behind the default object. Your sprite sheet is correct. I don't know why I left out the instructions.

Edit
Download Knytt Stories Plus 1.3.0 and Level Editor Plus 1.3.0

Only objects 10:4 and 10:5 had the problem StraightFlame discovered. Other wise there are only minor updates.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:04:32 by egomassive »

Offline cman

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 08, 2017, 14:17:09 »
Hello,

Being the map improvements my favorite feature of KS+, I wonder: is there a way to move the map around and not seeing just the area of the map that is around your current screen? could this be implemented in the future? I think it might be big help in very large levels and it will be good feature not just for levels ready for KS+ but for old levels using the classic engine too!

What do you think?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #925 on: June 09, 2017, 04:47:59 »
KS+ is basically complete. I'll keep fixing mistakes if they're found, but I don't plan to do any more development.

The map system could benefit from being more elaborate, but what was of utmost importance to me was simplicity of use for designers and players, and an aesthetic that felt like it could have been made by Nifflas himself. With those as my priorities there are good reasons for the map to be the way it is. One, the larger it gets the longer it takes to open. As it is, you probably didn't notice that it takes time to open up, and that is how I wanted it to be. It should feel instantaneous. Increasing the map size a little increases the processing time a lot. Two, the tiles that make up the map are already pretty small. Vertically, I can't see how I could double the number of tiles and still clearly show the difference between a black space, an empty space, and a space you haven't been to yet. Three, I suppose I could make it so you could scroll around the map. Here we run into processing issues again. It is beyond my skill and imagination as a programmer to create a system that would feel sleek without requiring special tools for designers to make their map and requiring designers to take active steps to make a map.

Offline cman

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 09, 2017, 15:24:07 »
Thanks for your answer egomassive!

Fair enough. I am not aware at all of the development challenges of any modifications on it and yes, I agree that is much more important to keep it responsive, right now you press the key and the map is already there!. Just to make it clear what I had on mind was just as it is (same size, same looking, same tile size) and being able to scroll around. It just happened that I tried to actually scroll it around the first time I played a level with the map forced on, so I decided to message here, to see if this has been discussed.

Again thanks for all the details. And anyways, it is amazing as it is already!

Offline SilasMann

• A Real Horse
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 10, 2017, 06:54:28 »
If you're still fixing bugs, I get this happening semi-frequently (maybe once an hour). All of the buttons work (I think), and it fixes itself if I close out of KS+ editor and reopen. It occurs at least when I minimize the program and then open it back up-- maybe when I edit a tileset and then Ctrl+F2 it doesn't like that? I am using Win10.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:33:40 by SilasMann »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #928 on: June 11, 2017, 04:52:29 »
@SilasMann:  :S That's interesting. It looks to me like the graphics are getting mixed up. I'm not having any success recreating this on my end, so I want you to do an experiment for me. Place the contents of this zip file in your Knytt Stories directory or wherever you keep the level editor. My theory is that the external dependencies, application extensions, on your machine have become incompatible with the program. So, if you drop the ones from my computer (win10 as well) next to the level editor they that might solve it.

Side Note: Looking into this, I had the pleasant surprise of discovering that Nifflas ran into a similar issue back in 2008. His question on another support forum was the first search result, and the answer he got answered my question. I guess I'm still following his lead.

@SilasMann: You can reload a tileset just by changing it and then changing it back. If you want the preview bars and the zoomed view to refresh then you have to get them to show the wrong tileset before switching back. That's how I've always done it, but ctrl+F2 sounds more convenient as long as I remember to save my changes first.

Offline SilasMann

• A Real Horse
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 11, 2017, 06:07:11 »
Ctrl+S,F2 is probably my most used button combo in the editor.

So, opening the file gets me this, while trying to extract gets me this. Opening in 7zip I get this, and then extracting that gives me this. Doesn't matter where the zip is located. What does it want from me??

EDIT: Can't be bothered to edit background info out while currently using a touchpad. But do notice I have 2 separate egomassive.com bookmarks lol  ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 17:03:22 by SilasMann »