egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod

• 1097 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Re: egomassive's Knytt Stories Plus mod
« Reply #735 on: June 07, 2015, 17:53:40 »
A new bug: ctrl+s no longer mutes running sounds various sounds other than ambiance and music, seemingly at random; I've heard running and jumping sounds intermittently today while the game ought to have been muted, and possibly some monster sounds, too.

EDIT: Also, very minor thing but the template 3:12 is one pixel narrower than it should be (man, it had me worried for a moment; I couldn't work out where I'd gone wrong!)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:03:25 by Talps »

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 08, 2015, 06:34:17 »
Discovered a strange issue just recently: cyan artifact #3 (19:195) respawns after the player dies or leaves the room, regardless of whether or not it has been collected and the game has been saved.  This can lead to a rather silly situation where the player can pick up all 7 cyan artifacts simply by collecting that one, saving, dying, and repeating 6 more times.  This doesn't seem to happen with any of the other cyan artifacts.

Also, I don't know if I asked for this before, but I would definitely appreciate some way to 100% ensure that the player can't shift themselves inside the center of a pink disappearing block (15:37).  I presume you could solve it in a manner similar to how you handled the new invisible blocks?

Also also, the water works great!  I feel like there's some room for clever implementation in the level I'm working on, but I'm not sure I want to expand the scope even more, at this point....
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #737 on: June 08, 2015, 07:06:54 »
@Talps: Ah! This is what happens when you take long hiatuses from coding a very complex program. By allowing another part of the program to control volume levels, I've broken the protocols that control muting. Jumping and landing sounds happen in the same sound channels as most sound effects. After muffling a jump or a land the program sets the channel back to normal volume, thus allowing any sound to be heard if it's played on that channel. Oops. :oops: *star for you*

@Ultigonio: Dang! I thought I had those bugs all worked out. Each collectible has a unique bit stored in an integer. If you ever open up a save file after finding some collectibles you'll see the cryptic numbers they're stored in. These are decimal representations of the binary numbers the computer really uses. Unfortunately, if MMF2 has a straightforward way to work with binary numbers I never found it. So in the program all my bit-wise functions are in cryptic decimal format making it far too easy to screw things up. *I'll give you a star tomorrow*
Edit: Yup. The bit is 65536 in decimal, but it was checking the number 65636.

Edit: I've released an update to address these issues. The crumble blocks have been altered as suggested by Ultigonio. I forgot to mention this before, but the Title and Subtitle fonts are true black since version 1.1.5.

Get KS+ 1.1.6

Edit: I just found a tiny bug which I corrected. I just re-released KS+ 1.1.6 with this fix. When making it possible to loop music I used the Highlight key to reset music quickly to make it easier to test. I never removed this, so pressing H to keep the Screen Edge Highlight on would restart the music too.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 22:02:13 by egomassive »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #738 on: June 10, 2015, 02:51:50 »
I've updated the Features Demonstration level to include some newer features. Mainly swimming has been added to the underwater areas and there's an automated section.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 14, 2015, 22:59:25 »
Thank you so much for this update. I feel like I got all my wishes catered to, I'm gonna take advantage of this.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #740 on: June 15, 2015, 20:38:19 »
Glad to hear it Plural.

I know these updates are coming fast and furious, but I think this will be the last one for a while. I discovered a bug with the custom umbrella not layering correctly. Sometimes objects would pass between the umbrella and the player character. I've fixed that. I also want to warn any early adopters of the underwater physics objects that I moved them to Bank 1 with the rest of the water objects. This means you'll need to delete the object images from Data/Bank_0 yourself. And, you'll need to reapply them to any levels you've already used them in. Sorry, but it makes more sense this way.

Get KS+ 1.1.7 and Level Editor Plus 1.0.2 and Features Demonstration 1.1.7

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 04, 2015, 14:18:22 »
Is it possible to 'flag off' golden creatures?
If not, could it be added? Or an ability to reset all collectibles? For reasons I don't want to go in to, I want to be able to reset the player back to start position, taking away everything she's collected en route; the secret golden creatures in the level are my only fly in the ointment.
However, I understand that the applications of such a feature might be limited so if you don't want to, that's fine.

In other news, I think I've found a bug. I've made OCOs of object 3,12 and unless my mind is totally unravelling, it only ever plays its first animation (the equivalent of the knytt blinking) when the object first loads, and then never repeats it.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #742 on: July 06, 2015, 13:53:31 »
In other news, I think I've found a bug. I've made OCOs of object 3,12 and unless my mind is totally unravelling, it only ever plays its first animation (the equivalent of the knytt blinking) when the object first loads, and then never repeats it.
You found a big bug there. This one is in some of Nifflas' code. Sometimes when an animation is picked at random Nifflas used Random(3)+1. Random(3) generates a number from 0 to 2, so he added a 1 to make it from 1 to 3. The tool-tip even tells you to enter a number between 1 and 16 (because there are 16 possible animation sequences.) The problem is they are really numbered 0 to 15! Standard game objects have an error catching system that defaults to the '0' animation if a non-existent animation is selected. Override Custom Objects opt to do nothing.

I've already found 5 different objects with this issue. I'll need to sift through every object. :sigh: I suspect that MMF may have changed the way animations are numbered.

As for resetting collectibles, there's no mechanic for that. If it helps with "Dragon Age" then I'll add it.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 06, 2015, 22:22:54 »
'Dragon Myth'. :P ('Dragon Age' may be a better title but it's already taken.)
It does, but it's for a... bonus feature, and not urgent.

Sorry to find such a big problem!

EDIT: Finally gotten around to making an underwater area. It works really well and adds a great dynamic to gameplay. Well done, Ego! It's inspiring me with some interesting ideas to try out in other context; puzzles with changing water levels and floating objects would have an interesting perspective from this new angle!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:43:07 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #744 on: July 15, 2015, 11:45:39 »
Here is the latest version:

Knytt Stories Plus 1.1.8 - 4.6 MB

This has several bug fixes:
  • Objects that used the "Fade" transition have been switched to normal animations to be compatible with modern computers. This includes Save flashes, Spring flashes, and Teleport/Item Pickup flashes.
  • Many objects that chose animations at random were written improperly, which made them incompatible with OCOs.
This has new features:
  • Holograms can be limited to being placed on specific locations. Put instruction HoloLimit=True in the World group of the World.ini. Then place object  0:48 where you want Holograms to work.
  • When Shifting you can overwrite the player's save file with one you've created. Set instruction ShiftSave=#, where # is a name you choose. Then copy a save file from the Save directory. Edit it how you want in a text editor. Name it Savegame#.ini, and place it in your level's directory.

Edit: I made a demo level for these features. Get it here.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 16:50:03 by egomassive »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 15, 2015, 17:48:51 »
Ego, you are, as ever, awesome.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #746 on: July 16, 2015, 11:20:39 »
I have a small, belated criticism, feel free to ignore it if you feel strongly otherwise. I think the default sprites used for the golden creature locks are too abstract, and should be replaced with numbers (or possibly Roman numerals if you really don't want numbers). This would make it easy to tell what they require at a glance, then check the inventory to see how far away that goal is. I've been thinking this since they were introduced, but I figured with time I'd probably learn to remember what they all represented. Since that still hasn't happened, I figured I'd bring it up.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #747 on: July 16, 2015, 15:01:52 »
I have a small, belated criticism, feel free to ignore it if you feel strongly otherwise. I think the default sprites used for the golden creature locks are too abstract, and should be replaced with numbers (or possibly Roman numerals if you really don't want numbers). This would make it easy to tell what they require at a glance, then check the inventory to see how far away that goal is. I've been thinking this since they were introduced, but I figured with time I'd probably learn to remember what they all represented. Since that still hasn't happened, I figured I'd bring it up.
To be honest, I've never been satisfied with them. I didn't wan to use symbols from human cultures, since there's no guarantee that Knytt-folk understand them, or even that a human-aware entity created these blocks. On the other hand, the obscurity of them makes them hard for players to understand automatically. Let me see if I can come up wit something better.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 16, 2015, 16:21:49 »
Roman numerals might be good. I believe the clock in 'Knytt Underground' used them, though don't quote me on that.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #749 on: July 16, 2015, 16:23:52 »
First attempt...

@Talps: It's become clear that Knytt-folk and Humans exist in the same universe. Some have come in contact with remnants of humanity as in Knytt Underground. In another game a Knytt person met a human. However, Knytt-folk have a shaky understanding of humanity and their ways.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 16:32:11 by egomassive »