egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #765 on: August 11, 2015, 02:51:14 »
Wow! There was a huge hole in my logic here. The delayed shifts opened the door to having multiple shifts marked as active. The instantaneous shift was cancelling the delay on the other one, and both shifts ran through the the teleportation routine together. Therefore, when the change in X was added to the map, both values were added in!

Below is a direct link to a fixed version for you to test Plural. I need to notify Ultigonio of this fix and make sure that I'm not ruining the level he's developing. If it's a problem for him I may need to be more creative.

KS+ 1.2.0 beta* 4 MB
*There was previously a 1.2.0 beta for single-pass rendering KS+. This is not it.

Edit: Ahh! I found another mistake in the timed-shift code (see image.) The top line will let the program act only on the timed-shift that has expired. The bottom line will let the program act on all timed-shifts if one of them has expired. The top line is the one I should have used. Fixing this will give dramatically different behavior if the shifts don't cause the screen to switch, or more than one type; A, B, or C; is used as timed-shifts on the same screen. Example: A row of Shift-A set to move the character one tile up after 1 second will act once in the current version. If I fix it, it will act for each Shift-A you touched as they expire.

Point is I don't want to change this until I know I'm not destroying all of Ultigonio's hard work.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:03:54 by egomassive »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 11, 2015, 19:29:02 »
I've only done some very brief testing, but it looks like everything seems to be working just fine (except for the shift/trigger animation, which seems to be playing very, very quickly)!  As it turns out, this is a huge boon for my level, too, since it means that the few areas where a player could trigger a non-delayed shift near a delayed shift will no longer be any trouble!  This reopens a few doors for things that I wanted to try, so I'm happy about that.

I'm also noticing that the "other mistake" in your timed-shift code sounds something like the player can hold onto multiple timed shifts at once and have them act separately?  That could be quite exciting for my level, if it doesn't break it outright. :P2

Thanks for keeping me in the loop on this, ego, I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 17:40:39 by Ultigonio »
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #767 on: August 12, 2015, 12:32:46 »
While looking at Tomatoes with the KS+ Editor, it occurred to me it would be nice if it displayed the same tile overlaid on top of itself the same way as it looks in-game (this is flaw carried over from the original editor).

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #768 on: August 12, 2015, 22:44:05 »
The official 1.2.0 update is released. It features the timed shift fixes we've been talking about, and a sticky/no-climb/no-jump combination object, 0:49. This combination works exactly as if you placed all three separate objects on the same tile, thus sticky and no-jump affect the bottom edge of the tile above where you place it.

Get KS+ 1.2.0

There's a Level Editor update is on the agenda. I want to include help tips for the new objects. There are a few new instructions that should be added to the script editor. It's high time I looked into the issue Sergio pointed out. I'm considering showing the correct layering when overlay is in effect.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #769 on: August 13, 2015, 15:03:14 »
Another suggestion, this time from playing Juni in the Haunted House. When using stop music shifts to block sound in a certain part of the room, sound will actually continue playing at low but audible volume. I checked original KS, and it does this as well but the volume is a lot lower. I think it should probably be muted entirely as that seems like the intended effect.

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 13, 2015, 16:48:17 »
Awesome!!  I'm ecstatic that I can now have the player stack shifts - now I just need to find a way to make it so the sound cues don't clash too much when the player uses multiple delayed shifts.  I may also need to make sure that players can't abuse this feature too much.  :P

These improvements are so nice that I think I'll use them as a boosting point to launch myself back into work on Deep Freeze.

...After I finish my bit for LPChip's 100-star level, hah.  Hah.
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #771 on: August 14, 2015, 02:53:49 »
Glad to hear it Ultigonio.

Sergio, I'm surprised to hear that the music doesn't mute entirely. I'm sure it's a happy accident that you can use stop-music shifts in this way, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved. I'll certainly need to see why it works differently than in original KS.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 15, 2015, 23:56:21 »
Forgive me if I'm missing something well known but I can't seem to use any CO from 49 or higher. Is this a known thing? Is there a workaround?

I've never come close to using so many COs in a level before. I have a vague feeling of hearing about COs having an upper limit, but I also had a vague feeling that this was something KS+ fixed. Maybe I'm wrong on one or both counts.
To clarify, no numbers appear in the bank and nothing appears in the editor or ingame when I try and place CO 49 into my level.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 23:59:54 by Talps »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #773 on: August 16, 2015, 00:43:45 »
Forgive me if I'm missing something well known but I can't seem to use any CO from 49 or higher. Is this a known thing? Is there a workaround?

I've never come close to using so many COs in a level before. I have a vague feeling of hearing about COs having an upper limit, but I also had a vague feeling that this was something KS+ fixed. Maybe I'm wrong on one or both counts.
To clarify, no numbers appear in the bank and nothing appears in the editor or ingame when I try and place CO 49 into my level.

If I remember correctly, plural's level 'Orientation' had more than 48 COs in it, and that was regular KS.

Actually, checking the .ini file, that level has 147 COs in it. I have no idea. You might want to contact plural about that.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #774 on: August 16, 2015, 01:04:13 »
Custom objects above #49 do work when they're defined in World.ini and placed in the map. However, the original KS editor won't let you use them by default simply because there are no icon files for them in the Data/Objects/Bank255 folder. You can create an icon file for the object slot you want to use, and then the editor will let you place it in your level.

I don't know if the KS+ editor needs this workaround too, though.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 16, 2015, 01:18:43 »
Huh, i thought KS+ already came with all the Custom Object thumbnails. This thread contains some more info and download files, although i don't know if the links are still active.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 16, 2015, 01:47:10 »
That seems to have done the trick, thanks all. But will it work when people who don't have tiles above 48 play my level?

Edit: Oh, and now I just used one of the new combined no jump/no climb/sticky blocks for the first time; thanks Ego, makes life so much easier!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:04:38 by Talps »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #777 on: August 16, 2015, 01:57:35 »
Shouldn't be a problem. As far as I know, the icon files are only used by the level editor. The actual game doesn't care if the icon file for a CO is present or not.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #778 on: August 16, 2015, 02:10:49 »
That seems to have done the trick, thanks all. But will it work when people who don't have tiles above 48 play my level?
The lack of CO icons in the data folder will not affect gameplay.
Spoiler: explanation (click to show/hide)
VG and Firecat are correct. The fix for this is to add more icons to the Data/Objects/bank255 folder.

Do you guys think I should add these icons into KS+? The set I use I made myself. They looks exactly like the original 40-something icons.
Edit: I checked the links on the thread Firecat found. 2 out of 3 are down, and the last is on a file-sharing site. Since these sites are unreliable for archiving I'll put the icons into the KS+ download. If you prefer the icons you use now to the ones I'll be including make sure you back them up. Merging the folders can overwrite them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:32:26 by egomassive »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #779 on: August 16, 2015, 02:12:11 »
Do you guys think I should add these icons into KS+? The set I use I made myself. They looks exactly like the original 40-something icons.

If you already have them, there's no reason not to, right?
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything