egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #855 on: February 26, 2016, 14:05:36 »
  • You can activate 2 Shift objects at once if one of them is timed.

Neat! This will definitely come in handy for interactive cutscenes :D
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 27, 2016, 06:52:59 »
Actually, while playtesting Deep Freeze and learning about that bug, I actually realized something - this could have fixed a problem of mine, as well!

You see, there's a screen in Deep Freeze where the player will shift right onto another shift, and I observed in one playtester's session that sometimes, the second shift wouldn't fire - I'm not totally sure if what happened has to do with the bug, but if it did, this adjustment may have fixed that!  Neat!
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #857 on: March 09, 2016, 03:36:06 »
I may have found a bug. If there is a lock object (bank 15 object 27-36) on the very left of the screen the unlock sound will play if you activate the hologram with a custom character and leave the screen to the right. This doesn't happen with the default character. It also doesn't happen if the lock is on the right and you leave to the left. I tested this with all four colour locks and the first golden creature lock. I assume it's the same for the rest.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #858 on: March 10, 2016, 05:39:10 »
Thanks P.Ink, I'll take a look. :/

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #859 on: March 10, 2016, 06:11:31 »
Did some more testing. For certain it only seems to happen if you have the means to unlock the lock (key/golden creatures). I had varied results when testing exact location of the lock. The lock doesn't have to be on the leftmost tile but does need to be near the left wall because it sound effect goes off when you reach an area close enough to unlock it. That is to say, the lock acts as if it's on the screen you transition to. Exactly how far away from the leftmost tile is uncertain. It also doesn't have to be on the same row as you. I was able to reproduce the sound by placing the lock several tiles up from where I was walking and jumping as soon as I entered the new screen.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #860 on: March 10, 2016, 22:14:31 »
@Purple Ink: :O I can't reproduce the error! I'm worried this is due to processing power. What are your OS and PC specs? KS+ has had many similar issues, and I've done a lot to compensate. Hopefully I'll find a weakness in the specific circumstance you've described. If I don't find an obvious suspect, I'll have to experiment and I'll need you to test the results for me.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 11, 2016, 00:53:35 »
When trying to create a CO overriding object 4:1, the OCO's animation speed is way, way slower than the wiggling of object 4:1's movement.  Is there something I can do about this or is it something happening with KS+?
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #862 on: March 11, 2016, 03:52:41 »
Did some more testing. The bug occurs regardless of which side the lock is on. It only happens if the character change shift is on the same screen. Seems to happen regardless of what custom character(s) you try it with.

@Purple Ink: :O I can't reproduce the error! I'm worried this is due to processing power. What are your OS and PC specs? KS+ has had many similar issues, and I've done a lot to compensate. Hopefully I'll find a weakness in the specific circumstance you've described. If I don't find an obvious suspect, I'll have to experiment and I'll need you to test the results for me.

CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3 @ 686MHz
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:57:21 by Purple Ink »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #863 on: March 12, 2016, 04:52:15 »
@Purple Ink: The Shift object was the key to reproducing it. Although that's blowing my mind, I should be able to track it down now. Thanks for doing so much probing. *gives hidden star*

@Ultigonio: It's set to animate at a speed of 100 instead of 350. I found a bigger issue though. I was testing an OCO against the original object and discovered the alignment was off. For some reason Nifflas didn't place the hotspots on this object the same way as most. A hotspot is a coordinate on the object that designates where the object's image should be in relation to the object's position. For most 24x24 pixel objects the hotspot is at x,y = 12,12 when facing right and 11,12 when facing left. I programmed OCO's to expect this. Object 4:1 has it's hotspot at 12,12 for both directions which screws up OCO placement when it looks left. I poked around and found some others with weird placements. I need to go through every object now and check the hotspots. And then I need to figure out if I can change them without screwing up their behaviors. *slowly goes bald*
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 05:00:46 by egomassive »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #864 on: March 19, 2016, 08:07:20 »
Get KS+ 1.2.5

This fixes 2 bugs and makes one improvement.
  • I corrected that CC+hologram+shift+KeyBlock bug. Turns out I had a redundant instruction to move the Custom Character graphic, and this was causing the error. Why this was causing the error under such specific circumstances, I haven't a clue.
  • Corrected the speed of an OCO animation.
  • Improved the alignment of several OCO's. I discovered a few objects that could not be corrected without making drastic changes to them. Afraid that this might affect their behaviors I left them be. The sphinx, the rabbits, and the hornets will all have funky alignment if you use them to make Override Custom Objects. This is noted in the instructions text.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #865 on: March 21, 2016, 10:16:52 »
Spotted an editor typo!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #866 on: March 22, 2016, 04:25:25 »
Spotted an editor typo!
*face palm* I'll put that in my to-do list. Since it's mostly aesthetic I won't make an update for it alone. Guess I'll have to find another reason to update the editor.

Progress Report: I've put a little work into the template collection recently --no new release yet. Mainly I've been working on The Tree of Knowledge when I'm Knytting. My website is in the middle of an overhaul, which I've mostly been avoiding since I'd rather working on TToK.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 09, 2016, 05:35:37 »
I'm noticing that sometimes, after using multiple other triggers to spawn objects, the last trigger I use doesn't always work.  I can use this trigger first, and it'll work, but if it's used after the other two, then no objects are spawned.  

Edit: actually, what seems to be causing issues is the Deleting behavior with the trigger.  Trying to spawn new objects after deleting one seems like it can sometimes cause issues - such as only one object in the series of "A/B/C/ spawn" objects actually spawning an object, or the "A/B/C spawn" objects not spawning anything at all. 

Edit 2: No, wait!  It's when I stack "A/B/C delete" objects on top of "A/B/C spawn" objects that the problem occurs!  Weird.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:42:43 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 09, 2016, 10:31:33 »
It's been a while since I struggled with the complicated behaviours of delete and spawn objects, but are your delete blocks deleting your spawn blocks?

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 09, 2016, 18:41:30 »
Definitely not.  The spawn blocks that are stacked on top of the delete blocks work just fine - it's the other ones on the screen that are having issues.  Mind you, the spawn/delete blocks that are stacked are meant to act at the same time (basically, the idea is that, when something is deleted, it has a little "flash" to go with it).
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud